• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looks like a new display/GPS in the works?

I've been using, and watching, Garmin for a long time.
The way I understand it,
The Premium Kit is the Garmin Tread which includes Radio Communication, Group Tracking, InReach, BlueTooth, etc.
The Basic Kit is the Garmin Zumo.
Zumo is just mapping.
Tread adds communication, group tracking, InReach, BlueTooth, etc.
The Garmin Tread & Zumo have the same specs, size, display, etc.

The Arctic Premium Kit, Tread, which includes the snowmobile mount, is $100.00 less than the Side by Side Tread. Something must be missing?
The Arctic Basic Kit, Zumo, which includes the snowmobile mount, is $150.00 more than the Motorcycle Zumo.

The Arctic Premium Kit, Tread, which includes the snowmobile mount, is $100.00 less than the Side by Side Tread. Something must be missing?

Is that what the "base plate" is that is listed on the AC site? I was trying to figure out if that is the actual mount, as they also sell a "Trail Mount Kit" that seems to be specific to mount it on the snowmobiles. Wish they were more clear :).

Also, it seems the AC site suggests that we cannot order the premium kit in Canada due to restrictions on the group radio, so us Canuks might have to order some other way in any case :).

Suprised this took so long.yamaha has the adventure gps for side by sides but this looks to be better

Suprised this took so long.yamaha has the adventure gps for side by sides but this looks to be better
I was thinking that Yamaha would put the adventure gps that they have for the side by sides and make it interchangable with their sleds. You can put it in your car now and you have the mapping features. Go back and watch some of the video from the side by side's intro on it. You will see the option where they have a spot where you can click an option for a side by side, a car, and yes a sled. They don't talk about it but an icon comes up in the shape of a sled. As long as they have it compatible with the ECU, and have Textrons permission, you would think it would work.

I was thinking that Yamaha would put the adventure gps that they have for the side by sides and make it interchangable with their sleds. You can put it in your car now and you have the mapping features. Go back and watch some of the video from the side by side's intro on it. You will see the option where they have a spot where you can click an option for a side by side, a car, and yes a sled. They don't talk about it but an icon comes up in the shape of a sled. As long as they have it compatible with the ECU, and have Textrons permission, you would think it would work.
I figured the same

I've been using, and watching, Garmin for a long time.
The way I understand it,
The Premium Kit is the Garmin Tread which includes Radio Communication, Group Tracking, InReach, BlueTooth, etc.
The Basic Kit is the Garmin Zumo.
Zumo is just mapping.
Tread adds communication, group tracking, InReach, BlueTooth, etc.
The Garmin Tread & Zumo have the same specs, size, display, etc.

The Arctic Basic Kit, Zumo, which includes the snowmobile mount, is $150.00 more than the Motorcycle Zumo.

According to the Garmin website, the Tread does not have InReach built in, but it is compatible so that you can use blue tooth to connect your existing InReach unit with the Tread unit. This sounds like an awesome advancement, but it is a little pricey, especially if you have to purchase multiple units for the other riders in your family!

This looks pretty cool! My current garmin Oregon 450 works great, but it’s always hard to see where you are or where your going without having to zoom in/out all the time. 5.5” screen might be a nice upgrade! Looks clean!

You have to be low on fuel and lost to get that high when you recognize a trail sign!

I personally, for what it's worth, do not see the need for all of this technology but get why folks do and want it. I'm old school and follow signs but again, I get why more tech folks would want this.
Yamaha and Cat need to get on board with this sort of stuff. Polaris and Ski-Doo are so much more advanced at this point

I personally, for what it's worth, do not see the need for all of this technology but get why folks do and want it. I'm old school and follow signs but again, I get why more tech folks would want this.
Yamaha and Cat need to get on board with this sort of stuff. Polaris and Ski-Doo are so much more advanced at this point

I'll take a portable GPS like this new one any day over the ones that come on each machine. Almost every weekend we plan our trips ahead of time and it's great to map out the rides on your laptop and easily transfer your trips on the device while it's off the sled. We also email our trips to everybody in the group so they can load the trip route's on their GPS's as well. The Polaris and Ski-Doo ones seem too limited for my type of use.

Last edited:
Agree,
A younger rider in our group brings a portable GPS but uses his cell phone most of the time. Us older guys look at a paper map the night before and plan our trip for the next day. Then follow the trail signs for the most part to follow the planned route.
I will admit it is nice to have the GPS/cell phone for back up.

Uumm not sure about that cannondale. Even if you don't plan your entire trip the night before following the trail signs is still very easy in Ontario. We have stop stations all over the place showing a map of the trails with arrows "you are here"
Not disputing that a GPS is useful because they are but as an old school guy I think technology can sometimes take the fun out of figuring out your route and having to put a little effort into it.
To me that is half of the fun, but as mentioned, that's just me. Technology is moving way too fast for this old guy:bash:

Uumm not sure about that cannondale. Even if you don't plan your entire trip the night before following the trail signs is still very easy in Ontario. We have stop stations all over the place showing a map of the trails with arrows "you are here"
Not disputing that a GPS is useful because they are but as an old school guy I think technology can sometimes take the fun out of figuring out your route and having to put a little effort into it.
To me that is half of the fun, but as mentioned, that's just me. Technology is moving way too fast for this old guy:bash:
I just plan a destination. Use it in Offtrail mode so it makes a line as bird flies to destination. Then as I am going I look for trails and cool spots heading in the direction of destination. If one I haven’t been on I take it. Have found many really cool trails this way and lots of neat Waterfalls,Gorges etc. You can really Zoom in and see things maps don’t have.

Everyone makes great points here, I have a Montana 680t mounted on a BOP display post. I find GPS a very useful tool in unfamiliar areas..it's saved me from making mistakes when the gas is starting to be a factor or when the maps along side the trails are old or just don't make much sense ( to me that is). It's nice not to have to stop at every intersection wasting time trying to figure out which way to go to get to a destination..unless of course it's nice to stop and chat for a minute or two with other riders on a corner.
I've used a cell phone in the past but find it unreliable, power issues, cold effects the phone and its really asking too much from a device not built for the rigors of the environment it's now in.
Let's face it, if you know the trails then GPS and maps are not going to help allot.
The beauty of this new Garmin gps devise is knowing where your riding partners are takes the guessing out of the equation, and puts less stress on riders trying to keep up, that's where things can go wrong for sure.
To someones point earlier in this discussion .. having an emergency positioning beacon when things go drastically wrong has the potential to save lives, lots of time saved for rescue, I would think that kind of devise is best attached to the rider and not the sleds fixed gps . Joe

Back