• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RedTip & Plastic Backer experience...

MyOutdoors

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder Ltx Se
Well, I tried to get out of studding pretty cheap this year so I purchased 144 redtips and there plastic backers. The studs looked good when they were shipped, but as time went by they started to fail. I've only got just over 700 miles for this lame year but I haven't killed it on "crappy" conditions either. These studs were put through better treatment then any other brand I have personally owned in prior years. The couple of pics will show the studs that I lost the carbides too. I lost over 20 carbides? The next pics will show how bad the plastic backers flex. You can see at least 3/16" depression in the backers from the "tall" nuts. These backers never broke, they just flex and deformed. I believe Mike Knapp posted early in the season that when running plastic vs. aluminum...plastic will never hook up as well? I'm a firm believer now!

I never broke a stud or backer...but, the carbides just don't like to stay in these studs. I repaced the 20 + studs with brand new redtips and hit the ice last weekend for some local 660 drags. It was solid ice with a few inches of powder on top. When I got home and put the sled up to rotate the track I already noticed some more carbides missing again?

So, these were MY results this year. I will restud next year with a totally different brand and use aluminum backers this time. I'm not bashing this brand, just posting my results, since I had a hard time finding info on these particular studs. Spend your money wisely...I got what I paid for!

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 106

I checked my stud boys with less than 200 miles & several tips were missing(pic below).
I replaced them and now with 700 miles on my sled there are a LOT that have the carbides missing. thought studboy would be better than studs i have used in the past. :o| guess they dont make a stud for me that will last.

Attachments

• sb1.jpg
    sb1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 107
The best inexpensive studs I've used are mack studs. They are very similar to Woodys gold-diggers but cost less. 1,700 miles on them this season and all of them look great.

My red tips have 6000+ miles. I have had to replace 20 or so. The red tip backers are junk. Use rotin machined aluminum backers now :Rockon:

Woody's stainless signature series - 2000 miles all good - all double aluminum backers - 96 down the middle - good traction and braking, still can slide it a bit around corners. Less than a buck a piece, 48 double backers for $45 - and a package of stainless nuts for a little more.

I had plastic backers on my 800 and never had a problem. I just like the double backers - less flex, better hookup with less studs.

Maybe the plastic backers had something to do with letting the studs flex to much and the tips are falling out? When I did a search before buying them, it was 50/50 good and bad responses. The good responses I heard were like the members above post. I just don't know.

I've tried them all over the years and woodys gold diggers and their big round aluminum backers hold up the best. They are expensive but worth it...

You normally get what you pay for when it comes to studs. However, Ive ran the Stud Boy Power Points the past 2 seasons and am not reall that safisfyed with them. If I was still able to get Roetin, they would be my 1st choice, with any of the hardened steel woodys a very very close second. That said, I still believe Stud Boy makes the best backers out there. The Power Plates are just awesome...BBY

fourload said:
I've tried them all over the years and woodys gold diggers and their big round aluminum backers hold up the best. They are expensive but worth it...

I agree 110% ,Ive been the same route,trying to save a buck.Very happy with gold diggers and big round backers.

myoutdoors we havnt had a great winter too. soo a lot of rocks and dirt will take the tips off my woodys ss studs arent too bad for 600 miles so far maybe 1or2 bent and 4 missing tips but i get a warrenty for em. mack has always had the strongest stud was always skeptical about em and ive had em in 4 sleds and only bent 3 and lost 2 tips in all 4 sleds and mack has great custemer service you bend it or break a tip they replace it free.i would still be using it but my buddy has a good contract with woodys so i get them better name for his buiseness and race team.

I have used polymere backers for many years,they are made by fastrac and i have never broke or hurt one....they hold up amazingly and save alot of weight...

there are many other plastic type backers out there which are JUNK!...if you want to save weight ,be careful what you choose..i would only choose the round or square polymere STANDARD fastracs,no others.

the nylon types from different brands are no good either,ive seen them come apart.

typically aluminmum woodys are your best bet overall...but im always concerned with weight for radaring,so i choose fastrac and love them...

woodys GD for studs are the ONLY choice now IMO,since the roetin hornits are hard to come by anymore..

Dan

Back