• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mudbuster Cam

smitty

What will a mudbuster cam do for me? I dont know a whole lot about cams yet. How hard are they to instal and what all do you have to do and adjust after you put one in? This would be for a 05 Grizz 660

hey Smitty,I'm not sure how much power increase you would get from the cam alone , I would recommend installing a high compression piston also.I just installed a 686 11:1 piston with the mudbuster and WOW does it haul . If you do decide to install it yourself go pick up a sevice manual :-o

I realize this is an old post, most are that are on this site though.

The cam alone is an excellent boost, the Mudbuster and Stage 1 Raptor camshafts are VERY close to one another. If it were me, I'd go St. 1. The lift is ever so slightly less on the St. 1 which means if you happen to raise the engine rpm levels, there will be less fear of spring coil bind at high rpm with the stock springs in place if the valves happen to float or wear or both.

The way it is, the St. 1 leaves .080" before the stock springs coil bind, the Mudbuster runs than down to .030", which means that if the valves float even the slightest amount due to increased engine rpm, the windings will touch as the reverb from bouncing on the closing side causes a destructive frequency of vibration to run through the spring and keeps the valves from closing completely before the next opening cycle. Float is the precursor to bounce, rarely do you have one without the other.

If you don't plan on raising the rpm with the Mudbuster in place, you got it made, it will increase the power at lower rpm, slightly, over the St 1.

The St 1 or Mudbuster cam alone is worth more power than any single thing you can add, besides a blower or turbo or nitrous. The additional power is easily noticed with no other changes. Since both these cams are billet designs, no need for hardened rocker arm wear pads. Also, they're drop ins, no springs needed.

Changing the jetting afterwards is nearly as important. Find somebody with a dyno and an O2 sensor and have them dial it in. The added cost is well worth it!!! From what I've seen, getting the jetting right is nearly as much a gain as the cam is and finishes off a good install.

There is little need to add compression with either of these cams, the lobe centerlines and valve overlap are small enough to not upset the bottom power, typically speaking, it's an increase across the rpm range.

Mudbuster install on a grizz 660 requires swapping out the center intake valve spring with a raptor one.

Back