• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a non bias comparison...

I own a 2010 ski Doo 1200 renegade, 2013 ski Doo 1200 renegade that's supercharged and a 2014 viper ltx-se

Only got 300 or so miles on viper but my first impressions compared to the ski Doo

Motor.
The Yamaha motor is nice strong and the sound is there it feels snappier and loves to rip around/fun factor is great. We all rode them and rode nytros. We all know why we love the Yamaha engine.

The ski Doo feels like it has more tq. Has strong grunt and is just as reliable as the Yamaha. Good fuel mileage, I like seat of the pants feeling of the ski Doo a touch more grunt down low compared to the Yamaha for corner to corner. But the Yamaha seems to rev a bit faster the the Doo.

Both will last longer then The second or third owner will keep them for.

Suspension
I have the SE viper. It rides like a brick the 2010 ski Doo rides way better and my 13 with r motion is even better then that. Front and back suspension both go to ski Doo.
Is the standard ltx better then the se. I don't know but can only speak of the se.

Chassis/handling
I am 6'3" so for me the Yamaha ergos are much better. I had to put a 8" riser on the Doo to make it fit for me. Seat height is much nicer on Yamaha, foot wells and handlebars go to yamaha.
With owning the SE this thing has to be rode hard as possible to make suspension do anything. Where the Doo rides smooth as silk and will take the big hits as well.

I feel the Yamaha has more fun factor and needs to be ridden where the Doo can just sit back and roll down easy.

Wind protection hands down goes to ski Doo.

After running both sleds this is my end result.

For running local trails and hard riding the Yamaha for me, but if the trail get whooped out or planning on a 300mile day. Ski Doo for me.

That might change once I put full hygear suspension package on and figure out how to make the wind stop hitting me in the crotch on the Yamaha.

Ski doo's only had gear/reverse problems in 2009. Since it's all been fixed
The viper needs better shocks and skis and it's pretty much the best she can be.
Until you add boost!!!!!

You can't go wrong with either sled. If I were to sell them all and lock in on 1 sled to do everything with......the Yamaha viper ltx with a better shock/ski package. I like the Yamaha motor better for my riding style the ergos are better for me and the looks of the ski is up to the times where the Doo is looking dated.

fxnytroxtx said:
YamahaTim said:
fxnytroxtx said:
FPP just released a turbo kit for ace900 with stock mufler 140+hp, and it's faster then 800etec with mods. It's on his Facebook.

Lol...they will turbo anything!

Even your horse lol

900 ace turbo 125HP or coming soon as said on MCX 170HP

Non biased opinion

I have been riding Yamahas now for 11 years. Before that I rode cats for 30 years. I had one Ski-DOO 9500 in the early 80's and I was very disappointed with it. Many of the early Cats were "new releases".

I switched to Yamaha in '03 RX-1 limited edition, on a challenge from a friend who ordered one during the spring power surge. I have since purchased a 2nd RX-1 for my wife, 06 Apex, 06 Vector GT, '11 Vector GT, and last year ordered the '14 Viper LTX A very impressive sled and tons of fun to ride. I haven't found any major issues with any of the Yamaha's to date. The 4 stroke Yamaha ranks IMO, far superior than any other engine on the market today. BAR NONE! There is a sled posted on this site with 75000 miles on it, and I know of others with 20, 30, 40,000 miles on them with nothing more than routine maintenance done to them. You have to sort out the stories you read and make an objective choice on your own .
TALK TO THE DEALER THAT YOU TRUST. He will not steer you wrong his reputation is on the line!

Most of the Yamaha's were " NEW RELEASES." NO ISSUES!

99% of the riding I do is in Canada on highly groomed trails. 1850 miles on the VIPER LTX with NO issues this year. I take very meticulous care of my equipment and I think that helps in the overall picture as far as having any major issues come up.

Hope you make the right decision and order the YAMAHA!

APEX HANK

Who's your dealer Rob? I deal Asselstine's here in my area. I'm actually on the owner's old Apex!

new rob said:
Had your same problem last year viper -1200 ?? Can tell you that the viper is a great trail sled . Handles and rides better then my 11 apex did but is lacking in power on lake. As for resale have a look on kijiji 1200 take a beating in our area. I only had two hot start problems in 2400 km sure fix will be out by fall. Also your dealer is something to consider my yamaha dealer is awesome to deal with. Wish I had some seat time on a 1200 for a real comparison but I am very happy with the viper, so far so good the ac thing does worry me!! And my red sled looks sick !!

