• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My VK Pro ll Experience

EBC5F0F0-C8DC-4B2E-A84C-9A912581812A.jpeg Good day Yukon M.P. Congrats on the purchase. I wished that I had the option of power steering on the 2016 VK Pro , alas it wasn’t available. Yes, the exhaust mod out the back makes a huge difference. That issue with freezing over on the windshield still occurs with my sled. I drilled two 1/8th diameter holes in dash under the windshield bringing a little heat under the cowl to the windshield that seems to work. They are noisy compared to the Ace 900’s or 600 Aces. Most hunters here use the Expeditions. I like the Renegades and if I move forward on another sled will try one. The VK is a brute to drive, dependable and warm. For cold starts I take a power peak jumper. It fits under the seat and stays warm. I bought it at NAPA. I like my VK. It has more upside than downsides. It is NOT a skidoo. It handles differently albeit not as adroitly as a skidoo especially the Rev XU platforms.

Attachments

• 2BE6F983-D317-4CB6-B06F-455492FD2D2B.jpeg
    2BE6F983-D317-4CB6-B06F-455492FD2D2B.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 276

Thanks for the contribution to the thread, I think it will help others make the best decision for them. I have a couple specific questions around starting for you. What is the cutoff for starting with no problems or other action? What is the coldest you have managed with the jump pack? Do you have a coolant heater and what difference does it make?

When I was out in the -40C mine cranked well but would not fire. One fellow in particular was convinced the was something in the ecu just plain stopping it. If that is the case the likely practical decision is to just warm up the particular sensor(?).

I agree the VK Pro does not merit an unequivocal recommendation but I have to say if you are towing heavy loads it is the way to go. We pulled 5 loads down the lake yesterday and it was touch and go in the slush/overflow a couple times for the SWT with the heaviest load but I know the VK would have sorted things out. That said, when we got to the cabin the SWT made two passes in to set it up for the rest of us.

Last edited:
0973B44D-32D5-41CF-961F-506D2648F6F1.jpeg 33DEAA11-54CE-4746-9EB8-F2DF949EA8BC.jpeg Yukon MP, further to my earlier email. This weekend broke trail about 45kms outside Iqaluit. Got a couple of Arctic Hare and Ptarmigans. The VK depending on wind direction sometimes throws considerable snow (especially in powder) on you and over the dash as well as on the running boards. Usually we don’t have powder snow so it’s not an issue. Let me know if you also experience this. I at first thought it was from the skis or somewhere else’s but I had my buddy follow behind me and he said it seemed to be blown in on me. The gas smell issue does not occur if I only fill the sled to 3/4’s of a tank. Shifting to reverse is problematic. It really is a pain. Have to just give it a little gas to engage. Heavy sled, ensure you always have that tow rope handy! When I go hunting on my own I take my 55o fan cooled Rev Xperia’s as I can throw it around, not worried about the weight, it always starts.
Thanks for the contribution to the thread, I think it will help others make the best decision for them. I have a couple specific questions around starting for you. What is the cutoff for starting with no problems or other action? What is the coldest you have managed with the jump pack? Do you have a coolant heater and what difference does it make?

When I was out in the -40C mine cranked well but would not fire. One fellow in particular was convinced the was something in the ecu just plain stopping it. If that is the case the likely practical decision is to just warm up the particular sensor(?).

I agree the VK Pro does not merit an unequivocal recommendation but I have to say if you are towing heavy loads it is the way to go. We pulled 5 loads down the lake yesterday and it was touch and go in the slush/overflow a couple times but I know the VK would have sorted things out. That said, when we got to the cabin the SWT made two passes in to set it up for the rest of us.

Yes, I have had the sled out overnight at -38 without windchill. The power pack I kept in cabin and then started the sled and turned it over one click. Any temps under -25 don’t need it. Below -25 can be sketchy it seems for the sled. When I store it in my cold weather shed when not in use I have a battery maintainer on a timer for three hours a day. That keeps battery charged up. The engines are noisy. A rattle seemingly from the clutch assembly is always evident from day one.

We are experiencing as much powder and loose snow as we ever get and I would say, if anything, my running boards are more clear of snow. That said, I'm almost always in the back half of the line. I did notice a little snow on my dash and on the seat between my legs than the Scandic but I think the Scandic is gustier behind the windshield so it gets blown out.

I've only been towed once, up an icy hill. I would do well to put a couple dozen screws in the track, that is all it would take and is a good precaution for when we are towing on frozen overflowing creeks that set up side slopes on the trail. Otherwise I'm the one that pulls or anchors the rope come-along.

