• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My sled wouldn't start today...

blue er

Expert
I forgot to unplug my visor when jumping off, when i went to jump back on the sled wouldn't start. no fuel pump activation looks like when i pulled on the harness the fuel pump black wire got slightly pulled out of the connector, quick 5 min fix to push it back in and down the trail again.
guess i'll just remember to unplug my visor before i jump off the sled :yam:

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, only I have no clue why.

This morning I went out to start my sled and when I turned on the key I didn't hear my fuel pump come on. So I went into diagnostic mode #9 which shows voltage to the FUEL PUMP. It read zero. But strangely about 45 secs later it went to 11.7 . So I turned the key off then on and the pump worked. I rode it the rest of the day trouble free.

Run the visor direct to the battery, with a fuse at the battery. Also, if you leave the visor on for more than a few minutes, w/o being cooled by the wind, you have a high probability of wrecking it. First they distort the shield and then eventually the circuit can go open.

87gtNOS

There seems to be some issues with the fuel pump relays on some of the Apex's.

You may want to pick up a spare or change it out. I hear they are cheap.

Riceburner said:
87gtNOS

There seems to be some issues with the fuel pump relays on some of the Apex's.

You may want to pick up a spare or change it out. I hear they are cheap.

Thanks. Here's what I was doing...Harmony was standing looking at the guage while I had my head down by my clutches and I was tapping on those black thingys by the left foot. Are those the relays? Right about that time Harmony says it came on. It seems to have come on when I tapped them.

Len Todd said:
Run the visor direct to the battery, with a fuse at the battery. Also, if you leave the visor on for more than a few minutes, w/o being cooled by the wind, you have a high probability of wrecking it. First they distort the shield and then eventually the circuit can go open.

WHHAAAAT? :dunno: I have had electric sheilds on Snow Force Helmets for years. Always wired direct to the battery and I NEVER disconnect at a trail stop. 1/2 hour cigar later the helmet is nice and toasty (leave sheild down) no fog up and no "wrecking it" or problem with "distortion" - never heard of such a thing... :letsnow:

The Manufacturers used to write the "do not leave plugged in ..." warning on the paperwork that comes with the shield. Several years ago, the dealer pointed it out when I was asking why the thing deformed and no longer worked. That was a CKX model. The warnings are no longer on the paperwork. However, it seems like we do have a rash of "bad shields" lately. So I bring up the warning. If you do not want to head it, that is your option and your risk.

Another thing here, I was at the dealer last week and a guy was bringing in a "Bad Shield." After he left, we put the Ohm Meter to it and it was good. I think a lot of people are expecting to feel the heat, and if they don't, they think the thing is not working. Now if it is fogging up and it is powered, I agree you most likely have a defective shield. The power indicator on the EXO model is also kind of nice. But it only tells you you have power. It does not tell you if the thing is working.

I just fought mine the other day. It wrecked a whole day of riding. It kept blowing fuses on the acc plug. shield tested out fine. Bought a new $100 shield.... SHITLL BLEW FUSES!!! Half way home I thought to change to the new cord. so there I sat like a jackass in the dark trying to find the fuse for the acc. Sled parts all torn off. frozen fingers. WHAT A PAIN!! Funny thing was my old cord had no tears in it at all. weird. This was on a sno force.

You guys may be aware of this, but there is an adapter you can get out of the Yamaha accessories book that will plug right in to your 12v socket. It works sweet. My buddy uses one and it is slick. Avoids having to tap in to any wiring on the sled.

i used my old cell phone car charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter,cut the end of and spliced it on....

couple things...I tried a cell phone acc cord also...found on exit it only produced 5.2 volts!

also...the acc outlet is not ideal....regardless of their plug they sell in the catalog...vibration and moisture will blow fuse's....unless you upgrade the socket and adapter to a locking marine style from Marinco...which seals moisure out...most of the guys who've logged some serious miles (our cousins to the north) will confirm the only way is really to the battery and it is VERY EASY...I bought a rca plug at radio shack and took a run of wire ...added an inline fuse just about at the battery and grounded it to the chassis where the headlight bracket bolts to the delta box...
then took some thin wire loom and cover it and brought it up through the handlebars...
it could be brought to the side of the handlebar pad I suppose...if someone wants to see a pic i could post...

Back