• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More Broken Suspension (center again)

My dealer originally told me end of January was the eta on this kit to fix the broken link. They then called me later to say Yamaha is supplying these on a limited basis for true urgent requirements. Price is in the $500.00 range per my dealer. My sled broke about 1 week out of warranty and dealer told me Yamaha will pay for parts but I am responsible for labor. I plan to again contact Yamaha customer support to see first hand if this is the best they will offer. If Yamaha wasn't paying for the parts, I would buy the link kit available at www.hygearsuspension.com

Word is my parts wont be here till Febuary.Some of the a-arm bushings are also backordered.Hope she holds together till Febuary.

I found the same shaft bent on my FX yesterday. Droped off the skid at the dealer today. No broken link yet. I have a grand total of 278 miles on my sled. I'm feeling like I should have spent the additional money to get an 08 last month. I brought up the link problem prior to buying the 07 and they responded with "What link problem?"

Soldier'spapa said:
I found the same shaft bent on my FX yesterday. Droped off the skid at the dealer today. No broken link yet. I have a grand total of 278 miles on my sled. I'm feeling like I should have spent the additional money to get an 08 last month. I brought up the link problem prior to buying the 07 and they responded with "What link problem?"

That's typical....

when i hit 1900 miles i said the sa,e thing, it would have broke by now. 30 miles later........it broke. had to ride it home 60 miles....

getting sick of yamaha and there POS phazer

SumpBuster said:
Someday I need to take a closer look at what is different from my 05 Vector 'twin shock' and the phazer (other than the rear linkage, it seems 'similar'). I have 4 grease fittings on the Vector 'link', and with over 3300 miles of snot beating (now my 16 year old son beats the snot out of it) everything still looks perfect..even the cheesy looking idlers..but she gets greased and checked after every ride. He's keeping up with Apex', Machz', etc, and bottoms it out regularly. Turning out to be a pretty tough suspension. Wonder how the phazer design got so out of wack, considering the 05 Vector was the preliminary design of the pro active or twin shock....

Let's make no mistake about all this... Yamaha has had a problem with their Proactive design since day 1 in 2005. Feel free to search TY for all my posts since 2006. I have been uncovering all these problems, developing solutions and posting the info in the RS section.

I got an 05 Vector with the same design suspension. I've broken everything... Limiter Straps, Rear Arm, (2) Front W-Arms, Center Pivot Link, Cracked Slide Rails and a bent rear tunnel. I do not jump or Snow-X... I do ride Tug Hill, though!

Anyhow, after I fixed every one of these problems with customizing the stock parts, Yammy came out with a updated parts with similar solutions to my own the next model year. Oh well, that what you get for buying something the first year it came out. I should send Yammy a bill for development work!

No that I'm on on my 3rd major skid repair, I'm at the end of my rope. I decided that any harsh bottoming must be prevented at all costs with this weak skid. So, I contacted Ross @ Hygear for revalving advice and we spoke at length about the deficiencies of this particular design. He explained how the suspension has a lot of self-induced binding action, mostly due to the center pivot link that couples the front and rear shocks. (That little triangular piece... Aluminum on RTX, Fabricated steel on the Vector & Nytro) Ross has come up with a linkage kit to eliminate this problem by decoupling the front shock from that weak pivot assembly. The solution is very similar to the mounting of the center shock on the proven SkiDoo SC10-3. The solution makes perfect sense once you analyze it, so I am going forward with it. I'll post pics when I'm done. For now, check out my collection of broken parts headed for my "Hall-of-Shame" shelf in the garage.

Attachments

• All_Tore_Up.jpg
    All_Tore_Up.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 150
I bought a Hygear kit also.Going to give the updated Yamaha parts a try before I go with the Hygear setup.Maybe you will change my mind and I will do it right away.You have some very helpful posts.Seems like a carbon copy of what going on in this forum.Thanks for calling attention to it.

My intention was to address the issue befor I developed a problem (Only way I could have known about the skid problems was this great site.)unfortunatly we chose to try it out first and rode it pretty much stock for the first trip this season. I wish I had just taken Ross at his word and spent the money for his uncoupling system prior to hitting the trails. Problem now is I may have to wait for parts. I am looking forward though to feeling the improvement in the ride.

Just an update on my broken link......took about 1 week for the dealer to get. Although computer showed kit on backorder, Yamaha is allocating these for "in shop" requirements with valid dealer work orders assigned. My sled was 1 week out of warranty when it failed and Yamaha still paid for the '08 parts kit (about $500.00) and they covered all labor. Overall I am satisfied with the way the factory took care of it

Back