• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Viper ride review.

I'm talking handling and weight ...never said anything about the power...I can't help it you only see blue and you think they are the best thing there is but I will say yamaha is far from perfect and I Am so sick of hearing this #$%&* about the fit and finish all that doesn't mean anything to me I'm not taking it to a sled show I just want to ride it and not have a work out doing it or get stuck and have to call a tow truck to get it out.....I want a nice ride and handling sled and this fits the way I ride maybe its not for you but you don't have to bad mouth it ....if you love your 587lbs yamaha so be it....it's the viper or a mxzx 1200 which I thing the fit and finish is better anyways

Master of Faster said:
I remember when the Nytros debuted, and everyone marveled at how spectacular that chassis was after the demo rides.

That's funny, I remember thinking the 08 Nytro was a death trap. Then rode the 09 and it was "rideable". Bought one and dropped about a grand in it so it was setup how it should have been from the factory.

gmcman2012 said:
I think he is being real the viper out handles any yamaha out to date no question's and guess what you dont have to spend hundreds to make it feel safe to ride.......... just because you don't like it does not mean that ever one will feel the same as you and im sick of the fit and finish bull s*** its a sled. other then some of the hand built proto types that might have a panel gap that is not the same all well do you buy one to look at it or RIDE IT.... and no it does not have more power then a apex that's just a dumb statement.

The only "dumb" statement that was made was that the new Viper is better than a Nytro or Apex in EVERY way. Not my words.

Well...."spend hundreds to make it feel safe to ride" is pretty borderline too.

You can certainly argue that fit and finish is only an aesthetic quality and means nothing, but I can also argue that poor attention to detail on the outside could be a sign of poor attention to detail on the inside where it matters.

Clearly, there are some guys plopping money down on a snowcheck and trying to talk themselves, and everyone else, into it being a good idea. And maybe it is perfect for them. Its not for me, and as the OP I think I have the right to rebut comments made on my own thread. Thanks. ;)!

yox185 said:
Master of Faster said:
I remember when the Nytros debuted, and everyone marveled at how spectacular that chassis was after the demo rides.

That's funny, I remember thinking the 08 Nytro was a death trap. Then rode the 09 and it was "rideable". Bought one and dropped about a grand in it so it was setup how it should have been from the factory.

You have to realize that I meant "everyone" as an overwhelming majority of people giving positive reviews, just like we are seeing now. It was not meant in the literal sense. Of course every single person isn't going to jump on the band wagon.

09nytro said:
I'm talking handling and weight ...never said anything about the power...I can't help it you only see blue and you think they are the best thing there is but I will say yamaha is far from perfect and I Am so sick of hearing this #$%&* about the fit and finish all that doesn't mean anything to me I'm not taking it to a sled show I just want to ride it and not have a work out doing it or get stuck and have to call a tow truck to get it out.....I want a nice ride and handling sled and this fits the way I ride maybe its not for you but you don't have to bad mouth it ....if you love your 587lbs yamaha so be it....it's the viper or a mxzx 1200 which I thing the fit and finish is better anyways

Thats great man, I hope whatever you choose works out great for you and you have the most fun snowmobiling you ever had. I never bashed the new Viper (ok, maybe the gauge pod thing), just gave my take as respectfully as I could. You jumped in the thread like you were defending your sister.

I do love my 587 lb Yamaha. I ride it 200-300 miles a day sometimes, off trail sometimes, get it stuck, get it unstuck, and love every minute. Heck, I even open my own pickle jar at the end of the day sometimes. Crazy, right?

I am curious how you got lucky enough to get a 2 hour test ride on a new Viper? That would have been nice.

Master of Faster said:
The variation of the reviews on this sled so far are really something. There is no way anyone could objectively evaluate the sleds I rode and describe the handling as "perfect" or make statements like zero ski lift and no push in the corners. Unless there are sets of demo sleds out there that are light years ahead of what was in Elmira, it simply isn't true. Maybe the slow speeds that the some of the demo rides limit people to plays a role, as I'm sure riding styles and preferences do.

I think it is important that people hear opinions from both sides and understand that not everyone thinks this chassis is the miracle that some claim it to be, rather than buy based on overzealous reviews only to be disspointed next year by their purchase.

There is only so much that can be done within the confines of typical snowmobile design as it is today. You have two skis on the front that turn, and sometimes they fit into the tracks of other skis. You also have a center of mass that is above the ground. Designers have many "buttons" that they can turn to reduce negative characteristics like ski-lift and darting, but it is all but impossible to completely eliminate these things. To say that this sled is perfect, and doesn't do these things at all, is crazy talk.

The gauge pod is horrible, as is the Nytro's. A digital tach.....ugh

I remember when the Nytros debuted, and everyone marveled at how spectacular that chassis was after the demo rides. It didn't take long into the following winter though for people to start complaining about steering effort, darting, ski-lift, etc. This sled will be the same way. It may be a different set of complaints, but they will be there.

Everyone screamed for something different, and that is what we got, something different. Better for some? Sure. Better at everything? No way. For me, the test ride proved that the grass is not always greener.

The handling of the viper is light years ahead of the nytro. The riding position is light years ahead of the nytro. The weight reduction/distribution of the viper is an unbelievable difference. I'm sure there will be issues with this sled much like the 6 page list I have with both of my nytro's but if you ride them back to back on the same trail, there's no doubt in MY MIND which one I'd rather ride all day. Who are you to discredit someone's opinion of a demo ride? There's only 37 vipers in existence...all hand built, all prototypes, all probably set up completely different. I would suggest if someone is on the fence on buying a viper, they wait until the production models are available for a test ride. I for one don't care...MY OPINION is that if this sled is remotely close to the one I rode last weekend, I'd throw down $12K in a heart beat. Hell, I bought a 98 Srx, an 02 viper and an 06 apex and never got to ride any of them before snow checking them. All first year models.

The handling of the viper is light years ahead of the nytro. The riding position is light years ahead of the nytro. The weight reduction/distribution of the viper is an unbelievable difference. I'm sure there will be issues with this sled much like the 6 page list I have with both of my nytro's but if you ride them back to back on the same trail, there's no doubt in MY MIND which one I'd rather ride all day. Who are you to discredit someone's opinion of a demo ride? There's only 37 vipers in existence...all hand built, all prototypes, all probably set up completely different. I would suggest if someone is on the fence on buying a viper, they wait until the production models are available for a test ride. I for one don't care...MY OPINION is that if this sled is remotely close to the one I rode last weekend, I'd throw down $12K in a heart beat. Hell, I bought a 98 Srx, an 02 viper and an 06 apex and never got to ride any of them before snow checking them. All first year models.[/quote]

Its ok that they do not like it more units for people who do. I will be in the middle of a transfer and cannot risk snow checking. So if I get posted to Ontario hopefully there is a unit at the local dealer. ;)!

Well i have ridden the new viper cat and i was always told if u cant find nothing good to say about somthing then dont say nothing at all...I have also owned 12 diffrent sleds and raced mx for years ..In my opinion yamaha is making a bad rep for them selfs from this and thats about it... This sled is no yamaha as far as im concerned... I will be keeping my apex .. The real qualaty and performance machine that yamaha is... ;)! :yam: :4STroke: :rocks: :sled1:

Back