• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leak on new Viper - Final Update

DC5 said:
The small coolant line directly under the header will leak if the clamp is not very tight, the rubber hose is a loose fit on the barb. You need to remove gas tank and heat shield to get to it.

I saw this one on a 7000. Should be same on ours. Thought it was weld on heatexchanger but was just that hose. Simple fix but time consuming.

Well I found my leak from a pressure test. Did a quick ride in the morning and found a drop on the bottom radiator hose (clamp). When pressure testing it, it leaked a couple drops. Solution was to tighten up these clamps. Both going into the radiator.

Where is this other connection below the headers. I looked at everything going to and from the cooler and its on the front below the engine.

Subaru2006

We just had one in the shop and it is coming from the lower rad hose.
Just simply tighten the hose clamp and it goes away.
No big deal easy to get at with hood off.

Pre-delivery inspections are designed to catch things like this that is not caught at the factory. Dealers need to spend some more time on these....

I completely agree, pdi was absolute garbage on mine, just got in from the shed.... Found at least 15 different fasteners loose including 4 hose clamps, mine had also developed the leaky rad hose symptom with the colder weather... Not to impressed at the moment with the dealer as they should have caught that IMO

Well, here is an update:

Ran the sled for about 10 miles yesterday. It now has a total of 50 miles on it. Pulled into the garage and let it idle for about 2 minutes while I moved the car back so I could park it in front of the car.

I noticed that while it sat there the temp went up a bit so the coolant temp bar took up about 80% of the indicator.

I pulled it into it's spot in the garage and shut it off. The fan was running but only ran for about 5 seconds after I shut it off.

Fast forward to this morning, there was a puddle about the size of a dinner plate under the front of the sled. Looks like it is going to go in tonight for its first warranty visit.

I'm a little disappointed in the whole thing to be honest. 11,500 bucks and i'm back for help from the dealer.

I know that some of you have torn the plastics off and found the radiator hose needed to be tightened up. This might be the issue but I'm going to let the dealer deal with it so it is logged.

I know you are taking it back to the dealer but they may have to take the paint off the area that the hose goes on to make it seal better

I dont see how a dealer would catch this unless they ran the sleds. Then everyone would be bitchin cause there was miles or hours on there sleds. Not the dealers fault. It is AC's fault for not taking the time to do it right.

I am sure the dealer will have no problem addressing this if you give them a chance.

I agree with you on bringing it back. I've tighten mine up and the leak in those spots stopped. Took it for a spin 2 miles and found it to start leaking by the thermastat. Pulled everything apart to tighten that up and will see if it leaks this weekend if we get snow.

Not sure how this is happening to us and no one else. All I can say is other people better check theirs before they have any major problems.

First year sled or not this is completely unacceptable and I'm not to impressed.

Mine will go back if another leak is found also.

Subaru2006

I guess I should also add to this that I don't have major leaks. Basically small drops near the tube ends. For the most part the coolant doesn't even make it off the sled or onto the belly pan. I would say with all the leaks I found maybe 10-20cc lost in 3-4 miles.
Still not acceptable in my eyes.
Subaru1006

I do not want to rain on your parade or be rude but this is my experience. I found both hoses to the radiator loose and leaking small drops. I tightened them both and pressure tested the system to cap pressure and found no other leaks and it held for the 10 seconds the book calls for. Took it for a ride and found another leak at the thermastat(hose that goes towards clutch). Same small drop type leak. This has been reported here and on other sites. Hopefully both of are problems are fixed. I have almost tightened every clamp on this machine. Only coolant hose I haven't is the one below the exhaust.

Subaru2006

That my friend is the very reason I took it in and got the problem logged. There needs to be a paper trail of the issue so if something happens I can say I was pro active in getting it addressed.

I won't quit watching it. Things like seem to stay planted in my brain and I don't forget.

Back