• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono Shock Issues.

drifter said:
I talked to Yamaha yesterday. Anyone with a 2005 RX-1 with Monoshock will be very happy. It sounds like you will be getting all the 2006 updates. I will have confirmation after the 2006 Snowmobile Tech seminar.

Please keep us posted on this. If there is a bulletin or campaign # that would help.
Thanks for taking the time to bring this to us 05 owners.
Dean

What I was observing as the problem with the adjuster cable is snow/ice melting around the cable when parked, they being yanked off by the track when you took off.

Oh yea, my Mono skid has had everything replaced but the rails and wheels.

Rail Tips, Front Arm, Rear Arm, Bushings, and the Shock all had some sort of failure.

drifter said:
I talked to Yamaha yesterday. Anyone with a 2005 RX-1 with Monoshock will be very happy. It sounds like you will be getting all the 2006 updates. I will have confirmation after the 2006 Snowmobile Tech seminar.

Do you know what the updates are?

I'm most interested in the W-arm. Is there an updated stronger one?

As far as my suspension troubles it has been a nightmare. 3 w-arms, 2 slide rails, many idlers, slide retainers, bushings, 2 RA cable, etc. Even the updated RA cable protector fatigued and broke in two after about 8000 kms of use.

Even though I managed to put on lots of miles, my sled has basically been out of action waiting for parts since Feb 28th. I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet.

The shock cable broke in mine and they replaced it with what looks like the same thing except black tape wrapped on it. I asked about a shield to protect the cable and he had never heard of one.

drifter said:

I will believe it when I get the confirmation in the mail from Yamaha.

i talked to my dealer about these issues with the 05's and he said he knows nothing and that the 05 RX-1's are bullet proof.
sounds like i may be out of luck if i have any bad parts.

if that is the case, is anyone know if any of the arms or bushings are available aftermarket?

it won't be long now...can't what :D

I am getting ready to pull my suspension and rebuild it. While I have it out, I will be putting in grease fittings, and I would also like to change out the hard plastic wheels with rubber wheels. Does anybody here know if this is possible? Does Yamaha have the wheels of the correct size only rubber?

QCRider said:
I am getting ready to pull my suspension and rebuild it. While I have it out, I will be putting in grease fittings, and I would also like to change out the hard plastic wheels with rubber wheels. Does anybody here know if this is possible? Does Yamaha have the wheels of the correct size only rubber?

I'm looking for the same info. So far I've found you can install the 06 wheels or the optional colored wheels. I don't know if there are aftermarket wheels that fit.

The 06 wheels have a 1/4" or so of rubber on the outside, but IMO they won't last much longer and the bearings are still not replaceable. They should (do) run quite a bit quieter. Keep in mind I only know about some of the pre-production wheels that might not have been as good as the actual 06 wheels.

The optional colored wheels have a thick rubber section and have replaceable bearings. I'm going to look at them in more detail as I think this is the way to go (if you want to ride high miles without spending 1000's of dollars on wheels per season). Apparently they are also cheaper than the 05 or 06 wheels.

[quote="ReXI'm looking for the same info. So far I've found you can install the 06 wheels or the optional colored wheels. I don't know if there are aftermarket wheels that fit.

The 06 wheels have a 1/4" or so of rubber on the outside, but IMO they won't last much longer and the bearings are still not replaceable. They should (do) run quite a bit quieter. Keep in mind I only know about some of the pre-production wheels that might not have been as good as the actual 06 wheels.

The optional colored wheels have a thick rubber section and have replaceable bearings. I'm going to look at them in more detail as I think this is the way to go (if you want to ride high miles without spending 1000's of dollars on wheels per season). Apparently they are also cheaper than the 05 or 06 wheels.[/quote]

So you are saying that the colored wheels from the Yammie site fit and have replaceable bearings? I just looked at the Dennis Kirk site, and they carry Kimpex 5 1/4" wheels that are the same outside diameter as the Yammi wheels. I am not sure when the I.D. for that bearing is though. If it is 25mm (or 1") then the Kimpex wheels would fit and also have replaceable bearings.

Ok, here's a question I hope someone can answer. What is the difference between the bogie wheels from the '03-04' ProAction Skid (part number 8CR-47310-10-00
) and the Bogie wheels from the '05 Monoshock RA skid (part number 8ES-47310-10-00) other than what they are made from? The bearings on the 8CR-47310-10-00 can be replaced, the 8ES-47310-10-00 I am not sure about, but they are totally plastic with no rubber and I hate them.

I haven't measured myself but I have been told that the standard aftermarket wheels and the 03/04 wheels have a different width bearing as well as a different ID on the bearing. The 05 RX-1 definitely uses a smaller, lower capacity bearing.

The only wheels that are supposed to be a bolt in replacement are the optional Yamaha colored wheels for the 05/06 RX/RS sleds. Maybe some aftermarket manufacturer has started making them too - I haven't checked recently.

I believe RX1-er-2005 is running the colored Yamaha wheels on his sled.

drifter said:
I have customers that are wearing out bushings and ripping the adjuster boots.

How many of you are having these issues with you Monoshock skids?

two w arms in 2500 miles, two adjuster cables, bushings wasted front and rear sus. both times it went in for the w arm (still at the dealer since feb from the last arm failure) last failure took out the track. from what i heard there is an update on the arms and a cable guard for the shock, god i hope it's true. i've been thinking about getting the yes warranty just because of the issues last year.

ReX said:
drifter said:

Do you know what the updates are?

I'm most interested in the W-arm. Is there an updated stronger one?

As far as my suspension troubles it has been a nightmare. 3 w-arms, 2 slide rails, many idlers, slide retainers, bushings, 2 RA cable, etc. Even the updated RA cable protector fatigued and broke in two after about 8000 kms of use.

Even though I managed to put on lots of miles, my sled has basically been out of action waiting for parts since Feb 28th. I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet.

out of curiosity where did you rail crack at? i might want to take a close look at mine whenever i get it back from the dealer.

700SCOTT said:
two w arms in 2500 miles, two adjuster cables, bushings wasted front and rear sus. both times it went in for the w arm (still at the dealer since feb from the last arm failure) last failure took out the track. from what i heard there is an update on the arms and a cable guard for the shock, god i hope it's true. i've been thinking about getting the yes warranty just because of the issues last year.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. My sled is in my barn but it's been waiting for parts and broken down since February too.

When 2nd arm failed it also took out my track. Was your track covered by Yamaha? I gave up fighting and bought a new one out of pocket.

Back