• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

loose nut - lower ball joint drop off

sniperviper

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
This thing happened on two 08 nytros this weekend. One of the sled has only minor damages but from what I have heard, the other one is totalled becase the failure happened at high speed. The last mentioned sled was a brand new leftower with only 200miles on it.

Anyone else seen this happening?

Nope, sounds like maybe dealer prep from when they changed the ball joints, if they did.

The bolt goes through the top and i believe it's a nyloc nut, so it would have taken some doing.

You can't just pull these things out and run them all season without checking them over. I bring mine in and check it over at least once a week or ever couple hundred miles of riding. I lift the front and rear and check for loose bolts, joints, bushings, welds and leaks. I also put a little grease to it as long as I have it up (If possible, always unload pivot points before adding grease). If you feel beat after a long day of riding just think about what your sled went through.

Don't be lazy, Be safe! A quick look over before every ride only takes a few minutes.

grizztracks said:
You can't just pull these things out and run them all season without checking them over. I bring mine in and check it over at least once a week or ever couple hundred miles of riding. I lift the front and rear and check for loose bolts, joints, bushings, welds and leaks. I also put a little grease to it as long as I have it up (If possible, always unload pivot points before adding grease). If you feel beat after a long day of riding just think about what your sled went through.

Don't be lazy, Be safe! A quick look over before every ride only takes a few minutes.

I learned the hard way on this also. My A arm bolt came out riding and the other side was loose. I called my dealer and yamaha said it was owner maintenance. I guess I am used to trucks after being out of the sport for soo long, not used to checking everything every time you go out after spending 8400 on a brand new machine. Live and learn

Back