• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a non bias comparison...

It seems that the rtx group is more happy with the vipers, and I believe it because I had some seat time on cat rr 800 with 129" track and it was pretty good sled, so the rtx shouldn't be much different a little heavier but not by much. And I don't know why I got an ltx as I was set on rtx from the beginning, but let me tell you this I will not ride a stock viper ltx se again in conditions that we ride in if someone paid me to. This is my opinion take what you want from it but that's the truth!

Besides hot start stripped torx srews and broken primary spring and tors acting and top speed of 87 it was pretty trouble free 2100 miles sled.

Oh and poor resale value :o|

There is a reason why baskin Robbins makes thirty some different flavors of ice cream. Nobody can say one is better than the other, it's your choice. Asking that question on any forum your gonna stir up trouble. It's tough to compare a 1200 to a viper because one is more of a stand up sled and the other is a cruiser, if anything the doo should be compared to a vector. When somebody else pays for YOUR sled then they can give you their opinion, until then we are just beating on a dead horse.

Over a thousand miles on my RTX, only issues this year was a few cold starts. Reverse worked flawless and I still have not gotten the recall done. Overall very happy with the sled and the way I have it setup. Look forward to riding it next season.

weasel33 said:
There is a reason why baskin Robbins makes thirty some different flavors of ice cream. Nobody can say one is better than the other, it's your choice. Asking that question on any forum your gonna stir up trouble. It's tough to compare a 1200 to a viper because one is more of a stand up sled and the other is a cruiser, if anything the doo should be compared to a vector. When somebody else pays for YOUR sled then they can give you their opinion, until then we are just beating on a dead horse.

Well very nicely said my friend!! :-o ;)! ;)! ;)!

Buy and ride what fits you. F all the opinions. I agree the this Vrs that thread died out and go to who has the biggest mouth.

Test ride em. And aee what you like. I personally like the yami a touch more if I get the shocks right. Until then te ski Doo edges it out.

You have all next winter to test ride them , then pick one that you like , I would never buy something on someone's else's opinion !

The XR is just too cramped for me. I don't know if you can move the handlebars forward like you apparently can on the XS, but something would have to change for me to be happy on a XR chassis sled, maybe the flat 2-up seat?... Even then it would still be ugly. I'm torn between a Pantera and an Expedition myself. It would be easier to talk me into a Viper if a dealer was less than an hour's drive away

09nytro said:
You have all next winter to test ride them , then pick one that you like , I would never buy something on someone's else's opinion !

I am going to spring order something. My top 3 contenders are only available as spring orders and are not available this year or at least locally this year.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate the input!
I definetly won't be buying based on Forum chatter, but it's nice to hear other peoples thoughts/opinions.

In my case, I feel it will come down to which Dealer works the best deal for me.
I really am not too brand loyal...but if I buy Doo...there'll be a sh*t load of my Yamaha gear and clothing on the Buy & Sell! Ha!!

I had the same issues this time last year, but following a major brain stem surgery I could not man handle the apex any longer.

I test drove several, love the polaris the best right away. But the major factor in it all was the engine. I just could not go back to a smoky 2 stroke.

I never test drove the viper, but had test drove an arctic 7000. The torque was there and for once I sat on a sled that soaked up bumps.

I called port, never Sean an xtx in person and had them get it ready for me. I can honestly say it felt unstable at first. It took three maybe four times in the ditch in Iowa before I started understanding it and since then it puts a smile on my face every time I sit on it.

I would do it again.

I seen a race from a doo dealer, the 900 ace vs. 600 e tec, and it wasn't even close. In 660 feet the 900 ace was like 2 seconds slower. So that's a turd in my book. I don't think any guys with a little bit of ability would be happy with the ace! It's for young riders or people that just cruise, slow cruise. It might handle really good, but so will any sled that's going slow! It's just not going to get any rider with average or higher ability! Sure the 900 ace has it's place, bit if considering a Viper for a choice, the ace should not even be brought up!

From what I have herd the Ace was made to corner the rental market.
But for me, it would not work.
Just my 2 cents.

I have rode the 1200 doo. It is a nice sled. The throttle lag made me crazy. It reminded me of the old days were people would set there Rochester 4 barrels up, so you would step on the throttle and wait for the 4s to kick in. They thought it was normal, but it was not. if it was set up right.
It did not keep up to the viper ltx on the tight and twisty trails.
This my be fixed with some suspension set up. I did have to set my viper up
after I first rode it.
as for the storage, If you are in preference to the Linq system like I was it can be mounted to the Viper.
I did this for mine.
I would suggest taking both sleds for a test drive before you buy, to get a better idea, of what you prefer.
Have fun and good Luck!

Last edited:

Back