• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk studs

Most likely gonna put an Ice Attack XT on mine. Worked well enough on my viper. Not a drag racer by no means, just want that little extra bite to help with stopping and getting up the ice hard hills. Stopping using studs when i burned down my Mach Z due to a thrown stud. (Track was mint, just torqued studs before it happened) Must have hit something pretty hard.

I have a xf 9000 which is a 137 and I did 1.45 woodys down the middle with double backers. 192 total. This setup hooks up great. 3500 miles with no issues.

Studs on the outside KILL handling of the sled period! to many studs slow you down on top speed rotating mass. Unless you are drag racing everyday 144 down the middle for stopping and ice roads will do the trick. Studs on snow covered trails don't do a dam thing anyway!

disagree....and as said....my 270 HP sled now HOOKS AND HANDLES awesome.... 1.63 ins stingers

Attachments

• 20151120_203859_resized.jpg
    20151120_203859_resized.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 20151120_203908_resized_1.jpg
    20151120_203908_resized_1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,075
Gotta go at least 1.45 length studs. 1.325 is useless. 1.575 is ideal on a 1.25 track for traction. Please make sure you buy good studs, brand name and not the cheapest ones you can find. Use aluminum backers and tall nuts. Our whole crew has been running this length stud for many seasons now, no pull outs, broken studs bent studs ruined tracks or anything. Just traction.

With a sled that has this much power, youre looking at a new track every 5-7000 kms anyways, especially if you do alot of high speed running.

Big_ Phil how come Woodys tells you not to run bigger on a 1.25 track? Is there reason tunnel clearance or to much more stress on the track. I would love to run a bigger stud on the 137 Sidewinder. Does running the longer stud also cause more push in the corners?

On mine I used this pattern with woody gold diggers 1.45, tall nuts, and dual backers. This worked great on a 220hp, 248hp, and 270+hp sled. Not to mention a 180hp two stroke also. Still let's you kick it in the corners, but bites great on take off. My .02

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-02-17-53-56.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-02-17-53-56.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,165
Yeah for sure for trail ridin was thinking woodys 1.45 up the center maybe longer
That is the studs I am running 192 all on double backers,two plates per bar.

What's everyone's opinion on studding the Ltx 137 with the 1.25 track ?
I am switching out the track for a 1.6 ice attack , and putting 2 1.625 studs per section , for added traction !

Sheetwright that looks like the best pattern for durability, being able to run 192 without singles in the middle or on the outside edge

Big_ Phil how come Woodys tells you not to run bigger on a 1.25 track? Is there reason tunnel clearance or to much more stress on the track. I would love to run a bigger stud on the 137 Sidewinder. Does running the longer stud also cause more push in the corners?

I'm guessing warranty issue with the longer studs? Just be smart about it and don't go spinning your track over curbs and such. If you stud just the middle belt you can still get the rear end to slide around corners. If you stud the outsides it's gonna wanna go straight a little bit. A 1.325 stud is only like 1/8th penetration. It's enough for most people but not for me.

I'm guessing warranty issue with the longer studs? Just be smart about it and don't go spinning your track over curbs and such. If you stud just the middle belt you can still get the rear end to slide around corners. If you stud the outsides it's gonna wanna go straight a little bit. A 1.325 stud is only like 1/8th penetration. It's enough for most people but not for me.
The funny thing is studboy is the opposite. You can run multiple size options. The big thing with a boosted track, is track tension. Don't leave it too loose. You will be amazed with the boost you can actually power slide a corner like an old SRX if you set it up right (even with 4-per row). Spinning the track all the way through the turns, and watch out when it hooks; Cause you then launch right out of the corner fast! Boost is as addictive as drugs, and women FYI. Once you get a taste of 204 HP, you will ask why am I stopping there.

I have a xf 9000 which is a 137 and I did 1.45 woodys down the middle with double backers. 192 total. This setup hooks up great. 3500 miles with no issues.
That is same I will do to this 137 lemon my shortie apex 121's I run 144 all doubles down the middle,never any pull outs or broke studs,this time I will run woody 1.450 w/tall nuts and locktite each one with red locker,on double backers 192 middle only.

Back