• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Maximizing my Sidewinder

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
I've purchased my sidewinder to trail ride only. trail rode Wis Northwoods with a 1" track. On both an 800 & 600 for many yrs.

The 137" sidewinder has a 1.25" lug.
While I too want the occasional burst of top end rush when out on the lake, I don't want to give up too much traction on the trail. In stock form my winder has hit 121/122 speedo indicated in very rough condition.

Most of you guys are changing out the muffler & plugging in a tune. I get it. So here's my question.......

I was wondering if any guys have had good success with going to a 1" track and gearing up to a 22t? It almost seems like most are going to do this at some point to achieve even more top speed.

Is it worth it to switch? And what are we talking about as far as gains?

I've purchased my sidewinder to trail ride only. trail rode Wis Northwoods with a 1" track. On both an 800 & 600 for many yrs.

While I too want the occasional burst of top end rush when out on the lake, I don't want to give up too much traction on the trail. In stock form my winder has hit 121/122 speedo indicated in very rough condition.

Most of you guys are changing out the muffler & plugging in a tune. I get it. So here's my question.......

I was wondering if any guys have had good success with going to a 1" track and gearing up to a 22t? It almost seems like most are going to do this at some point to achieve even more top speed.

IMHO if you are a top speed junkie and turning up the boost...yes...22 top is a nice mod and while you are at it I recommend scotty taylors gears...his top gear has oil holes...and his stuff is rugged...as to the track...again...depends on whats most important....if radar runs are a priority...a 14 wide track with 1" lugs like a hacksaw have netted big top end gains ( with light studding) but for trail riding 1" will yield some less traction of course...hard to trail ride a 1" track after riding a 1.25" track especially if you wick up the power..then some will want 1.50"

Last edited:
I checked my lugs from last winter and they are down an 1/8" already

I cant imagine Trail riding this sled with 1 inch track. The 1.25 is bad enough. I went 1.5 Storm

I had a very similar question answered on another post. Seems like some with tunes, stock clutches and gearing have seen 126 GPS. So you should not be out of gear until, was the answer.

Hope that answers your question!

Yea I would not go with a 1" track if you trail ride.

Just thought I'd ask. I guess a small tune & gear change will suffice. I just know how that goes.......

First we spray the 50 shot. Then we try the 150kit. And so on.......next we find out that we don't like what we have. How many times have I did this? Too tired to count. I'm trying hard not to go down this road. Lol!

Just thought I'd ask. I guess a small tune & gear change will suffice. I just know how that goes.......

First we spray the 50 shot. Then we try the 150kit. And so on.......next we find out that we don't like what we have. How many times have I did this? Too tired to count. I'm trying hard not to go down this road. Lol!

Lol...
Sounds very familiar. Should I just try a small 225 flash or go for mileage with a free flowing muffler?should I gear up?
Or should I just do a milder 245 tune with overdrive clutches? Or maybe the 265 with 22 top gear whereas reports claim good mileage with that one? Oh well, have stayed away from tunes for 1 full season as I promised myself.

Stock is just a little too slow, I need 120 when I want it period.
Too many decisions with this one Huh?

Lol...
Sounds very familiar. Should I just try a small 225 flash or go for mileage with a free flowing muffler?should I gear up?
Or should I just do a milder 245 tune with overdrive clutches? Or maybe the 265 with 22 top gear whereas reports claim good mileage with that one? Oh well, have stayed away from tunes for 1 full season as I promised myself.

Stock is just a little too slow, I need 120 when I want it period.
Too many decisions with this one Huh?

Hahaha.....you hear the voices too?
What's going to give the best return and limit the side effects?
I only want bad fuel economy when I decide! Lol! Don't want to carry three different spare belts. Five sets of arms And I'm not willing to carry octane booster under my jacket. Stuff will spill all over and give me a headache. Plus I gave up smelling like a 2s for a reason.

"By the way" that particular kit blows belts. We haven't figured out why and it's only on 3% on the Sidewinder Population"

Lucky me........

Last edited:
I cant imagine Trail riding this sled with 1 inch track. The 1.25 is bad enough. I went 1.5 Storm

To each their own.
I trail ride a MCX 290 Apex ( 178 track HP) with a 144" x 14" Hacksaw and it is a ball on the trail.
It will do 220kph / 138 mph in a little over 1/4 mile so it is no slouch.
Spins some out of the hole on snow but still radars 103 in 660 on snow at only 11 psi of boost . [260 hp]

Off trail, not so good.

I think TD Ben runs a 1" Hacksaw on his Winder.

Joe I would never go with a 1" track. I rode a 1200 with a 1 " track and compared to my 1.25 it sucked big time. It had poor traction along with poor handling and it reminded me of driving in the rain with bald tires.

Joe I would never go with a 1" track. I rode a 1200 with a 1 " track and compared to my 1.25 it sucked big time. It had poor traction along with poor handling and it reminded me of driving in the rain with bald tires.
Joe
I'm sincerely struggling a little bit with tune/exhaust. IDK.......the 1" track is definitely less noticable down here. When you get a foot of snow. We get an inch. Lol!

Just testing the waters.....

Here is the problem with 1" on 137....

there is horrible transfer already on the 137, Been there tried it all. Now you stick a 1" below it, you are just gonna spin and never hook. 1200 Gade with 1" did same thing i rode, hated it.

Only reason for a 1" is top speed......

I ran a 1x14 hack on my 129 cat, the GPS speeds on lake were insane. And that 129 would still hook hard, as the 129 has good transfer. So 129 for top speed, yes.....but if your not radar running all the time, I would not bother on the 129. And would NEVER do it on a 137 unless all you do is run radars and ice drags ect....In snow it will be so nose heavy as it will never get up and go, traction will be non existent.

Yea it was always a pain in the #*$&@ changing tracks on my old race sled. Had ice chisels on one track, trail studs on the other.
Someone needs to come up with a Quick change track system! I know I invented some new swear words changing those fucers out ever other weekend.

I think if you run low 120s on rough trails in stock trim you are fairing quite well. Any changes you mention will be step backwards IMO. If want to spend money to go faster, biggest bang for buck is tune IMO.

Back