• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is your current Yamaha really that bad?

Ok I love my collector series rtx 129”. But the best part is when my friends ride mine and then tell my other friends they found a deal on a Sidewinder as soon as they sell there Doo or Poos. That’s satisfaction right there with a smile

I love my 2015 turbo MTX Viper. Sure it's had a few minor issues but it's the best sled I've ever owned. The fun Factor scale is right on 10. See you all this weekend at the TY Ride in Munising.

So many people love to bash on the Yamacat. And want a pure Yamaha. It isn’t going to happen. That sled has sailed! Yamaha can’t build a better handling chassis then the pro cross and they know that. So why try. Yes the procross is old now and been out for a while. But with some suspension setup it rocks and will hold its own against any new Polaris or Doo chassis.

My current Yamaha sled is not bad at all, in fact it is pretty damn good. I have a 2014 Venture MP that I bought in 2015. It has 14k kms on it and it has been almost completely trouble free and I have only one real complaint. This model got Tuners in 2014 and they are not appropriate for a utility sled and I didn't catch that when I bought. Largely because Yamaha's website incorrectly said VK style skis over a year after the MP came out with Tuners.

I want to stand up for Yamaha and all the other manufacturers. No sled is ever going to be perfect and no sled is ever going to perfectly fit both my application and expectations. That said, in this time of the Cat agreement Yamaha needs to maintain a strong identity. They can't do that with Yamacat models. Nor with Cats with Yamaha decals. Their reputation for engineering and reliability has slipped. So what to do?

I have one suggestion and that is to excell at service and customer/dealer relations. Be ready to make things right when they go wrong. Own it. That would mean having parts available for warranty work. When a guys engine dies in a brand new sled and you don't have an engine to give him offer him a new sled. The Yamaha brand is based on loyalty, part of the reason for their small market share because people are less likely to be loyal these days. Snowmobiles are small potatoes for Yamaha but I own a snowblower, generator, quad, motorcycles, two outboards, and a sled. It is good business for Yamaha to look for ways to heal the rift in the family.

I expect to be ordering a 2020 VK Pro soon and I look forward to it. I'm really excited. It is likely to have all of the shortcomings well documented on this website and I doubt if I'll be posting to bitch about everyone of them as they come up. Instead I'll benefit from the experience and helpfulness of others and try to contribute what I can. In closing, the factors contributing to my choice of sleds in order of importance ... excellent dealer, TotallyYamaha, the sled and finally, Yamaha.

Yamaha, pull up your socks.

I truly don't understand you guys.
When Cats had a Suzuki motor, they were still Cats, Kawasaki motor - still Cat, Spirit motors - Cats

Now with a Yamaha motor you lie to yourselves and say Yamaha makes a great sled.
Yamaha makes a great motor and a clutch that blows up after too many miles NOTHING ELSE.

Your great handling, ride, ergonomics ALL Cat
Bash Cat all you want, but you all are riding an ARCTIC CAT whether you admit it or not.

I’m still on a 2011 apex and love every km that goes by while trail riding.

Most of my riding is in Northern Ontario and Northern Quebec and I have no issues riding big mile days ;)!..

Looking forward to March 16-25th as I’ll be enjoying my tank in Northern Quebec..

Been looking at a leftover 18 rtx sidewinder but now liking the blacked out srx..

Yamaha Sells like 5000 sleds a year at best. Not sure what people expected. I love my sidewinder, greatest sled ever made. I prob wont buy another new one however. They dont make a 129 anymore which is what I like to ride, and the big one is it angers me to get jerked around on warranty work. I would rather buy a used sled, save 8-10k over new and not have to argue with head office about #*$&@ that should be covered no questions asked.

When Cats had a Suzuki motor, they were still Cats, Kawasaki motor - still Cat, Spirit motors - Cats

Now with a Yamaha motor you lie to yourselves and say Yamaha makes a great sled.
Yamaha makes a great motor and a clutch that blows up after too many miles NOTHING ELSE.

Bash Cat all you want, but you all are riding an ARCTIC CAT whether you admit it or not.

