• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mono bigboy and revalve

sgilbert

TY 4 Stroke Guru
its been awhile since I did my own apex, where is it that everybody was sending the monoshock for the big boy spring and valve job. if I remember, it was in ny

could be either pioneer performance
or hygear. both are in ny
i prefer hygear. dump the bigboy spring and get one of hygears dual spring kits with a revalve

RTX said:
i prefer hygear. dump the bigboy spring and get one of hygears dual spring kits with a revalve

I take it you have one RTX, how do you like it?

I used Pioneer Performance the first time...was ok. Used Hygear the next time..was happier with results (my personal opinion. Either are reputable though and do quality work). Shocks are currently up at Hygear being freshened up.

I had Hygears dual spring and re-valve on mine, it worked great. I ended up going with a ZX2 because of the slider wear, and cracked/bent rails on the stock skid. I also had Hygear re-valve my ZX2, it's perfect now.

I've had pioneer do my mono shock and my Expert X shocks. Shock work on mono was awesome. The Expert X shocks were toast when I bought them so he just rebuilt them. I'm sure either company will do a fine job.
I will say both times he had the shock rebuilt/ revalved and shipped back to my the day after he received them.

Friend of mine sent his out to a different company(not Hygear) and it took two months.

I'm about to send my shock to Shock Tec in Ontario, I hear nothing but good things from the Canadian guys about Frank

Irv said:
RTX said:

i had pioneer install a big boy spring and a full rebuild and revalve my rear mono shock. it was still bottoming a lot and eventually the shock failed on me 1/2 way through the season. at that point i sent it to hygear and had hygear do a Full rebuild and a new revalve my shock and was happy with it. Much better ride and less bottoming. at the time i did not get the dual stage spring, I wish i had but it was mid season and money was tight
i have spoke with people with the dual spring and most love it. thats why i suggested it.
i am actually using a megafloat right now with a complete hygear overhaul and revalve.
Back in 2006, i was under the impression i bought a rough trail sled.
I have spent a small fortune on on shocks and revalves to try to make the mono a better skid.

RTX said:
Irv said:
RTX said:

i had pioneer install a big boy spring and a full rebuild and revalve my rear mono shock. it was still bottoming a lot and eventually the shock failed on me 1/2 way through the season. at that point i sent it to hygear and had hygear do a Full rebuild and a new revalve my shock and was happy with it. Much better ride and less bottoming. at the time i did not get the dual stage spring, I wish i had but it was mid season and money was tight i have spoke with people with the dual spring and most love it. thats why i suggested it.
i am actually using a megafloat right now with a complete hygear overhaul and revalve.
Back in 2006, i was under the impression i bought a rough trail sled.
I have spent a small fortune on on shocks and revalves to try to make the mono a better skid.

Ok, thanks.
I see they are not cheap but if I knew with all certainty that it was money well spent, then I'd probably go for it?
Hopefully a few peeps who have one will chime in?.

I just sent my mono to Hygear and am just having the rebuild/revalve. I put the 7.0 yamaha spring on it at the end of last year after breaking the skid again. It is a little over $400 for the revalve and dual rate spring. I just couldn't swing it so hopefully I will still see a noticable improvement!

Back