• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

manual start a new Phazer

Topper

Extreme
I just ordered a new Venture MP and this will be my first sled without a pull starter on it. I am wondering if anyone has started them using straps or ropes or whatever? I ride in the boonies and quite often am there by myself so jumper cables wouldn't do me much good. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Topper

You can "strap start" an RX1 as long as the motor is warm, so the Phazer should be no problem. You won't ever need to though, these things are pretty much trouble free in the starting dept.

manual starting

I'd beg to differ, both my FX and GT crank and crank and crank when cold. I'd HATE to try and pull them over. With the firing order , you REALLY need to get that thing spinning to fire. I know everyone is reporting long crank times cold but at 40 degrees they have extended crank times , I am really wondering about how they will be below zero.

Thanks for the info. I don't imagine I will have problems but I sure wouldn't want to be twenty miles back in the bush and then have to experiment. I think I will give it try as soon as I get my sled home just to be on the safe side. Topper

GypsyRoots: I will give you a report in a week or two when I get her home. The two concerns I have are the starting and the weight as the MP is just a touch under six hundred pounds. I don't need it to be a race horse so hopefully the 16x144 ripsaw will keep that weight on top of the deep stuff. Looking forward to finding out! Topper

I myself wondered about this question. So after my sled was warmed up, I shut it off and walked away. A 1/2 hour later. Two long pulls on my strap and it fired up. It was 35 outside when I did this.

I had to jump start my 03 RX-1 from a pickup truck one morning when it was 40 below. Yamaha was then using regular oil and the cold temps would cause the standard oil to become gel like. Yamaha switched to a semi-synthetic oil starting in 2004. Since then, I've never had a problem starting a Yamaha 4-stroke. ;)!

If you're that worried carry a booster pack with you. They're cheap and reliable. Mine sits in my wife's car all the time so the cold doesn't seem to hurt it. Are you out alot over night or are you concerned about shutting it off and it not restarting acouple of hours later?

You guys in the bush, Your carrying a lot of gear out there. Why not add a battery pack like the ones you carry in a truck to start dead batteries. They hold a charge for quite a period and have a lot of cranking amps. And if you like, you could keep it warm under your pillow at night!

I'm not worried about cold temps where I ride but if I was in a lot of sub zero temps at night, I would buy a coolant block heater like I install on diesel engines. Not a practical idea for out in the wilderness but good for your camp/house. Also it's better for the engine anyway.

For a far western Arctic Yamaher, that is very similar to what we face here in Nunavut. We still use ours for attaining our country groceries too...as well as the trips between communities.

I bring a battery as mentioned, which has a lot of cranking power, and if that doesn't work, we keep a small gas generator at the cabin. We also always bring a tent for in case we need to heat the bloody thing at -45 and below...Usually we only need the recharger. I will be putting in a block heater though this winter...It is really late this year...1 month so far.

RX-E

There is a booster pack now available that is tiny
"about the size of a water bottle"
It plugs into your lighter port to start the sled or car. I am sure it is not the strongest booster out there but would probably be sufficient to give you the extra kick you need on one of those cold mornings in the bush. I am pretty sure you can charge it from the lighter port as well. After you get the sled started you can plug the jump pack back in and bring it up to a full charge.
do a search on google for jump packs

I was really concerned with the hard starting with my Mt Lt when it was taking 5 to 6 tries of 12 seconds each of cranking to start...in a garage at 36-40 degrees.

I finally was able to put 120 break in miles on it...the difference was like night an day. You shouldn't have any problems after break in.

However, a back up battery pack would be a good idea. They make some compact units that plug into a 12v accessory plug to jump start a low battery. I put a accessory plug on my sled. The phazers have a place for one on the let side of the gas cap.

Hope you don't ever need it.

Back