• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mice chewed up wiring on my new XTX

snowriderjoe

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper L-TX
Well, I know just about every inch of my BRAND NEW '09 XTX (0 miles). When I took it out of storage this fall I noticed that mice had gotten into it and chewed up the hood foam and built nests. When I took it out of my trailer it would not start easily or run very well. Little did I know that they also chewed up some wiring. The wiring to the middle fuel injector was chewed thru. In order to get to this (and also clean up all of the mess they made), I pretty much had to tear the whole sled apart.
What a mess!
I am on my way to the dealer now to see how long it will take to get a new wiring harness. Luckily I can't get out riding for a couple of weeks yet. Hopefully I can get a new one or repair this one by then.
I made the mistake of not putting alot of mice repellent in the sled after I bought it in April and put it away for storage. Expensive lesson learned. But if anyone want a Nytro torn apart I know how to do that now. Hopefully I can get it all back together again.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 161

mice

i suggest u mousetrap ur shed.
I recently learned of possibly the best mousetrap ever.

u need:
5 gal bucket
broomstick or round wood dowel
paper towel roll, OR thinwall plastic pipe...i used sink drain pipe.
wood scraps to make a ramp.
some peanut butter
some water

1 take 5 gal bucket, cut v-notches in top to hold broomstick piece cut to little longer than bucket width.
2 cut pipe to fit inside bucket diameter by like a inch.
3 slip pipe over dowel and insert dowel into notch.
4 apply a stripe of peanut butter all the way around the pipe in the very middle of its length.
5. fill bucket with water/antifreeze depending on if u have pets
6. stick bucket where u want mice dead. built/rig some sort of ramps to the dowel so the mice walk up ramps, onto pipe, and then try to eat some peanut butter that isnt dead center, and go for a swim!!
7. watch it work. mine is a week old and has caught 8 mice so far without being refilled or emptied of mice. i love this thing!!

Well,
Just got back from the dealer, $175 later.
$100 for the wiring harness and $75 for new foam under the hood and side panels. I could have probably left the panels the way they were, but it just wouldn't feel like a new sled. Now just have to wait a week for the parts.
Thanks for all the mousetrap idea's! I am going to be looking for a better place to store the sleds next year. They also got into my wife's Vector, only damage was the foam and lots of mess. They didn't touch my old '98 Polaris with 10,000 miles on it (not even a mouse turd)

Re: mice

Groomer08 said:
i suggest u mousetrap ur shed.
I recently learned of possibly the best mousetrap ever.

u need:
5 gal bucket
broomstick or round wood dowel
paper towel roll, OR thinwall plastic pipe...i used sink drain pipe.
wood scraps to make a ramp.
some peanut butter
some water

1 take 5 gal bucket, cut v-notches in top to hold broomstick piece cut to little longer than bucket width.
2 cut pipe to fit inside bucket diameter by like a inch.
3 slip pipe over dowel and insert dowel into notch.
4 apply a stripe of peanut butter all the way around the pipe in the very middle of its length.
5. fill bucket with water/antifreeze depending on if u have pets
6. stick bucket where u want mice dead. built/rig some sort of ramps to the dowel so the mice walk up ramps, onto pipe, and then try to eat some peanut butter that isnt dead center, and go for a swim!!
7. watch it work. mine is a week old and has caught 8 mice so far without being refilled or emptied of mice. i love this thing!!

Done this before...works like a charm!!

snowriderjoe said:
Well,
$100 for the wiring harness and $75 for new foam under the hood and side panels. I could have probably left the panels the way they were, but it just wouldn't feel like a new sled. Now just have to wait a week for the parts.
Thanks for all the mousetrap idea's! I am going to be looking for a better place to store the sleds next year. They also got into my wife's Vector, only damage was the foam and lots of mess. They didn't touch my old '98 Polaris with 10,000 miles on it (not even a mouse turd)

They dont like that 11 year old meat they like the fresh new stuff :yam:

Man that really sucks. I've been using those little hotels where mice can go in and eat the poison and then end up dying somewhere. Works great never had a problem and pets can't get into it with it encloed in the hotel.

snowriderjoe said:
Well,

Should have gotten in touch with me. I had a harness that could have fixed you up. As for the foam, most people I know remove it. It gets dirty and absorbs moisture. You will have fun removing it.

I just bought some of those electronic things that drives mice and moles away with sound waves. I have always seen them in my garage, I have not seen one since I pluged in the sound thing. I got 3 for $20 at Lowes, they just plug into a standard outlet. Seems to be working.

Those miserable little bah-steds can do a lot of damage :o|

I use mothballs in the sled trailer - haven't had any mice since.

Several years back I had carpal tunnel surgery, so was unable to ride my street bike all summer. Mice got into the airbox and built a nest.
Mice in airbox + Downdraft Carbs = Cylinders full of mouse piss.
That was one nasty mess :whine:

Back