• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I've got a problem.... I need some advice...

Well I hit a little bush today on the way down from the mountain. The steering seems a little loose and the only damage I can find is in the pics. I was hoping to get it welded for temporary use (I will probably only ride 2-3 more times this season, all this week), and then get the part from Yamaha eventually. The dealer wants $196 for it because it supposedly comes with all the bushings etc. Is welding okay temporarily? It seems like it would be really strong. I rode about 3 miles down the trail with it cracked like this, with no problems except it felt a little loose when turning left. I dont think the spindle inside is damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_8868.JPG
    IMG_8868.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8869.JPG
    IMG_8869.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8870.JPG
    IMG_8870.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 64

Glad you were able to ride back ok.
What have you got to loose by trying to weld it, don't see why it wouldn't work. Just don't burn too deep. Take good care of those lower A-arm bushings, they are backordered at Yamaha USA. Just got some from the classifieds here made by/for Pioneer performance. They are made from a harder material than OEM bushings. This is a good chance to check how bent everything is up front. Your A-arm bolts probably need replacing (mine sure do). This place in Seattle gives about 20 percent off OEM Yamaha parts. $157.28 for that + shipping, maybe not worth it but for a large order...Had good luck with them so far;

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/ ... fault.aspx

Go to the OEM parts link on the left side of the page.

Mark

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. I will inspect further, but wanted to temporarily fix it. I really only ride in DEEP snow, but just happened to go off trail near the loading area and this happened. So those Pioneer ones, would they totally replace that whole assembly?

Did same to my rx1 mtn 2 weeks ago ,did not break completely off but bent it pretty good.I had to replace all the bolts and bushings plus straighten A-arms,saddle ,spindle housing and get housing WELDED ,put 200 km on everything is good.Will replace over the summer with new housing .Shaft was not damaged at all . ;)!

Seems like the housing is designed to break first before anything else is damaged. Just ask Warden...his broke right off and his a-arms didn't bend at all. If the spindle housing was a lot stronger, there would have been serious front end damage. Reminds me of how F1 cars are engineered.

RX1MPete said:
Seems like the housing is designed to break first before anything else is damaged. Just ask Warden...his broke right off and his a-arms didn't bend at all. If the spindle housing was a lot stronger, there would have been serious front end damage. Reminds me of how F1 cars are engineered.
May be yamaha eng. thought about if this sort of thing did happen the weak link would be out there rather than the bulkhead.If that is the case ;)! to the ENG. at YAMAHA . :yam:

"So those Pioneer ones, would they totally replace that whole assembly? "

Wanted to mention Pioneer only makes/sells the bushings themselves, not the metal parts. It appears from the schematic the bushings would all be included if you buy the whole assembly. A good thing as some of those bushings are not available indidvidually at the moment from Yamaha....

http://www.pioneerperformance.net/
Look under front suspension for bushing kits if needed. If you end up needing oem a-arm bolts as well, probably better to go with either dealer.

Thanks for all the replies guys. As you will notice by my pictures, nothing is bent. Its just cracked. What could have possibly caused this? I hit a bush, no rock at all, mind you it was a bush with lots of branches. But just looking it over a couple times that seems to be the only damaged part. I think I will weld it on Monday and order the part on Monday also. If I ride this week it will only be light trail riding for no more than 30 miles. Saturday I am going with my brother and pwdrnut, so it will be way more intense powder riding.

Change it now! don't wait to kill yourself at high speeds. Here's a pic of my spindle that totally ripped in half!.

Attachments

• Picture 179.jpg
    Picture 179.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 63
Well the welder said he would do it, but wouldn't recommend it. So I will just wait til Thursday until the part comes in. What is the spindle itself made of?

Back