• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More wheels part-1, to extend silder wear, XTX -*update*-

I just put in the x wheels this weekend, you can change out the front wheels but you need to take out the top shock bolt and the linkage bolt and remove the whole shock and wheel assembly. It is not easy and is a two man job. I had the rear end suspended about 18 inches off the ground hanging from the rear end so it left you lots of room to move around. I am no mechanic but had a good friend who is very good at this stuff and it was still a challenge to do. I have a new sled and the bolts were so tight from the factory we had to use an impact driver to get them off. The top shock bolt fortunately was not as tight but it takes two guys to get off.

Why not just remove the skid? It's an easy one man job and makes things a lot easier. Just lift the rear, loosen the track and remove 4 bolts to pull it out. Took me 10 minutes by myself.

redrider18 said:
Why not just remove the skid? It's an easy one man job and makes things a lot easier. Just lift the rear, loosen the track and remove 4 bolts to pull it out. Took me 10 minutes by myself.

I had the skid out last year when I replaced the track, ordered the wheels but they were delayed so I put the skid back in so I could ride that weekend. When the wheels came in the next week I didn't want to pull the skid again just to change the 2 inner wheels, so I changed the rest and said I would do it at a later date, well it's a later date, and I didn't want to pull the skid if I didn't have too! I guess I will if it's going to be easier.

slider wear

I think the new dupont sliders should fix this issue. Yamaha have obviously reacted after years of poor slider issues.
Extra wheels put stress on the skid according to them...thier R&D should know and could have sorted this problem a lot sooner.
The new skis should also make cornering easier!
my two cents

I'm looking at putting a marginal snow kit on the front of my rails on my 121 (extended to 144 now) which is straight forward,

As for adding wheels between the current front and rears), what is my best bet? The picture NLVMAX posted on page 2, looks like what I need, but I don't need billet wheels, will those spacers work with the plastic wheels, and what is their part number? 8ES-47419-00-00 ???

Re: slider wear

alsops said:
I think the new dupont sliders should fix this issue. Yamaha have obviously reacted after years of poor slider issues.
Extra wheels put stress on the skid according to them...thier R&D should know and could have sorted this problem a lot sooner.
The new skis should also make cornering easier!
my two cents

Where do we find these new Dupont sliders...? Yamaha Parts Catalogue ? Dealer?

My dealer says they are supposed to be released this month. Advertised to give about 5x the life of the old style. I believe price was around $60 each, so ~$120 to do a sled.

Holy slider of gold, i'm sure i was able to buy 6 doo wheels with bearings for under $120. And going on my 3rd season with the same sliders.

My stealer told me that the oil lite yamaha Bushings (I ordered) will be out also by then! You know what I say?..if their lips are movin..........they're lyin!

Not to get off topic, but was also told a new style of dual runner ski will be released this month. I saw a picture, they looked like Kimpex Arrow's but wider.

Yamaha's have always been hard on Highfax. In My opinion it's the terrible attack Angle at the front of the Skid. I added two sets of wheels from Fix Performance to My RTX se and it's really helped.

Reviving a 2011 FAQ post about slider wear, Nlh, if you are around, please update... info is relevant to a recent idler wheel post about the small front wheels ("marginal snow kit"), do these really help? I have duponts and the 8 X-wheel kit, notice wear is still near the 121" mark just before the kick up. I am considering adding the fourth wheel kit but as noted this at the end of the kick up of a 144" so likely not really getting too much contact. I have ice scratchers too but more wheels seems better to a point...

Reviving a 2011 FAQ post about slider wear, Nlh, if you are around, please update... info is relevant to a recent idler wheel post about the small front wheels ("marginal snow kit"), do these really help? I have duponts and the 8 X-wheel kit, notice wear is still near the 121" mark just before the kick up. I am considering adding the fourth wheel kit but as noted this at the end of the kick up of a 144" so likely not really getting too much contact. I have ice scratchers too but more wheels seems better to a point...

Do you duponts work on their own? Or is the 8 X Wheel kit the way to go with the XTX skid?? Just started looking at my skid and trying to figure out the best way to fix the hyfax wear the first time.

Back