• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jumping into the 4-stroke world...looking at Phazers

GudeMN

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro RTX SE (144in) -6500 miles
2015 Phazer XTX - 10,000 miles
2009 Vector LTX GT - 17,600 miles,
1999 Vmax 600 SX - 4500 miles,
1999 SRX 700 - 5100 miles,
2001 700SxR - 2200 miles
After looking after five 2-stroke triples for quite awhile, I've decided to switch things up and look at a move to 4-strokes.

I'm looking to outfit my family and have decided to look at Phazers and Nytros. I have 2 kids who are 11 and 13 yrs old and have 3-4 years experience on a couple '01 700 Sxr sleds. They don't ride that fast but do enjoy riding the trails and playing on the lake with me. As much fun as they have, I can tell wrestling those 700s and dealing with bumps takes a toll on them.

Phazers seem to be a great next step and I believe I will have a good time on a Phazer as well....especially an XTX in the ditches and any deep snow I can find. We live in MN and ride 80+% trails but have a lake with islands which get big drifts, and some ungroomed logging roads and ditches to goof around. From what I've read the XTX sounds like a more stable turning sled on the trails and the longer skid helping to tame the moguls, with some capability in deep snow. Is that pretty accurate?

I've been reading and researching the 4-stroke forum for a year or so now to try and get an idea of what needs to be done to these sleds to tweak them and what to expect performance wise.

I've located some sleds that don't provide much info regarding mods/upgrades.

2012 XTX - 165 miles (???) $4500. Medium windshield, coil over shocks. Handlebar hooks and a grab handle
2014 XTX- 3500 miles - $3800. This one appears to be at a dealership with s 2017 trail pass on it.
2013 RTX(?) 600 miles - $3800. Fox shocks in front.
2013 GT - 2300 miles -$4500. Clickers/coil over, tunnel bag, tall windshield, Ripsaw track

When I call on these, what should I be asking? In my mind, I think the XTX variant is what I want. What don't I know about the GT or the RTX? Is extending those shorter skids viable?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Get the XTX, It comes with the MTX skid and awesome 1.5" freeride track. The factory shocks are pretty soft on that model and is well suited to lighter riders and floats over small to medium bumps but will bottom out on big bumps. the GT's ride pretty good too and the RTX are STIFF. My MTX is basically setup identical to an XTX and its the perfect "Northern Minnesota" sled. Expect about 100-110 mile fuel range on trails (17-20mpg) and 60-70 miles playing in powder.

Now with 3500 mile on the one, I'd probably expect the A-arm bushings to need a change and possibly the center steering bushings, these sleds have a bunch of steering components and the handle bars WILL have some slop no matter what you do.

Good info! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I ride a little south of you around Big Sandy Lake, near McGregor. Lots of miles to cover up that way!!

After your input I think I'll focus on finding XTXs . Is the main difference between and MTX and XTX ski stance/width?

Thanks again!!

as well as gearing and track lug on some years. early mtx had 2" lug.

Welcome to TY 4-stroke and greetings from North Central Minnesota.

Your situation is nearly identical to mine back in 2006 when the original Phazer FX was announced. I was running an SRX 700 at the time. I ordered the first year and loved it even though it was almost half the power. Having suspension was a great shift. And you are totally right, at it being a great ditch banging sled.

The XTX is a nearly perfect setup. my FX had a 1.5" Freeride added to it, and even in only 121" form, it transformed that sled and it would eat up off trail snow. So if you find a steal on a 121", see if you can still buy the 121" Freeride track to swap out.

I later moved to an Apex GT, and the Phazer at 3000 miles moved to my daughter, who was 12 or so at the time. She was coming from a SXR 500. So from trailing arm to 4-stroke phazer. Obviously, she loved E-start and reverse. It was a cooler ride, but she had great clothes. She loved the sled and had no issues riding it, maneuvering and throwing her weight around. It's a non issue and anyone that says it's too tippy has never put any real miles on it.

The toughest thing is to move from the phazer to a traditional sled and back in one day. They will just feel odd. We ended up selling that phazer with around 4800 miles on it. The engine was never touched. And most of the issues with 2007 first year were handled under warranty by the dealer. What a solid sled. The newer models should be rock solid.

