• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler soft heat shield repair ideas?

Firecatdude

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 ZR 9000 LTD
Has anyone tried repairing the soft heat shield on their sled? Muffler is doing a number on it on the inside. I was thinking foil heat tape but not sure if it could handle the heat. Thoughts?

Does anyone know how hot the muffler gets? Can seem to find anywhere to buy that tape from here. Might have to buy something with less of a temperature rating.

The part I want to repair is part #15 where it touches part #3. It touches the exhaust shield so I would think that is not as hot as the exhaust. Not sure that DEI stuff would work. Isn’t it a wrap? I tried to upload a pic from my sled showing spot I’m talking about but I keep getting an error message saying file is too big.

759BDEF8-EF50-4D83-95CB-DD6E7A352906.png

Found this pic online for reference. It’s burning/deteriorating on the inside of the circled area, but just the outside covering on the blanket. The insulation inside seems to be fine. Thought maybe high temp foil tape to repair

E4CE8FB7-1CDC-45DC-96BF-0A8B35354D96.jpeg

Found this pic online for reference. It’s burning/deteriorating on the inside of the circled area, but just the outside covering on the blanket. The insulation inside seems to be fine. Thought maybe high temp foil tape to repair

View attachment 161411
Maybe Thermo Tec has something? They have a bunch of different heat shielding materials. I've used their products for years and found it to be high quality. Link: https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/stainless-steel-clamp-on-heat-shield

you can get DEI in a roll or 32' and it is just enough to do the WHOLE inside of side panel.... looks like the legs on the lander on the moon!! you can also get it in a 2'x2' sheet and thats what i did my curtain in... its good to 1100'

you can get DEI in a roll or 32' and it is just enough to do the WHOLE inside of side panel.... looks like the legs on the lander on the moon!! you can also get it in a 2'x2' sheet and thats what i did my curtain in... its good to 1100'

Does that DEI stuff have an adhesive on one side or did you have to attach it somehow?

4974EB94-ECAC-41B8-AB4F-C206FF661D3C.png
Does that DEI stuff have an adhesive on one side or did you have to attach it somehow?
We use the dei tunnel shield with very good results, yes it has adhesive backing& good to 1750 degrees

yes its adhesive on back, would love to load my pic of it, but on this site it keeps saying file is to big... the tunnel shield for race cars is thicker material.... but the gold or silver ...in the tape or sheet form is 1100.

Why dont you just buy a new heat shield. Lots of race sleds out there, you should be able to find a good used one too.

Silly question. Can you put the DEI barrier on part 3 in the parts diagram? Would it be worth it, or better to put it on the inside of the plastic. I have to say I'm always a little nervous of the plastic melting.

Back