I have to defend my 900 ACE from all this bashing (lol).

5,376 miles this season on the 900. Believe this is my 60th sled since 1965. Best sled ever!!!
Easy sled to do 300 mile days. Can't be too much of a 'turd'!

Did I mention the 900 ACE is absolutely the best sled I've ever owned?

mike

The GSX comes with the 600 Etec, the 900 ACE, or the 1200 4tec.

I'm comparing the 1200 GSX and the Viper.
The 1200 is the closest for HP, and the 900 is only 90hp.

I consider myself a seasoned, experienced rider, and I like to ride my sled, not putt putt through the trails.

Is the 900 ace really that close to the Viper?

Mcgregors in bobcaygeon dealing with Paul mark and the gang for at least 10 years , great prices and service . This year told me to drop sled off at his house on a Sunday after my ride ,he took it to shop did update and first service and sled was ready when I got home from vacation .

Is the 900 ace really that close to the Viper?[/quote]

Yes, in the fun factor!!! Coming out of a corner the 900 is explosive during that first half second of throttle input. That is what makes it so fun. Granted, after that half second, it may be a tad slower, but you need to drive one to see what I am referring to. And, you will never see a happier group of owners than the 900 ACE crew.

mike

monte1214 said:
The GSX comes with the 600 Etec, the 900 ACE, or the 1200 4tec.

I'm comparing the 1200 GSX and the Viper.
The 1200 is the closest for HP, and the 900 is only 90hp.

I consider myself a seasoned, experienced rider, and I like to ride my sled, not putt putt through the trails.

Is the 900 ace really that close to the Viper?

Is the 900 ace close to the Viper, NO!!
This not even a comparison!! The 900 might handle good and be on par as far as that goes. But for a fast trail rider or ditch banging or just that power in the powder for the fun of just beating on the sled with your buddies the 900 would be BORING!! Plain and simple! I'm not trying to start an argument, but let's get real here! For a guy with some good skills with jumping hard riding competing with your buddies and just straight fun playing the Viper would make almost any rider happy. The ace would be boring little power, yes maybe for a quick sec or two it might be alright, but after that......boring! You can ride with the 800's no problem with the Viper through the trails or ditches, playing around in a bowl or some drifts! The ace wouldn't stand a chance! That's like saying a Chevy Volt is as fun as a
Camaro ZL1. Beginners or mile pounders or just slow riders would like the 900 ace, but for more advanced riders the 900 ace would be no fun!

The 900 ace ski Doo is what. 80-90 hp. Not even close to viper

And the gsx 1200 is the Cadillac of sleds. Yamaha doesn't have a viper that is close to comparisson.
Heated seat adjustable handlebars adjustable air ride rear shock premium gauge cluster aux radiator.

You would have to look at the venture touring sled to be apples to apples

The 1200 Doo and 1000 viper are the compatible engines.

aja636 said:

And the gsx 1200 is the Cadillac of sleds. Yamaha doesn't have a viper that is close to comparisson.
Heated seat adjustable handlebars adjustable air ride rear shock premium gauge cluster aux radiator.

I agree! The GSX is a Cadillac of sleds. Maybe not a sled that you want to pound on, but a nice ride. The Viper LTX DX vs. 1200 TNT would be a better comparison. Both are fast enough to have fun. Both handle great and both have great motors! Like I said before...you will need to ride both to see what fits you as a rider! I don't feel comfortable on the ski doo at all! Does that make a bad sled hell no, it's just not for me!

You really think so aja? GSX vs Venture?
I know the GSX is a cadiallac, but I think my choice in Viper would compare. No?

Again...I feel I'm more suited for the 1200.

What Doo would you compare with a Viper LTX DX?

aja636 said:

monte1214 said:
You really think so aja? GSX vs Venture?
I know the GSX is a cadiallac, but I think my choice in Viper would compare. No?

Again...I feel I'm more suited for the 1200.

What Doo would you compare with a Viper LTX DX?

aja636 said:

I know you were not asking me, but I think the 1200 TNT would be a fair comparison. The GSX is more for long rides. Not really a ditch banging sled. The GSX has a lot of extras. Really nice sled. For my wife!.....lol... :drink: :moon:

Back