I ride a cat, yep I agree but its not black and green and have a cat logo. Thanks for setting me straight..LOL

2F2510FF-5B96-46C9-A5EF-8E71DC7484D6.jpeg

That right the rest is half engineered cat chassis, my last sled 08 apex still steers better & the single shock suspension is still on par with my sidewinder. My apex sat for 4-5 year while my kid played hockey other than changing wheel bearing on suspension, I had no thoughts of problems taking it on a 1000 mile trip without looking at the rest . The cat chassis is a week to week check for problems. Put rider forward on a apex motor, the sidewinder would be gone .

Last edited:
My current Yamaha sled is not bad at all, in fact it is pretty damn good. I have a 2014 Venture MP that I bought in 2015. It has 14k kms on it and it has been almost completely trouble free and I have only one real complaint. This model got Tuners in 2014 and they are not appropriate for a utility sled and I didn't catch that when I bought. Largely because Yamaha's website incorrectly said VK style skis over a year after the MP came out with Tuners.

I want to stand up for Yamaha and all the other manufacturers. No sled is ever going to be perfect and no sled is ever going to perfectly fit both my application and expectations. That said, in this time of the Cat agreement Yamaha needs to maintain a strong identity. They can't do that with Yamacat models. Nor with Cats with Yamaha decals. Their reputation for engineering and reliability has slipped. So what to do?

I have one suggestion and that is to excell at service and customer/dealer relations. Be ready to make things right when they go wrong. Own it. That would mean having parts available for warranty work. When a guys engine dies in a brand new sled and you don't have an engine to give him offer him a new sled. The Yamaha brand is based on loyalty, part of the reason for their small market share because people are less likely to be loyal these days. Snowmobiles are small potatoes for Yamaha but I own a snowblower, generator, quad, motorcycles, two outboards, and a sled. It is good business for Yamaha to look for ways to heal the rift in the family.

I expect to be ordering a 2020 VK Pro soon and I look forward to it. I'm really excited. It is likely to have all of the shortcomings well documented on this website and I doubt if I'll be posting to bitch about everyone of them as they come up. Instead I'll benefit from the experience and helpfulness of others and try to contribute what I can. In closing, the factors contributing to my choice of sleds in order of importance ... excellent dealer, TotallyYamaha, the sled and finally, Yamaha.

I agree with what you are saying, and hope you enjoy your new VK540 they are a great sled, this new 600Transporter will also fill a segment for the guy's up north and the back woods cabin owners and ice fisher's hopefully this works out for Yamaha, I agree with the availability of parts, there is no need for waiting a month to get your sled fixed because a part is on back order, there is no part now a day's that cant be dropped shipped over night, so this part of the sled network needs to be addressed, ALL sleds have issues and sleds are not cheap so as a customer dealers should have quick access to parts or a loaner sled available, our winters are getting shorter in some area's and waiting for a part for two weeks can ruin your winter riding plans.

My Viper and SW both treated me great. I've had 0 break downs. Tri-hub would have left me stranded soon on the Viper when I swapped for a 4 wheel, got lucky I upgraded when I did. Fit and finish on the SW is much improved over my Viper was. I'm still on Yamaha rollers in clutches, have new TPs on the bench patiently waiting but no signs of wear yet. No blown belts, maybe I just got lucky......I usually don't. There's a couple holes in the lineup that need to be filled but other than that I'm satisfied with it.

OK, here is one crazy man's opinion on this.
All sleds have issues, including the Japan Yamaha's.
What does bother me is not the engineering mistakes, but the refusal to improve on them.

Apex was improved on every year: Examples

1. Chain case issues. Yamaha made a new cover & vented dipstick
2. Hard steering. Power steering
3. Driveshafts snapping. Thicker shaft
4. Rear axle issues. Thicker bar
5. Hyfax wear. Duponts
6. Power complaints. EXUP
7. W-arm breakage. Beefed up arms
8. Front A-arms wearing. Grease fittings
etc., etc...

At least they tried!

I love to just friggin' ride!
I almost traded in for a 600R Etec.
I would have been happy being the underdog.

BUT, you boys are stuck with me cuz i'm keeping the Winder.
I will completely rebuild my chain case with improvements & tunnel hose protector & I will be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Unless it breaks then i definitely WILL complain. I can't afford a Psychiatrist so TY is my "venting" forum. Plus, i need to keep Tom on his toes!

The 9" or 11" VK 540 skins should fit. They are a big improvement IMO.

Back