• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at used winders

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Greetings all, I'm pretty much set on picking up a winder this season and have narrowed it down to a 2017-18 ltx le or a 9000 RR. I was pretty close to picking up one last spring but didn't pull the trigger and wish I would have but oh well. Anyways, I want a winder for a groom trail setup and I have a budget of about 10-12.5grand. Most of the ones I'm looking at are starting to get into the 5K+ mileage range and some have been tuned. Any theories on how long these things will last when running 260 and 270 tunes?

Sh!$s bonkers now with delays and 20 year old sleds selling at ridiculous prices. Is anyone here waiting till the spring to buy any leftovers that finally make it to the dealers? I'm looking at the pile of money and thinking that would make a good down payment on a sled for next year, but with how this year goes it may never show up.

Thanks in advance for listening to the rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would educate myself in "how to maintain a sidewinder"
Then I'd ask questions that I know the answer to varify maintenance....
Otherwise.....well....things can add up real fast.
I'm not sure a 270 tune would have any horribly negative effects, if you follow rule #1 maintenance.
Jmho.....

I am also interested in how the installation of 270-280 horses affects the service life of the engine with proper maintenance.

Now is not a good time to buy a sled. I look every day because it interests me. There are lots of sellers taking advantage of the current market.

I almost spring ordered an XCR 850 in red last spring. I was quoted $14,800 from the local dealer. Yesterday I saw that exact same sled on marketplace with 0 miles. The dealer wanted $17,717 and it was pulled off market place in a matter of a few hours.

Your best deal will be in the spring. Only you can decide if you want to wait that long.

There's a bunch on facebook and some of them are in your price range. It seems that a lot of this stuff has moved from craigslist to facebook. Not really a facebook guy, but my wife has an account and a guy has to do whatever it takes when it's time for a new snowmachine. :)

If we are talking about a 5,000 mile sled, I would say a 270 tune is safe with respect to the motor. Count on changing the top chaincase gear (I change mine annually), and servicing the drive shaft (new shaft plus new bearing, plus a BOP driveshaft saver to be done with that problem going forward). Also a new drive clutch or a rebuild (really not feasible if a Cat). Also, normal stuff like wheel replacements, slides, possible track replacement (more a peace of mind thing - 270 HP is tough on a track with 5,000 miles), and brake pads. Other than these things they are pretty reliable IMO

Now is not a good time to buy a sled. I look every day because it interests me. There are lots of sellers taking advantage of the current market.

I almost spring ordered an XCR 850 in red last spring. I was quoted $14,800 from the local dealer. Yesterday I saw that exact same sled on marketplace with 0 miles. The dealer wanted $17,717 and it was pulled off market place in a matter of a few hours.

Your best deal will be in the spring. Only you can decide if you want to wait that long.
See I'm racking my brain over this the last few months. I know stuff is expensive now but seeing how the cost of everything is going up are we going to to see sidewinders crossing the $20-21k threshold?

See I'm racking my brain over this the last few months. I know stuff is expensive now but seeing how the cost of everything is going up are we going to to see sidewinders crossing the $20-21k threshold?
More than likely.

Greetings all, I'm pretty much set on picking up a winder this season and have narrowed it down to a 2017-18 ltx le or a 9000 RR. I was pretty close to picking up one last spring but didn't pull the trigger and wish I would have but oh well. Anyways, I want a winder for a groom trail setup and I have a budget of about 10-12.5grand. Most of the ones I'm looking at are starting to get into the 5K+ mileage range and some have been tuned. Any theories on how long these things will last when running 260 and 270 tunes?

Sh!$s bonkers now with delays and 20 year old sleds selling at ridiculous prices. Is anyone here waiting till the spring to buy any leftovers that finally make it to the dealers? I'm looking at the pile of money and thinking that would make a good down payment on a sled for next year, but with how this year goes it may never show up.

Thanks in advance for listening to the rambling.
I am also finding it difficult time arriving at an accurate market selling number for my 2018 XF 9000 Crosstour 146” with 7600 miles.see attached .would 13K be a average number seeing that a stock 2023 Yamaha touring is now 20K ?? Thanks for input.Also has B.O.P oil tank gasket,top gear super bushing

Attachments

• CC812021-9F54-4229-9CC5-E60E11D60C16.jpeg
    CC812021-9F54-4229-9CC5-E60E11D60C16.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 4E77A7BB-6339-464C-B992-26064E14262D.jpeg
    4E77A7BB-6339-464C-B992-26064E14262D.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 215A24DE-1882-4731-8895-D20B479F28D2.jpeg
    215A24DE-1882-4731-8895-D20B479F28D2.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 118
  • A9ECD0B8-315B-44ED-BA6D-44CF2BFA7F06.jpeg
    A9ECD0B8-315B-44ED-BA6D-44CF2BFA7F06.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
What the new sleds are vs what the old sleds are worth has little relevance. There are new ski-doos going for over retail (still) but in general the used market is softening up because we are post season for most buyers. Having a quick look in Canada, and just around me, 2017-2018 sidewinders are going from 12-18k canadian, thats 9-14k USD so you are top of the range for a sled here. The vast majority of them (independent of model) are going for 15.5k CAD or 12.3 USD. The two highest priced ones, one at 18k and the other an RTX with 11,000 miles @19k are both trying to recover the 6500-7500 they spent on upgrades.

Here is one of the higher end ones.

