• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at a 2006 Attak

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and to four strokes (but not the Yamaha quality) and am looking to pick up a 2006 Attak just as soon as I get my SXR sold. I've been cruising this site for a little while trying to figure out what to expect with this new sled but I thought I'd start up a thread to see if you guys with Attaks had anything specific to add.

I know about the darting issue that seems to be synonymous with newer Yamahas and the occasional hyfax wear problems but are there any other problems I should expect with this model? Thanks for the help guys!

Broken cable on the tunnel mounted suspension adjuster(200% failure rate)
peeling inner bogie wheels
owned 2 attaks; an 06 & 07
stay out of real deep snow also.

Cracking rear suspension pivot arms on mono skid ( check here for beef-up kit http://halfbakedcoatings.com/MONOBEEFUPKIT.aspx)

Front end bushings wear out fast (explore oilite bushing alternatives)

Steeting post support bushings wear out fast (explore oilite bushing alternatives)

Crummy zerk fittings on rear suspension pivot arms

Exhuast donut failure

Radiator mounting tabs crack on the '06's

Need for vent hole on 06's chain case dipstip

Track rubs the rear aft monoshock eyelet on the mono shock sleds

Just keep up on this site and you'll have no issues. Ive allready fixed almost all of the common failures with mine, just from the info and sponsors on this site and HCS

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to keep an eye on these. In your experiences, have any of these problems led to trail-side repairs? Because I'm sticking with Yamaha (instead of Polaris like the rest of my family) due to their rock-solid reliability on the trail.

Forgot; watch for frozen fuel pump relay. This can leave you stranded trailside but if you know how to fix it,s a quickie!

YamahaMainer said:
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to keep an eye on these. In your experiences, have any of these problems led to trail-side repairs? Because I'm sticking with Yamaha (instead of Polaris like the rest of my family) due to their rock-solid reliability on the trail.

none of the things I've mentioned. maybe the pivot arm if it cracked catastrophically.

Snowmobileaddict said:
YamahaMainer said:

none of the things I've mentioned. maybe the pivot arm if it cracked catastrophically.

Thats a relief! One last question for you all...The sled that I'm looking at has 990 miles on it. Do you think I'll be seeing any of the problems you've mentioned in the near future? Or are they high-mileage problems?

You can see worn front end bushings at 900 miles. The front pivot arm can crack at any time.

Donuts maybe not so soon.

Steering post bushings can wear fast too. Grab hold of the bars and try to rock them fore and aft, or side to side. If there is play, they are getting egged out.

Thank you snowmobileaddict and turk! I just made a list with all the stuff that I'll need to keep an eye on and work on as my funds allow. Hopefully this sled will be just as reliable and enjoyable to ride as my SXR after all the tweeking is done.

With only990 miles on the sled you should get lots of problem free trail miles. I would suggest just keeping an eye on your rear W arm for cracks, read all the tips and tricks on this site, and when you have some extra cash, have the beef up kit installed on your rear skid and change your exhaust donuts in the off season so you don't have to worry about it during winter. They should be good for 3000 miles, maybe more. I don't think too many have problems before that..

Back