• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

key switch problem

kuku

I was up in the U.P. last weekend and went to start the sled and turned the key and there was nothing - it was like the kill switch was down, but that wasnt the problem. I pulled the kill switch up and down a few times and kept turning the key back and forth and all of a sudden it turned over like nothing was wrong, I had no problems the rest of the day. Is there a relay that would cause this or bad switch????

sounds like you need to pull the key switch apart. mine did that last season and what we found was a small plastic peice had broken off and was blocking the start circuit in the switch intermittantly.

My starter relay went bad that could be going in yours...if it happens agian i have a link grizzlytracks gave me to test the relay

Thanks guys, I will try popping the key switch apart and see what that looks like and let ya know.

I bet a starter. did you notice nothing happening every once a while. When my starter went it wouldnt start intermittenly until it didnt start at all. Get jumper wire and test the starter, look up on how to check the starter. Thats the easiest thing to do until you go ripping the handle bar apart. From that check the kill switch then check the battery and all connections.

my sled just did this today.. went out to start the sled after it sat in an enclosed trailer for a few days. turned the key, and nothing. tried to jump the sled (assumed the battery was dead) and still nothing.

not to jack the thread at all, but it seems mine is having a similar issue? any suggestions?

Check the ignition switch connector that goes into the harness. Fixed a Nytro last year on the trail with the same problem everything was dead until we wiggled the connector from the ignition switch to the harness of the sled. I could see that the connector had slight burn spots from arcing due to a poor connection on one of the terminals.
Try unplugging that connector and see if you can see any traces of arcing on the terminals inside. You will see black on the silver terminals and brownish marks on the white of the connector. If so use a small flat blade screwdriver on the female terminals and compress them a bit more to aid in a better connection. If really bad burning or arcing you should take the terminals out of the connector and clean them so they are shiny new again. Apply dielectric grease inside each side of the connectors and then plug it in again.

Back