• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Machine acting up

stocky

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
VK 540II
i have a 1993 vk540II and its been running strange for a while now the other day i started it and it run for about a couple mins then it started to cough and sputter and then it quit and i couldnt get it running again, i checked the plugs and there was no spark so i tryed a different coil and it started and then done the same thing so the coil wasnt the problem but i notice that the spark going to the plugs is kinda hit and miss its not a steady spark like it should be, any ideas on what the problem could be thanks.....

This happened to a friends sled, it was the Pickup sensor on the stator.
You can't buy it separate from the stator from Yamaha, but can get only the sensor as an aftermarket part.

Hope this helps! :sled1:

x2 on the stator. they break down over time and when cold they will work fine, once hot they fail like you are seeing. my uncle had his 1996 vk 540 II go when the sled was 18 years old. luckily there was another vk with him as he learned with his 88 vk, need a vk to pull a vk as scandic 503 could not move it and it was a swt one too.

x2 on the stator. they break down over time and when cold they will work fine, once hot they fail like you are seeing. my uncle had his 1996 vk 540 II go when the sled was 18 years old. luckily there was another vk with him as he learned with his 88 vk, need a vk to pull a vk as scandic 503 could not move it and it was a swt one too.

so where abouts is the stator located and this pickup sensor

so where abouts is the stator located and this pickup sensor
also could you show me a pic of this pick up sensor if possible so i know what to look for and order and where would i order this part im in canada

if you are keeping the sled, go oe (yamaha origonal) as they last longer than the aftermarket ones. some guys have replaced 2 aftermarket ones in their sleds this season. i only use the oe myself as i tend to keep the sleds for awhile.

The pic up coil is part of the stator. It is in behind the flywheel witch is behind the recoil on the vk540’s.

I don't believe those engines have an actual stator but rather a charging coil along with separate lighting coils. The pickup for the ignition is called a pulser and can be purchased separately for around $60-$70.

8R4-85580-M0-00 is the us part # for it and it shows a price of $65.00 before exchange for just pulser coil. the old ones like this sometimes have a wiring problem where it comes out of the case as it breaks the wires there. with the age of the machine, new wires there would not be a bad thing.

whole assembly is 8AT-85560-10-00 and $219.63 before exchange. at 26 years old with an inkling of what they go through on the trap lines, this is the option i would use as it saves chasing charging and lighting wiring later. my uncles one actually did in the charging coil before the pulser coil failed. sled is still running to this day without engine tear down with like 40000 mi on it.

8R4-85580-M0-00 is the us part # for it and it shows a price of $65.00 before exchange for just pulser coil. the old ones like this sometimes have a wiring problem where it comes out of the case as it breaks the wires there. with the age of the machine, new wires there would not be a bad thing.

whole assembly is 8AT-85560-10-00 and $219.63 before exchange. at 26 years old with an inkling of what they go through on the trap lines, this is the option i would use as it saves chasing charging and lighting wiring later. my uncles one actually did in the charging coil before the pulser coil failed. sled is still running to this day without engine tear down with like 40000 mi on it.
I managed to get the machine running and let it idle for about 5 mins then i shut it off it seems to be ok now but still not sure so i pulled the cdi box off and tested it with my multimeter and the red/brown wires were the only ones to give me a reading and the reading was 702, i then checked it about 10mins later and the reading was 720 so im wondering if when the machines running does it lose its power as the machine runs but when it stalls and sits for a while it builds up its power again and lets me be able to start it after it cools down also is there some place where i can find out what the readings should be for the cdi and the stator if i test it.....

the heat that the engine makes while running is expanding the wires and they are making contact through their coating making the resistance needed for it to run correctly fall out of spec. the only way to repair it is to replace that coil or the whole stator.

Back