• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just bought 04 RX-1

edgerider

Veteran
Hey guys, new to the forum and I like what I've read so far. I just bought a 04 RX-1 for $4400. 2900 mikes, secondary clutch kit, luggage, studs, cover, handguards. Do you have any suggestions what I should look out for or add. Thanks guys.

I also have a question on the clutch kit. I have never had one in a sled before. The guy put an MCB secodary clutch kit in last year and then never had a chance to ride again. What if anything needs to be done on or after the first ride? Is there a break-in period?

is it just a helix change?

if it is it will be a little slower untill the helix seats into the buttons (bout 50km). wont be able to tell you anything else untill you have ridden the sled some. i gotta break mine in before i can clutch it and then i will be looking in here for a setup for my style of riding. :yam:

just recheck the bolts after your 1st ride and it should be ok other than fine tuning for backshift/upshift. really nothing you can do till you ride it some.

How do you fine tune the shifting you're speaking of? Are these things I can do in the garage over the summer when it's up on a stand or do I need to be riding it to feel it?

edgerider said:
How do you fine tune the shifting you're speaking of? Are these things I can do in the garage over the summer when it's up on a stand or do I need to be riding it to feel it?

You will definately have to ride it and feel it out. Once you see how it is shifting on the trail then you can do your fine tuning. If you dont like the way it back shifts or something you can adjust it. Im sure its nothing you would be able to do without a couple hours on a trail...

nope. as stated above backshift needs to be set according to your preference. so you cant set it on the stand during the summer. we did my sxr500 last fall and went with the reccomended settings from the tec pages for the secondary. in my case it was the right one from the 1st setting but we went out on the lake and checked different settings to confirm that it was the right one for me. still needs some weight in the primary but that is a job for next season or the next owner of the sled as it is for sale.

edgerider said:
Hey guys, new to the forum and I like what I've read so far. I just bought a 04 RX-1 for $4400. 2900 mikes, secondary clutch kit, luggage, studs, cover, handguards. Do you have any suggestions what I should look out for or add. Thanks guys.

edgerider - Welcome to the site. ;)!

Before you start next season make sure you have it serviced, spesially make sure u have the engine oil changed. If you are not familiar with your new sled, let a Yamaha dealer do it for you.

Handeling can be improved on this sled. In the front end you should add a thicker sway/stabilizer bar and sway bar links. A set of straight rate shock springs would also improve on handling, 2.3 kgs springs have been used by many with good results. I have 1.9 kgs straight rate springs in mine, they are a little too soft.

In the rear you can change the shocks for a pair of rebuildable gas shocks as Works, Ohlins, Elka, Engans. I have a pair of Engans in my '03 RX-1 and they made a huge difference over the stock shock, and they are rebuildable and can be revalved if you want to.

Track. I am not sure what track you have installed, but a Camoplast 9818 or 9833 works great and they will almost last forever. This track performs better in soft and deep snow than the RipSaw used on later models.

Hope this can help you out as a start. Please ask questions, there are many people on this site who have a lot of experience modding the RX-1. With some tweaking this sled rides really well.

Good luck with your new sled :4STroke:

Keep in mind that the oil resevor should be drained every year and keep that thing full! They use almost as much oil as a 2 stroke.

I thought 4-strokes use only about 1 quart every 1000 miles. 2-strokes use a ton more than that. Where did you hear that?

You are one of a few, Mine uses about a guart to 400 miles as well as the entire group I ride with, YAMAHA states that a quart in 1000 miles is normal with the Apex, But a quart in 400 is excessive in my book even for an 03 RX, On the other hand I didnt have any compition on the lakes this year either. These motors spin pretty fast and have alot more moving parts than the 2smokes do so a little matter of oil consumption can be overlooked for awhile I suppose.

:die =================== :bling =============== :nos

IMO even the '03 uses very little oil. My turbo '03 used 1/2 quarter in 1100 miles. I know that some have used excessive amounts. My friends '03 did, but he broke it in running full throttle right from new, that did not make the rings seal very vell. At 4500 miles the rings got replaced.

If a sled uses lots of oil the rings should be replaced with '05 rings and the cylinders and pistons measured. Cylinders could turn oval, not likely but it is a possibility.

PS! I have only refilled 1.5 quarters in 7000 miles on my RXs. That is a lot less than my SXR700 took on a tankstop after a days ride.

Back