• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at the closed loop, pros and cons.

Kuzzy

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 yamaha sidewinder xtx se
2022 STX GT
2017 King Cat M9000
Other than 800$ for the system, what are the negatives? High maintenance?

I'm looking at doing this, one of the reasons is that I like to sled where there isn't always reliable fuel. Will it pull power to a safe level? For example if I was running a max16 spool that requires 91 octane or the power trail 275, will it detune it to maybe 250hp so it doesn't wreck the motor?

I'm interested in whatever else anybody has to say about it good or bad. It's a big chunk of change lol.

what the auto tune does is keep your air fuel ratio to pre determined ratio for any given rpm and tps sensor read out... ie: 80% throttle at 7700rpm @ 12.5afr or 100% /9000rpm/11.5 afr, whom ever designed the map, the GAP auto tune will correct the % of fuel for any given scenario to meet the pre set afr. im not sure if GAP sytem adjust timing aswell...

what the auto tune does is keep your air fuel ratio to pre determined ratio for any given rpm and tps sensor read out... ie: 80% throttle at 7700rpm @ 12.5afr or 100% /9000rpm/11.5 afr, whom ever designed the map, the GAP auto tune will correct the % of fuel for any given scenario to meet the pre set afr. im not sure if GAP sytem adjust timing aswell...
It may not, but the ECU already will - Yamaha added in a specific tune for 87 octane for times when you may not have access to 91 octane (lower left text box in the image below).

ECU.JPG

When I looked at purchasing the closed loop system for my Sidewinder (2019 XTX with 5,000 miles at the time) from Hurricane, I was looking at just over $1,000 USD before tax for the closed loop system, oxygen sensor kit, and 225 SM tune (WITHOUT including the SuperSpool or other upgrades - clutching for one). It's a pretty pricey system that didn't really make sense for me - if you can find it for $800 all in, that's a more palatable number. Even in DEEP snow or on the long railroad beds of northern Maine, I've never been in a situation where more power would have been nice (but that's just my $0.02)

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for more power, but fuel efficiency is a game changer as well. I have a 22l auxiliary tank that is plumbed in. At 10%, that is over 30km extra range, which is a pretty big deal. Like the title says, pros and cons is what I'm looking for. If I read the td website correctly, I need the closed loop flash for 350$, and the aem O2 sensor kit is about 450$, add taxes and I'm into it for just over 900$.

Would be really cool if it pulled power with bad fuel, but I don't think it has that capability unless it could pull timing.

I'm a sucker for more power, but fuel efficiency is a game changer as well. I have a 22l auxiliary tank that is plumbed in. At 10%, that is over 30km extra range, which is a pretty big deal. Like the title says, pros and cons is what I'm looking for. If I read the td website correctly, I need the closed loop flash for 350$, and the aem O2 sensor kit is about 450$, add taxes and I'm into it for just over 900$.

Would be really cool if it pulled power with bad fuel, but I don't think it has that capability unless it could pull timing.
If the tune senses knock it pulls timing.

Last edited:
Closed loop does NOT pull timing. The tune itself pulls timing if from Hurricane or TD if knock is detected

My personal experience............I ran 2300 miles tuned without closed loop and then an additional 2500 miles with closed loop. I already had the afr module because I like to data log and monitor air fuel so cost to add closed loop was minimal. I ride in weather from -30 to 40+ degrees. I saw no measurable difference in mpg or power. The sled always ran great in all weather conditions before closed loop and still ran great in all weather conditions after closed loop. I know it was working because I added a bunch of fuel pressure with my adjustable regulator and sled kept same afr numbers, prior to closed loop adding fuel pressure you could see the afr get richer on the datalogs as its supposed to. Maybe certain scenarios or hardware configurations there is a gain to be had. In my case I really didnt notice it was there.Not bashing the technology by any means, like mentioned Im sure it has its place. The only "mod" I did where I clearly noticed a gain in fuel economy while trail cruising was when I switched from td tune to hurricane tune at the end of last winter. I love the tunes and offerings from both these tuners but hurricane was more fuel efficient on my sled. Results may vary

Thanks for the replies! Lots to mull over. All i know is i hope that snow flies quickly or i will end up spending all of my sledding fuel and meal money on snowmobile mods :o|

Thanks for the replies! Lots to mull over. All i know is i hope that snow flies quickly or i will end up spending all of my sledding fuel and meal money on snowmobile mods :o|
Something to think about that I completely forgot:

You'll have to run an O2 sensor in order to use the closed loop system. No stock SideWinder muffler has the bung, which means you'll either need to drill a hole and weld the bung in place OR buy an aftermarket muffler. Based off your reply above, I'm assuming you already have a tune, but you may need to factor in one of the two hurdles mentioned above as well.

Something to think about that I completely forgot:

You'll have to run an O2 sensor in order to use the closed loop system. No stock SideWinder muffler has the bung, which means you'll either need to drill a hole and weld the bung in place OR buy an aftermarket muffler. Based off your reply above, I'm assuming you already have a tune, but you may need to factor in one of the two hurdles mentioned above as well.
The O2 bung isn't a big deal, I know I'll have to deal with it if I go this route. My job has some perks every now and then lol. Tigging is something that I have good handle on haha.

Just don't know off the top of my head where I would get a bung from unless I machined one, which to be honest I just rather not do lol.

The O2 bung isn't a big deal, I know I'll have to deal with it if I go this route. My job has some perks every now and then lol. Tigging is something that I have good handle on haha.

Just don't know off the top of my head where I would get a bung from unless I machined one, which to be honest I just rather not do lol.
I have one if you need one. You actually get one when you purchase the o2 sensor. From TD anyways.

you can get the bung at any muffler shop.

you can get the bung at any muffler shop.
Muffler shops are going the way of the blockbusters..... Not even sure if the one I am thinking of is even open anymore lol

I have one if you need one. You actually get one when you purchase the o2 sensor. From TD anyways.
Thanks, if it comes with the TD kit, and I go with the closed loop, I'll be fine

Back