I know on my buddies fuel injected Venture(same motor) it would not start bellow -30C unless he used a boost pack. I have seen him start it to just below -40C with the boost pack but he needed to leave the boost pack connected for about 5 minutes after starting or it would stall and not restart.

This is great discourse. Thanks everyone for contributing and I really like how the thread has taken off. I find the windshield discussion pretty interesting and it's raising a few points I hadn't thought of. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm getting some driving experience on a 2016 Expedition LE wide track, and it has the 'super high' windshield offered that year. We have some pretty high winds where I'm living north of the treeline, and I 've made a few short trips in 70k plus with the Expedition, and I've done a lot more with considerably higher winds with my VK540. I have found the VK 540 windshield (mine is a 2017) to be hands down superior from my experience, offering much better rider protection. I usually bring goggles with me in the wind, but on the VK they stay on my hat most of the time even in the worst weather. The Expedition seems to blow snow right in my face, and I have to bend down like I'm riding a crotch rocket to get the same coverage, which I'm sure is very entertaining to anyone watching. Pros of the expedition windshield is the coating, which seems to accumulate much less frost, especially overnight.

The VK PRO windshield looks nice and high like the VK 540, and chateaupitsie I see you have extended yours. I like the looks of that, and where you have no trees to buck the wind like myself I would guess that this was a very helpful mod. I'm surprised to hear that some of you are experiencing a lot of blow back behind the windshield, but wind does funny things and chateaupitsie you would know wind better than most with your area and the amount of time you have on the VK PRO. Do you have quite a few miles on your genesis engine?

From the point of view of someone reading this thread who is trying to decide between a skidoo branded 4 stroke utility or the VK PRO, the VK pro still seems to win out for me by a nose. Part of that is because I already have the 540, which is about the same weight as a 550f scandic wt. The extra wide ski's of the 540 with a nice curl on the back have it outperforming a lot of other machines in deep snow, especially backing up, even without an articulating track. It's hard to get that machine stuck, and it would be a nice backup to run in tandem with the VK PRO. This gives me more confidence, hopefully not misplaced confidence, in getting a heavier machine like the PRO. The other big plus is, again, the actual hood that opens. Any field maintenance that needs doing would be so much easier in my opinion from this feature alone. After riding the VK for 3+ years I don't think I can go back to a standard multi-piece hood. The less finger work I have to do in the cold the better.

The PRO seems to be, at least to me as a non-owner, about as reliable as any 4 stroke utility on the market and better than most. It is almost surely harder to start from the looks of things, but can be mitigated by the right preps such as the booster pack mentioned. There are people here where I live that frequently do extended trips with the 600 and 900 ace. One experienced gentleman in particular has his 600 ace machine set up with a block heater and he brings a 2kw honda generator with him into his tent/cabin whenever he goes out for more than a night. The amperage draw for a battery blanket, battery maintainer and coolant heater seem low enough that the 13 amp breaker on a 2kw genny should be able to run them without issue, at least based on my google research done from the comfort of my couch. Definitely a lot of extra effort and weight, but to me it seems that it's possible to work around the cons and still enjoy the pros.

Looking forward to any more discussion.

Attachments

• IMG_5627.jpg
    IMG_5627.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 237
Bill, thank you. I've had quite a lot of experience/that is miles....... on several different sleds over the years. This (THE VK PRO) is my first four stroke. All four strokes are heavy. But they are also "MORE" sled! The VK is a warm sled compared to the other 4 strokes like the Expedition 900 and 600 ACES. The body and high windshield provides more protection from the wind. The VK is a UTILITY Sled., not a Touring or a "cross-over." That I guess means it gives up some comfort driving. It does not have the "Ride forward" like skidoos. It however is comfortable and the extra padded seat with the ample warm storage is well worth it. Cold Starting. Hmmm...., I have a block heater and a battery blanket on mine. If it is going to drop below -30 I plug the sled in and on a timer for 3 hours every day when parked in the sled shack at home. The draw on electricity is not much. It always starts. When I head down to the cabin and it is below -25 and I'm overnighting , I always take my power pack booster. I've only had to use it at -35 a couple of times overnighting. It fits under the seat and I wouldn't leave home without it. Some of the other MODS I have done. I rerouted the exhaust to come out on the sides of the seat. That keeps the ice out of the tunnel building up. I have put my own extensions on the windshield. Almost everyone here does that. I use the extra wide ski skins. They look goofy but add to the stability and are useful in deep snow or across slush in the spring time. I added a marginal snow wheel kit (extra 2 bogie wheels). It is a workout to steer/heavy. But the newer Power Steering on the sleds like YUKON MP has seems alot better. It is a good sled. No question. Is it the best Utility Sled on the market, probably not. For fit and finish I think it is number one. The ability to lift up your hood and not F&^%$ with those stupid side panels is ......priceless!!

