• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Munising trails and lodging

studdog

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Planning a trip to Munising. How many days of riding are to be expected without riding the same trails over? Also, where is the best place to stay that is quality and full service? Full service meaning; rooms and food on property. Appreciate any recommendations.

You could easily ride for 5 days. There are 1-2 great Eastern loops out to Grand Marais, Pine Stump and Seney. Sount loop on the Haywire down to Manistique and Big Springs (if there's enough snow) and several destinations heading West.

We always stay at the Americinn in Wetmore, it's right across from the BP station and quick to get on the trail. Staying downtown, you can get one of the hotels that has a restaurant next door, but I've never liked trying to get in and out of downtown.

Thanks Beerman, Have you heard of Buckhorn resort south of town. It's self contained with restaurant and not in the chaos along M-28?

The Buckhorn is really well known........unfortunately they are usually all booked up for the season but it never hurts to check.......other than that there's little in the way of lodging that has food on the premises......other than the old Best Western on 28 that has the Cherrywood restaurant/bar... not great, but passable.......

Plenty of places to stay with easy trail access if on-site food not an issue....

Check at seney......... Fox river inn... Great owner.. Former prez of MSA.. You can take at least five days of good riding from there. If you do go look up the hot dog guy.. He's a cool guy. Have fun. MM.

MadMax. Thanks for the idea. We've been there and it can be great riding. Their snow is thin now. Also, restaurant accross the street is closed.

On my way home now from munising. Trails were rough and pretty thin in spots. But there was a TON of traffic. They will have it all groomed out in a day or two though.

The ride to grand marias was a nice scenic route, there are lots of great trails the as others have said. I stayed at the comfort inn in wettmore, which was nice lodging. Water was a little sulfurous, but not too bad, just noticeable. Is definitely stay there again.

studdog said:
MadMax. Thanks for the idea. We've been there and it can be great riding. Their snow is thin now. Also, restaurant accross the street is closed.

Andy's Seney Bar makes a killer breakfast, we have a big group staying in Seney last weekend of this month. As for dinners we have a house rented and cook our own. Can't wait for the friday night walleye fry!

As for riding out of Muni like beerman said, plenty of options. What weekend are you going?

We have reservations 1-23 thru 1-26 at the Buckhorn. We try and avoid weekends, Too many Warriors! Driving like @#$holes. Is it possible to ride west to Qwinn without getting tangled up in Marquette? I know the ride to Grand Marais is nice. We are hoping to be able to go south as well.

studdog said:
We have reservations 1-23 thru 1-26 at the Buckhorn. We try and avoid weekends, Too many Warriors! Driving like @#$holes. Is it possible to ride west to Qwinn without getting tangled up in Marquette? I know the ride to Grand Marais is nice. We are hoping to be able to go south as well.

Actually it's Gwinn.........and it's not only possible it's difficult to get there via Marquette LaLaLa .............from The Buckhorn go north on Trail 7 approx. 3 mi. to Trail 8........turn left.......stay on trail 8 approx. 30 mi. and voila......Gwinn. Not a whole lot there but there are a couple of restaurants.....if you go around lunch, hit Tailwinds........the old officer's club at K.I. Sawyer airbase (now the Marquette airport). They have signs to follow out on the trail.

buddah, Thanks for info. Please clarify your comment about via Marquette. I don not understand what you meant? Is there a loop to be dine out towards Gwinn?

A nice newer place to stop is the http://www.theupnorthlodge.com/ This place used to be on a lake but I heard it burned down a couple of years ago and was rebuilt at this new location. I've had lunch and dinner here and it was pretty good from what I remember. I think its just south (2 or 3 miles) of gwinn off trail 33?? (going toward Arnold)

studdog said:
buddah, Thanks for info. Please clarify your comment about via Marquette. I don not understand what you meant? Is there a loop to be dine out towards Gwinn?

I was just being a smarta$$.......to get to Marquette via the southern "loop" you have to go through Gwinn first. To get there via the northern "loop" you go out through Au Train and just keep going on that trail......THEN to get back to Gwinn you have to almost double back onto the southern loop and it's like 30 mi. back to Gwinn......

Basically to get to Gwinn via Marquette would probably be over a hundred miles when it's probably only 45 or so from The Buckhorn going the other way.......it's a nice loop to do though..........

I don't remember all the numbers of the individual trails but there's decent signs showing the way..........or you can look at trail maps on the web......

we are staying in Grand marais. has anyone been to the Tahquameneon Falls Brewerey and Pub? I have been to the upper falls before but never knew or saw that there was a restaurant there? Is there a trail connector to it? thanks

Yes, Its has trail right to it. It is a nice place to eat. Trails east of Grand Marais are in poor condtiion until they receive more snow.

Back