1649371800566.png

2018 Yamaha Sidewinder STX-DX 146
Turbo dynamic 270 trail tune
MBRP trail can
Dalton clutch weights and springs
Also comes with Stock exhaust
Removable Saddle bag
Upgraded skis with duel carbides
Comes with stock skis
Heated seat
Fresh oil change
Fresh chain case oil change
Hurricane top gear installed
Thunder clutch adjustment/removal tool installed
Powermadd hand guards
Scratchers
Studded
Brand new battery
No freeze relays
New sliders 1500kms ago
Always stored in warm shop, towed in enclosed trailer
Comes with a cover
6200kms (~3800 miles)
$17,000 OBO (~13.5k USD)

GL with your sale

Always seen a lot of people sell in march for 1k less than they purchased the sled with anywhere between 500-1500 miles.

Surprisingly they have sold the last couple of years

Always seen a lot of people sell in march for 1k less than they purchased the sled with anywhere between 500-1500 miles.

Surprisingly they have sold the last couple of years

Yes,it’s surprising for sure. But all the analysts are still projecting growth in the market so we will have to see how that plays out with little supply available.

I ordered a new SRX and will be looking to sell my 17 ltx le. I know everyone says the aftermarket parts don’t add any value but I feel like we are in a different boat with the sidewinder. All my mods are for upgrades and some cosmetic, not performance. What would you guys pay if you were in the market? I’ve only blown 1 belt, my fault had the thunder orange spring wound way too tight when they first came out.

17 LTX LE 11,000 miles never tuned.
storm track with 144 top gun studs 3000miles on track
Moflo clutch and exhaust vents
Pilot 6.9 skis
Blue front nose cone
18 ltx le windshield
Cyclops led lights with skene dimmer
Heated shield hook up
Tether
Will have new chains, gears, bearings and seals in chaincase
Arctic cat led handguards
Adjustable riser
New stationary sheave on the secondary
New TP secondary rollers
Dalton BO secondary spring
Dalton BG primary?
Black diamond driveshaft
BOP driveshaft saver
BOP hose protector
BOP oil tank gasket
Car RR center shock shaft
BOP upper shaft saver
BOP seat screw
All shocks have shrader valve upgrade
Rear shock has dual speed compression
Had center spring Revalve with more rebound dampening
160 center spring
JT stealth big wheel kit
DuPont slides
Tunnel protectors
Duraflex ice scratchers
New jackshaft bearing this year
Powder keg 124 combo (gas and storage)
Blue snowflap
Only used mobile1 or amsoil synthetic with wix filter
4F38D15C-6349-47B4-BCE6-0FE45D7C56B0.jpeg
C399F9A4-3AD8-43BA-AECE-08185E904AE3.jpeg

I ordered a new SRX and will be looking to sell my 17 ltx le. I know everyone says the aftermarket parts don’t add any value but I feel like we are in a different boat with the sidewinder. All my mods are for upgrades and some cosmetic, not performance. What would you guys pay if you were in the market? I’ve only blown 1 belt, my fault had the thunder orange spring wound way too tight when they first came out.

17 LTX LE 11,000 miles never tuned.
storm track with 144 top gun studs 3000miles on track
Moflo clutch and exhaust vents
Pilot 6.9 skis
Blue front nose cone
18 ltx le windshield
Cyclops led lights with skene dimmer
Heated shield hook up
Tether
Will have new chains, gears, bearings and seals in chaincase
Arctic cat led handguards
Adjustable riser
New stationary sheave on the secondary
New TP secondary rollers
Dalton BO secondary spring
Dalton BG primary?
Black diamond driveshaft
BOP driveshaft saver
BOP hose protector
BOP oil tank gasket
Car RR center shock shaft
BOP upper shaft saver
BOP seat screw
All shocks have shrader valve upgrade
Rear shock has dual speed compression
Had center spring Revalve with more rebound dampening
160 center spring
JT stealth big wheel kit
DuPont slides
Tunnel protectors
Duraflex ice scratchers
New jackshaft bearing this year
Powder keg 124 combo (gas and storage)
Blue snowflap
Only used mobile1 or amsoil synthetic with wix filter
View attachment 167833View attachment 167834

Almost every sled listed in our area has a 230 or 270 tune with jukebox, BOV, dalton or other clutch weights and springs, top gear, driveshaft saver, scratchers, some upgraded carbide (snowtrackers or other) is studded (typically 144), etc. Some have headers, some have bigger intercoolers, etc.. Its actually more rare to find them stock. Typical mileage is surprising to me at less than 5000k is typical. I just did a search with 2017-2022 and 17 sleds were available, all with less than 5k Km (3000 m). Mine when I bought it (21 srx) had 42km, two more sold later that same week, one with 300km and the other with 400ish km. A few over 10k km but not as many as you would think. The prices are as posted above except that '20-'22 models are 19-$23k CAD or $15k-18.2k USD. Those are all within 50 miles of where I live. I would use that info as a guide and try to find local prices as it can be very regional. Sleds in Quebec for instance tend to be cheaper than they are here in Ontario. Same sled, year, similar aftermarket parts will be $1000-$2000 cheaper.

Rtbo With so man non OEM parts , does it still qualify as a Yamaha ?????
You won't get much for it now that so many have seen it with those SKIDOO handguards !!!!!:):):):)

That is one well maintained sled.

Back