Attachments

• IMG_0217 (1).JPG
    IMG_0217 (1).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0214 (2).JPG
    IMG_0214 (2).JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0213 (1).JPG
    IMG_0213 (1).JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 225
Absolutely right Bill, with a 2kW genset you are golden. Glad you have found all of this useful and I appreciate everyone who has contributed. We have kept the comparison factual, unbiased and experience based. I have already committed to some studs, skins, and another set of weights.

The engines are noisy. A rattle seemingly from the clutch assembly is always evident from day one.

This is very common for all Yamaha 4 strokes and more so with the 3 cyl. There is play in the clutch's stub shaft that is present in all of them. Some more than others. You can rock your primary clutch back and forth to see this play. Although my son's Nytro's noise isn't too bad, the noise is there. My RS Venture GT sounds like a diesel. Both use the same engine. Quite possible that the issues I have with mine (blown head gasket and low compression) are exacerbating it.

There are quiet clutch kits available that can help quieten the noise but some have had mixed results. There are also comfort clutch kits available to lower the clutch engagement speed to avoid the grabbyness of it when it engages at higher RPM.

Thanks Mooseman. The snow must be all gone now in Greely. We were looking at a few places in Greely last spring.., like the neighbourhood!! Yes the clutch and the assembly rattles for sure. The steering with the extra wide ski skins I have on is certainly a workout to drive. We have at least another 6 weeks of driving here yet. Next big thing is the spring seal hunt and the Geese should be flying up! In the soft wet snow the VK can be a tad too heavy but havent had too much of an issue thus far.

I'll chime in here. I have a 2011 VK Pro carb version and older body style, but not that different from the newer ones. We also have a 900ACE WT and sport. I'm up the in the Canadian sub arctic just below the arctic circle, in the trees not the tundra. All my riding is rough, no trails other than the winter road and everything is with a sleigh behind you. Hunting or wood hauling in spring slush, early winter bush (light snow) and full winter freezing or deep no base snow.

I love the VK Pro for hauling, nothing beats it except maybe an SWT but no one has one here. I've pulled wood loads in deep snow up hills that would stop any other sled. The 3cly yamaha engine is amazing and so is the toughness of the machine. Mine is no longer as nice as it was but its still pretty decent. I've broken down trees and crashed through bush that would leave other machines looking like wreaks. The a-arms are tough as nails. I can't say enough about the power and the toughness of these machines. Crossing water, this thing is stable. Many other machines will bull to one side or feel unbalanced when water crossing, the vk is among the best. Storage, I like the under seat heated storage and the rear rack is good enough too. My 550f has the best rack space. You make use of what you got its all a puzzle. Wear and tear, seems like I don't have to do much here. sliders have been good, track has held up great and skis have been good too - i have skins which is a must.

Now the negative. First, starts like #*$&@ in the cold. 900Ace starts in 40 below no problem at all. I have a coolant heater and it works great but if you are in the bush and the engine is cold and frosty, forget it. I've blown 2 starters, which is negative number 2, replacing starters sucks. Heavy machine but take that with a grain of salt because the 900ace widetrack is no different, the balance is difference but thats it. I also have a 550f skandic and that thing is light in comparison to the vk or exped. Fuel consumption is more than a 900ace but less than a 550f. Fuel smell happens in warmer conditions when the tank gets hot from the engine heat, in the cold I don't notice it. The machine is warmer than the exped but colder than the 550f.

I love my 550f and my vk for different reasons.

I'll chime in here. I have a 2011 VK Pro carb version and older body style, but not that different from the newer ones. We also have a 900ACE WT and sport. I'm up the in the Canadian sub arctic just below the arctic circle, in the trees not the tundra. All my riding is rough, no trails other than the winter road and everything is with a sleigh behind you. Hunting or wood hauling in spring slush, early winter bush (light snow) and full winter freezing or deep no base snow.

I love the VK Pro for hauling, nothing beats it except maybe an SWT but no one has one here. I've pulled wood loads in deep snow up hills that would stop any other sled. The 3cly yamaha engine is amazing and so is the toughness of the machine. Mine is no longer as nice as it was but its still pretty decent. I've broken down trees and crashed through bush that would leave other machines looking like wreaks. The a-arms are tough as nails. I can't say enough about the power and the toughness of these machines. Crossing water, this thing is stable. Many other machines will bull to one side or feel unbalanced when water crossing, the vk is among the best. Storage, I like the under seat heated storage and the rear rack is good enough too. My 550f has the best rack space. You make use of what you got its all a puzzle. Wear and tear, seems like I don't have to do much here. sliders have been good, track has held up great and skis have been good too - i have skins which is a must.

