• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My last project - secondary clutch servicing

Ok, I bit more info...

I ran it, and the belt seemed to have too much tension on it, as it was really moving at idle on a stand. See first video. At some times it wouldn't stop unless I used the brake.

But after shutting it down and letting it sit a bit, and then running it again, it seemed to calm down and walk like it should. See the two videos.

Second video seems to be just how I'd want it, just a light crawl once and while. Belt seems to be sitting about 1-1.5mm above the top now though, not just below as it was before I ran it. So not sure if I should pull a shim which would lower the belt and remove a bit of tension.

And boy, that primary clutch makes a racket until the RPMs get up a bit...normal I think, but noisy! And as a reminder, I have the BOP soft start spring in the primary and new Yamaha white secondary spring.

Video 1

Video 2

Current belt seating after running in second video

beltaftwr2.jpeg

Last edited:

Think you are pretty close with the belt height in secondary now.
As mentioned before, the best time to check it is when the drive system is under load as in on the trail. Run it for a few good pulls get everything warmed up and check the belt height on the trail and adjust from there as needed.
These belts wear like iron so shouldn’t need to adjust very often once set.
Primary clutch noise you hear is normal.

Awesome thanks. It’s sitting about 1mm up. I’ll keave it till winter. Easy enough to adjust if needed. Just got the track alignment and tension set. Rear axle tight.

Thank you guys!

Woo boo!

Dude, you learned real quick on how to take the secondary apart and figure out little things that mean a lot to maintenance and things to check. Way to go man!!!

When running on a stand without lube or water, the slides will get sticky and can goof up the belt ride height in the secondary. But looks good man!

Back