• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mountain Riders Let's Build the ultimate sled

sledskiing

Expert
Website
www.sledmods.com
OK The recent snow here in CO is making me itch. I need to think and talk sleds so lets hypothetically build the ultimate deep powder mountain/ bookdocking sled.

What are we starting out with and what mods need to be done. Let's here it!!! :yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

1979 artic cat 3000, with a skidoo 440 fan jamed under the hood but in kinda cocked so it will blow belts every few miles! my very first sled :Rockon:

Look no further! And I'm betting its still for sale! LOL, saw this kid on the hill last year and just had to get a picture.

Attachments

• 200dollah.JPG
    200dollah.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 163
  • HC.JPG
    HC.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 77
Seriously though, you should set this post up as a pole with different catagories so everyone can vote on their favorite components for their dream sled:

Tunnel:
Stock
Fabcraft
Timbersled
CR
VE
etc.

Skid:
Holz
M-10
EZ-ride
Stock

Seat:
Stock
Mt. Mod
Boss
etc.

And so on...On second thought, it might be to much work to list all the choices. Saw this in a mountain bike magazine though, and it was pretty cool. All the readers voted on their favorite components and then they built up a bike with all the winning choices and gave it away by drawing.

I'd start out with a APEX mtn and,

-carbon fiber tunnel
-holz rear skid
-fox floats all around
-boss seat
-supercharger
-nos
-titanium a-arms
-handlebar risers
-carbon fiber hood
-c&a skis
-lightweight everything else

---and im spent :bling

yamaslob said:
I'd start out with a APEX mtn and,

-carbon fiber tunnel
-holz rear skid
-fox floats all around
-boss seat
-supercharger
-nos
-titanium a-arms
-handlebar risers
-carbon fiber hood
-c&a skis
-lightweight everything else

---and im spent :bling

WOW so we are up to $50k now :jump:

Anybody see any benefits of not starting with an APEX mtn? Maybe start with an RTX

sledskiing said:
Anybody see any benefits of not starting with an APEX mtn? Maybe start with an RTX

May be start with a carry over RX-M and add rider forward.....although you'd be missing the F.I., you're going to have 240hp anyways....and the only thing that would come close is another boosted Yamaha.

Watch Mountain Mod Mania 4.
The "Ultimate Apex": CR tunnel, Alpine Turbo, Boondocker NOS, Wiseco Pistons, & (forgot the name) rods. Throw a 12 year old pilot on a 375hp sled and presto, you just won the hill climb competition.

I think this would be the "Ultimat Apex" if they would have used more lightweight stuff. No matter how much power you have it's hard to beat an M7 or Summit for boondocking.

My ultimate mtn sled would consist of the following;

Step 1- 2nd Mortgage ;)!

Step 2- Diamond S all Titanium Chassis with Carbed motor
Timber Sled Custom Roller Chain Drive with drop and roll
Timber Sled front Suspension with variable spindle castor
Fabcraft or EZ Ride skid (hear great things about the EZ Ride)
162" Challenger Extreme track
Avid Drivers
MPI Stage 3 SC with motor work
All necissary gauges
Custom dual side dump exhaust through the tapered tunnel ext.(one each side)
Wildchild rider forward kit
PPD X-MT Skis BOSS High Rise seat
Custom Painted CF hood
Fly Aero Taper CF bars on a Fly 8" riser

Step 3- Enjoy

Jim

Just a thought..

Why would you want to dump 30-40 thousand dollars into something that will end up rolling down hill?

welterracer said:
Just a thought..

Why would you want to dump 30-40 thousand dollars into something that will end up rolling down hill?

I've got at least half that into it and is hasn't been upside down yet unless I'm rolling it to get unstuck. I don't do much climbing after my mod RMK incident. That sled was a little rough when done after I turned out at the top of this hill in this pic doing about 40 MPH with speedo reading 63 MPH(just below the rock cliff in CrownButte2 photo) when we were climbing from the sadle (shown in the center of the dragracehill photo). The top of Crown Butte is above the tracks on the right side. We were climbing from the saddle above the tracks in the middle.

I turned to the right and the sled spun all the way around and was facing to the left. The sled flipped me off and then went end over end twice then; rolled 20+ times according to onlookers. The Gallatin Forest Service guy thought he was going to need the S&R to haul me out on a stretcher board but I jumped up and stopped the sled which was chasing me down the hill. We both stopped about 75 yards above the saddle (I flipped end over end twice in that distance). That doesn't look like a verry big hill until you notice the drag race picture is a profile of Crown Butte and the cliffs are out of the picture.

Every day since then I've been mostly a boondocker where light weight is a plus and damage is minimal. I have ran the SCRX-1 up the left side from the very bottom a couple times but, have never put a mark up to the cliffs since my little ride in '99.

Jim

Attachments

• CrounButte2.jpg
    CrounButte2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Drag Race Hill.jpg
    Drag Race Hill.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 138

Back