Now the negative. First, starts like #*$&@ in the cold. 900Ace starts in 40 below no problem at all. I have a coolant heater and it works great but if you are in the bush and the engine is cold and frosty, forget it. I've blown 2 starters, which is negative number 2, replacing starters sucks. Heavy machine but take that with a grain of salt because the 900ace widetrack is no different, the balance is difference but thats it. I also have a 550f skandic and that thing is light in comparison to the vk or exped. Fuel consumption is more than a 900ace but less than a 550f. Fuel smell happens in warmer conditions when the tank gets hot from the engine heat, in the cold I don't notice it. The machine is warmer than the exped but colder than the 550f.

I love my 550f and my vk for different reasons.
Dix, thank you. I just finished putting a new set of dual Dooley Carbides on the VK . She was diving and darting last season. Will have a chance to try them by usually December 15th., but 2020 is such a weird and strange year... we will wait and see. I also have a 550 fan cooled. It is a REV XP platform. Fun sled, pulls great, always starts shitty on gas mileage .... a 2011 Grand Touring model.

I'll probably do this in a few posts but this is a start. Want to get this out to help out anyone considering a Spring Order. I picked up my 2020 VK Pro two months ago and have just over 2500 kms on it now. I really like the sled and am happy with my decision to get one. Because my old ride was an MP and because I hunt with skidoos there will be some comparisons but I'll start with my likes/dislikes. The likes first.

I like the heated underseat storage. We had three days of -40C on the last bison hunt and I had warm water and snacks at the end off the day. I like the exhaust turnouts(accessory/option). With them tunnel icing is minimal, again even on consecutive 90kms days off trail at -40C. The windshield/cowl configuration is awesome, more comprehensive than the Scandics or Expeditions. The seat is very comfortable and the envy off the skidoo boys. Of course the thing is a brute with 50% more HP than the 900Ace. But to tell the truth it isn't often used. One of the Scandics had to give up his skimmer and I came out pulling three but one was mostly empty gas cans. I like the seating position, front and back. Handwarmers are great and lights marginal. Power steering is awesome. It is so well done you don't even notice it except the steering is easy and quiet. I like the track and the 1.5 inch lug height. Mileage is better than I expected, 19l/100km. Looked like the 900s were using a little less.

Now for the dislikes. Would not start below -30C, just as the dealer told me. I had the coolant heater installed but haven't been able to judge its effectiveness because when it was cold at home I kept my new, not yet broken in baby in the shop. Then in the bush there was no power. In contrast the 900Aces always went, even the ones on 5 year old batteries. I really prefer the much maligned iTC throttle in this application. We do a lot of slow speed riding, basically at a walk sometimes. The VK throttle/power/gearing make it a bit to handle at slow speeds. The transmission is very noisy in low and shifting is difficult. Often I have to screw around to get it to shift and sometimes it is just quicker to shut it off. No such issues for the skidoos. I don't like the sight glass on the chaincase. The little plug you have to remove is stiff as heck in the cold and hard to remove or replace. Others have mentioned the frosting of the windshield, I had some but not bad.

More likes. The tub/hood is great. I wanted to get away from the plastic origami mess sleds have now a days and really enjoy the ease, space, and visibility it has. Skidoo boys have patience I don't have trying to remove and replace their panels. Just remembered, the clutches run COOL, I mean real cool, innner barely warm from engine.Even after a 64 km run pulling 3 skimmers they were cool. Cool, but obnoxiously noisy. I really like the handling of the sled in all conditions with the exception of the jerkiness when trying to creep/crawl. When the SWT were around they broke trail and I couldn't touch them. I did put one day in breaking trail with an expedition and we ended up with me in front, primarily because of side slope and I have a left hand throttle which the iTC doesn't accommodate. Really like having a Japan built Yamaha. The 900Ace guys start getting nervous and sell at 8000km. My MP has 15k km and that sled is not halfway done.

I will add to this as things occur to me or new stuff comes up. I'll do my best to answer your questions and welcome your suggestions.

Thx for that for sure ,Imm runnin a 2018 , similar experience . put 11 in skins on , swapped out the 8LP skiis for the older style so the yam skins would fit. That clutch shaft rattle at idle is annoying at very low speed for sure, but as for ride, its relatively unstoppable in the bush , ive picked through blow down crawled over logs , wiggled through dense bush , the shifting isnt as near as precise or easy as my ol 98 vk , but ill trade that for the long idling time and slow manoeuvring without plug fouling . Havent experienced the cold no start , but im not north enough here in white lake to have that often. Its overall a very capable unit , and I agree with u the J at the beginning of the serial number is a confidence added feature.

Back