• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Munising area trail conditions

Rich Kay

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha apex rtx
Been up at camp for a week now and the trails are in very nice shape! the weather has been very cold ...5-10 deg for highs and 5-10 below at night with lake effect snow every day and more in the forcast!We had one day that saw 34 deg but it only helped tighten up the trail as the temps droped big time after with more snowfall. The trail base is very hard so trails are holding up nice but overall traffic has been light due to good snow down state. Rode to Grand Marais on a Saturday (after xmas) and it was bump free, best I have seen in years (except the section from Shingeton to the Beartrap...allways rough).Rode in every direction and had great conditions! on and off trail. Wetmore still has trouble with keeping up with grooming in there area?? they cant say its because of high traffic as i said its been low ...and the temps, snowfall have been perfect for making a great trail? Not venting just wish I had the answer... Looking ahead the forcast is great for the upcoming rides TY has planed!

Rich Kay said:
Been up at camp for a week now and the trails are in very nice shape! the weather has been very cold ...5-10 deg for highs and 5-10 below at night with lake effect snow every day and more in the forcast!We had one day that saw 34 deg but it only helped tighten up the trail as the temps droped big time after with more snowfall. The trail base is very hard so trails are holding up nice but overall traffic has been light due to good snow down state. Rode to Grand Marais on a Saturday (after xmas) and it was bump free, best I have seen in years (except the section from Shingeton to the Beartrap...allways rough).Rode in every direction and had great conditions! on and off trail. Wetmore still has trouble with keeping up with grooming in there area?? they cant say its because of high traffic as i said its been low ...and the temps, snowfall have been perfect for making a great trail? Not venting just wish I had the answer... Looking ahead the forcast is great for the upcoming rides TY has planed!

Is Gerou still grooming in Wetmore?

From what I understand someone else was to be taking over?? someone else can chime in if they know any info for sure.

Not sure about if he's the head monkey or not, but Tommy Adgate is grooming in the Munising area. He groomed for Seney the last few years, but if they would groom their trails like Seney does, their trail system will improve drastically.

rx1mtn said:
Not sure about if he's the head monkey or not, but Tommy Adgate is grooming in the Munising area. He groomed for Seney the last few years, but if they would groom their trails like Seney does, their trail system will improve drastically.

I just got back from Munising. The trails are the best they've ever been. Whatever changes that have been made are very noticeable. It's very evident that they're cutting and not just panning at high speed. If Munising keeps this going they'll be the premier UP destination. And from what I've heard from others it's been good since the start of the season. I was very impressed with Muni this weekend.

Does anyone know if the lake ice has been affecting snow for the Munising area yet? I looked at an ice coverage map on NOAA and it looks as if most of the lake has ice coverage now. The last time I know if that it froze over completely, the riding went to #@ll pretty quickly..

Yes, it is pretty well frozen over.
However, they have been getting new snow pretty regularly despite the lake.

Rock :-o

Back