• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Make an XTX Rail.

Yes I reduced the center preload. I didn't measure just loosened it up 1 1/2 turns. I plan to go for a short ride after work tonight to see how it is now. I may loose some ski pressure with this adjustment. I also need to take some rebound out of the front end.

I've posted this link before, and I'll do it again. Read this tuning manual and apply the concepts to your own sleds. The primary problem with the XTX in MY EXPERIENCE has been the lack of adjustability of the center and rear shocks. The factory valving did not suit me and the solution was to revalve/respring or replace with more suitable shocks. I chose to replace and I'm thrilled at the improvement. Some of you will find the stock shocks adequate. Some will need the valving and/or springs changed to suit you. Read the Ohlins manual and at least learn to set your sled up correctly.

http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/documen ... 30-02A.pdf

xtx handling

It took me about 1,000 miles on my xtx to get comfortable with the handling. I took 5mm of preload off the front shocks and a couple clicks off the compression, everything else is stock.

When I come into a corner I let the engine brake just enough to set my skis (stock with 6" carbides), hang ham off the seat and ease into the throttle. Most of the time my outside boot is completely off the rail.

I do work harder than I would on a XP but I will never give up the 4-Stroke.

How to make an XTX rail? SIMPLE

Ditch the stock skis as I just did. I have never been one to put after market parts on any of my snowmobiles but after hearing that from many people to do it I thought I would try it.

I went from mostly hating how the machine handled in the corners to thinking that it may be one of the best cornering sleds I have ever owned. Normal trail conditions usually always have some loose snow on them or a ton of it so I went with the C&A XTX ski. After speaking with Mark over at C&A Pride Solutions he thought that the XTX ski would be the correct fit and I feel he was dead on. Now, at slow speeds on hard pack it steers heavy but so did the stock skis. For the most part you don't encounter much hard pack unless you are the first one out in the morning after very cold temps so this wasn't much of a concern of mine. I just wanted this thing to rail and not push in the corners when there may be a bunch of loose snow. I have decreased the front ski spring pressure by about a half inch and adjusted the weight transfer shafts about an eighth inch which allows the machine to hook up much better but not out of control being I'm only about 190lbs and the sled seemed to spin the track way to much for my weight. As for all other adjustments I have the rear springs set in the middle and the clicker also in the middle. The front shocks are currently in the middle as well but I may experiment with them hust to see how much of a difference it is.

Most of you are like me thinking that you just spent a ton of money on a sled and you are not going to put skis on it but trust me on this one. It will be worth it!!!

Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis Skis

Adjust in this order-springs-rebound then compression
I have 700 miles on the XTX and was not happy with the tippiness,pushing in corners and harsh ride in stock setting for my 195pd w/o gear riding style. Present settings are stock weight transfer and limiter strap~Scmidt bros modified Woody's slim Jim 6" runners~studded track~trail tank~center shock 1/4"more preload~compression damping on rear shock 10 clicks from full hard~front shocks no preload on springs~top knob [compression] 7 clicks from hard~bottom knob [rebound] 9 from hard.
One click makes a large difference in ride.
Now I love this sled. This my 3rd long track from Yamaha in 4 years starting with 05 Rage that I traded in on the XTX then an 06 Attak that I still have. This XTX floats in the powder breaking trail like a work sled~easy to ride standing like a trail bike~I can motor without spinning the track and chewing up the trails I spent hours grooming.
The other mods have been RSI grip heaters~reversed the hand guards for better wind protection~extra large windsheild {which is a joke}, hopefully someone will come out with a real windsheild.
On the trail tank I threw away the little aluminum ferules and o-rings and it is much easier to put the trim back on
This sled was a joy to do the first service on compared to my Attak and Rage. Great how you have a window to see radiator level.
If your reading this thank-you Yamaha

Forgot to mention in my last post additional mods that this sleds needs. The hyfax saver wheels on front bend and the tunnel closure has reduced the ice build up on the rear.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 61
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 61
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 67
trlbrkr said:
Forgot to mention in my last post additional mods that this sleds needs. The hyfax saver wheels on front bend and the tunnel closure has reduced the ice build up on the rear.
More info on the tunnel closer?? Pics ??

Back