• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

loosening front spring tension help !

quebec#1

Expert
Id like to loosen my front springs but it seems almost imposible , i have raised the front end and have a hard time with the spring tool because of the little room to turn the springs with the GT outboard shocks.
I see two collars, does the collar at the top of the shock need to be loosen as well ?

The top collar is a locking collar. You have to loosen it off before you can move the other adjuster.

Cant seem to loosen up the top collar . I have two collar tools in my kit maybe im missing one ?
I tried tapping the uper collar with a screwdriver and a hammer and it didnt even budge.
Also it doesnt seem like i have enough room to turn the collar with the tool having the outboard resevoir in the way.

the tool is nearly useless for breaking it loose. I had trouble with mine too, but just got them adjusted yesterday by giving both shock collars a couple shots of WD-40 and let sit overnight. Then broke the collar loose with a screwdriver and hammer. I put some ant-sieze on the collar and spring stop so I don't have to go through that again. With shock covers you can't see it.

Thanks i will try the wd 40 thing !
I figure that once the top collar is loose i should be able to turn the lower one by hand with the front raised.

Be careful w/Clickers to loosen the proper ring...DO NOT touch the very top 1, use a FLAT screwdriver & hammer and un-lock the 2nd ring you see in pic below, you have 3 rings in total, make your adjustments and lock ring again with screwdriver...as mentioned earlier take pressure off your front suspension by jacking the front end up, it makes it a LOT easier.

Attachments

• CIMG0002.JPG
    CIMG0002.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 69
You be a happy camper if you buy the quick adjusters from Pioneer Performance. They even adjust without taking the weight off the front end and you can turn them with your gloves on.

Jon

Just loosen up my springs ! My collar was really jammed but i sprayed some storage oil on them and the came loose.
I tighten up my limiter strap and now see less inside ski lift but my steering is a little harder ! If i loosen my springs will this help a little ?

Make only 1 adjustment at the time and see how it reacts to your riding style, a set-up for 1 is not always the 1 for you...shortening the front limiter 1 hole or so is not enough to affect your steering, unless you've got it at the shortest setting...the front has to lift/transfer quite a bit before your limiter strap actually picks up the slack.

I'd adjust your TRANSFER rod a little less then mid point for LESS transfer and set your limiter strap in centre hole and back preload off your front shocks to near ZERO...as I said earlier start with 1 adjustment at the time and see how she rides.

Back