When we did sell the sled, my daughter moved to the viper. She loved the warmer ride, more stable and the power up past 80mph. But that is not a goal for younger riders of course. I think you are on the right track. And getting a few years older, helps as they have depreciated the hardest already.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Had three different phazers now. If they made a little more power I don’t think I’d ride anything else in mn. My daughter has been riding one for 6-7 years now and other than the ground block issue we’ve had no issues with it. Hers is a mountain version and works great here. Also had a mountain with a turbo that my wife rode for a few years and had a 121 that was stretched to a 136 that I messed around on last year while fighting electrical issues on my apex. Sounds like they will work out well for what you are looking for.

Welcome to TY 4-stroke and greetings from North Central Minnesota.

Your situation is nearly identical to mine back in 2006 when the original Phazer FX was announced. I was running an SRX 700 at the time. I ordered the first year and loved it even though it was almost half the power. Having suspension was a great shift. And you are totally right, at it being a great ditch banging sled.

The XTX is a nearly perfect setup. my FX had a 1.5" Freeride added to it, and even in only 121" form, it transformed that sled and it would eat up off trail snow. So if you find a steal on a 121", see if you can still buy the 121" Freeride track to swap out.

I later moved to an Apex GT, and the Phazer at 3000 miles moved to my daughter, who was 12 or so at the time. She was coming from a SXR 500. So from trailing arm to 4-stroke phazer. Obviously, she loved E-start and reverse. It was a cooler ride, but she had great clothes. She loved the sled and had no issues riding it, maneuvering and throwing her weight around. It's a non issue and anyone that says it's too tippy has never put any real miles on it.

The toughest thing is to move from the phazer to a traditional sled and back in one day. They will just feel odd. We ended up selling that phazer with around 4800 miles on it. The engine was never touched. And most of the issues with 2007 first year were handled under warranty by the dealer. What a solid sled. The newer models should be rock solid.

When we did sell the sled, my daughter moved to the viper. She loved the warmer ride, more stable and the power up past 80mph. But that is not a goal for younger riders of course. I think you are on the right track. And getting a few years older, helps as they have depreciated the hardest already.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I've got lots to think about with this next purchase as I was planning getting a Phazer and a Nytro in the XTX package. Does the 144 on the Phazer XTX move pretty good through the turns or do you lose a lot of the ability to break the track loose with throttle to position the nose for the exit out of the corner? I've never ridden anything but '99 Vmax 600, SRX 700, or 2001 SxR 700s...all with 121 tracks.

the phazer xtx has tipped rails so it corners more like a 136" track. with the 1-1/2" track, it does brake loose in the right conditions for experianced riders.

the phazer xtx has tipped rails so it corners more like a 136" track. with the 1-1/2" track, it does brake loose in the right conditions for experianced riders.

I keep forgetting that. Same for Nytro XTX correct? More and more Phazer and Nytro options are popping up for sale. I'm going to start visiting them to look them over. Anything in particular I should look for as red flags?

There is a 2015 Phazer with some upgrades like scratchers, low snow wheel kit, reserve fuel tank on tunnel, larger windshield with dash bag, a deep snow float plate, Ulmer clutch products, and other items installed. It has roughly 8k miles on it but fluids were changed annually. It appears to be in good shape. I'm really considering making an offer on it.

on the nitros and phazers, look at the ball joints/spindles. there are other things that i have found that need tear down to find but the ball joints and exh dounuts are the 2 easy to find ones.

I keep forgetting that. Same for Nytro XTX correct? More and more Phazer and Nytro options are popping up for sale. I'm going to start visiting them to look them over. Anything in particular I should look for as red flags?

There is a 2015 Phazer with some upgrades like scratchers, low snow wheel kit, reserve fuel tank on tunnel, larger windshield with dash bag, a deep snow float plate, Ulmer clutch products, and other items installed. It has roughly 8k miles on it but fluids were changed annually. It appears to be in good shape. I'm really considering making an offer on it.

That one looks like a pretty good deal. With 8000 miles it almost had to have all the wear parts replaced. Mine is sitting at 8000 miles and I just installed new ball joints and tierod ends (original parts), they didn't have any life left.

That one looks like a pretty good deal. With 8000 miles it almost had to have all the wear parts replaced. Mine is sitting at 8000 miles and I just installed new ball joints and tierod ends (original parts), they didn't have any life left.

I’m taking a look at it next week if my schedule holds. What’s a reasonable price for a 2015 with that mileage?

Back