• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono shock eyelet worn through....

87gtNOS

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
12 Apex XTX MCX powered
Well today I was working on changing my drive sprockets, sliders...etc.....and have found that the rear eyelet of my Mono Shock has now worn right through. At the end of last winter all that were left of my Ulmer bearings were the centers!! But today, there is only one side, as I guess the nut on the bolt itself backed off and the remainder of the bearing went with it! This is a bummer because I was gonna throw on a couple new bearings but now only have the one sides sleeve.

Anyways, I figure I'd take a couple pics in the morning and email them to Yamaha Canada. Ask them when they think about the safety of it. ;):D

When I get a new track, I will try to avoid having any of the bases of the studs near the center of the track....

Anyone else faced with a similar problem?

Mine wasnt pretty either. I'm in the stage of getting a SC10-3 or 4 for mine as of now. I just got my shock back from being revalved as well. Im not too impressed with the Mono Shock , rubbing , wear ride hookup or transfer. Mine has a wopping 2300 miles on it.

I have about 3500 miles.

Jonathon, Yamaha U.S.A just warrantied my Ohlins for my GT. I have 2800miles. I had the exact problem, except mine did not go all the way through. Pretty close though...

Here are a couple pics of mine.
This is definitely a safety issue.

Attachments

• mono.jpg
    mono.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 97
  • mono1.jpg
    mono1.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 93
Hey Justin, where did you have your limiter strap set?
I have mine sucked all the way up(max ski pressure) and I haven't had ANY wear since I changed the track.
I did take a piece of round nylon bar stock, and machined it down to be about the size of the 6205 bearing, put one on each side of the shock mount like the "bearing fix".
Now, any rubbing hits the nylon rounds and the nylon is softer than the track, so the wear is taken by the round.

rehm70 said:
Hey Jonathon!!, where did you have your limiter strap set?
I have mine sucked all the way up(max ski pressure) and I haven't had ANY wear since I changed the track.
I did take a piece of round nylon bar stock, and machined it down to be about the size of the 6205 bearing, put one on each side of the shock mount like the "bearing fix".
Now, any rubbing hits the nylon rounds and the nylon is softer than the track, so the wear is taken by the round.

My limiter is one hole tighter than stock.

4500 miles on mine, it didn't look much better. I now have the ulmer bearings on it, hopefully it holds up, but hey less weight right!

87gtNOS said:
Here are a couple pics of mine.
This is definitely a safety issue.

Definately a potentially serious safety issue.
I had hoped they would only wear so far.
Obviously from your photos my hope was misplaced.
When Yammie replaced my Ohlins which was leaking they sent a rebuilt.
The rebuilt was worn a fair bit at the eye although nothing like yours.
I took photos and queried the dealer who queried Yamaha and was told not to worry.
By the looks of your photo it appears that was bad advice.
I have always been treated well by Yammie Canada with the few issues I have had so I am alittle hesitant to say this, but.
You probably should call Scott Harrison directly and you may want to ask him if he could steer you in the right direction at Transport Canada as to where you should report this safety issue.
Let us know what response you get.

87gtNOS said:
rehm70 said:
Hey Jonathon!!, where did you have your limiter strap set?

My limiter is one hole tighter than stock.
Johnathon send the pics to Chris Reid @http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca

c

I took a couple of pics of my rear shock protectors with my phone....maybe it will explain what I was trying to put into words.

I made them oversize, then cut a flat surface for the track to rub against. Didn't know how much it was gonna wear down, but it hasn't worn at all, and as you can see, the track has no grooves, gouges, or scrapes where the bushings are.
I changed my track with 3 miles on the sled, so I can't comment on whether or not I would have had a wear problem, but I saw alot of guys on here having it, so I took pre-emptive action.
D

REHM70
I did the exact same thing on my 2006 rtx at the end of it's first season.
thousands of miles later I am in the same boat as you. no wear no problems.
I watched a lot of guys install bearings. Glad i decided to go this route.

/

RTX said:
REHM70
I did the exact same thing on my 2006 rtx at the end of it's first season.
thousands of miles later I am in the same boat as you. no wear no problems.
I watched a lot of guys install bearings. Glad i decided to go this route.

Gee.....I wonder if this makes us, "Great Visionaries"?lol :drink:

All kidding aside, I hope Jonathon, and others who have this problem are reimbursed.

Back