• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need a new track

Hannibal802

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro
I need to replace the track on the sled I just picked up this spring. The sled will be on groomed trails most of the time, but would be used occasionally on trails with 3-5 inches of fresh snow on top but a groomed base underneath and rarely in deep snow but theres still the possibility for that to link to a trail. I would like to stud the track preferably with double backer studs as well.

What tracks do you all recommend for this sled?

I ride similar conditions and have found a 1.25 Ripsaw with 144 studs to be a great long lasting choice on several two strokes, 2 Apex’s, 2 vectors and only sled with pull through had over 10,000 miles on that track & sled when replaced. (Close to 50,000 miles on all those sleds total). It is not a ‘deep snow ‘ track but good in loose or packed snow. They are readily available as often replaced on stock sleds for guys who set up for the deep of the mountains. I always wonder in MN when I see the deep lug tracks how often they are really in the deep? Of course the can ? Why a guy leading a bunch of neighbors and some kids to a restaurant needs a ‘Hyperperformance’ Apex to go 25 -35 mph down the trail. LOL at myself.
The ripsaw gets ripped by many because they have to justify the $ for the new track. I know I did when I did that once then realized for what I do, the 1.25 Ripsaw works well.

The Camoplast 1.6" with small traction studs embedded in lug ends has been a perfect solution for all groomed trail and occasional (25-40%) off trail powder use. I found the 1.25" never allowed me to break trail on those 4' perfect powder trails. I notice zero deficit on groomed trails, hooks up like a 1.25" IMO.

This fall I am replacing my stock track with a Camso Hurricane 175 2PLY track.With iGRIP SS28R racing studs. The Tracks for less web site has great pricing,and shade tree has bulk pricing on the iGRIP studs.BeSafe

If primarily a groomed trail rider then I'd stick to the 1.25 Ripsaw tracks. I Know I have a like new non studded ripsaw 2 track in stock with very low miles.

any pre studded 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" track will do what you are riding. in your case i would go with the 1-3/8" pre studded as a good all around track.

i personally do not run studs as my local conditions are not bad enough for me to need them. i have run an ice ripper and really did not notice a difference in local conditions. i run the stocker until it needs replacing (last one made almost 15000 mi) and i run off trail in deep snow as well and trail run all my sleds.

I think I also want to do the skid relocate kit, possibly also do a 4" rail extension to make it from 128 (with the skid relocate) to a 136 since I already have a 136 track I was planning to put on my Shift 136, but I think I'll milk the track currently on that for a few more miles.

I've tried contacting Star Suspensions (I assume they are the ones who sell the skid relocate), anybody know best way to get in touch. I've tried emailing twice, haven't heard anything back. I don't see a link to buy the skid relocate on their website.

When I ordered their relocation kit years back, I called John. I also had them revalve all of the shocks, add a Ski Doo rear spring, add a reinforcement tube to the rear shock; per John's recommendation. Here's the contact info I have from an email from him. Although it was back in 2015, it's also the same number listed on their website.

Robert Véronneau
Star Suspensions
1254 chemin de Compton
Coaticook QC J1A 2S5
(819) 849-7858

Yeah called them they immediately answered. He said they don't check their emails anymore. But they are still doing the skid relocate stuff, so future reference to anybody who finds this.

For completing a 136 tunnel extension, you just have to drill the rivets out for the rear tunnel piece that hols the flap on right? Thats what it looks like to me, I just want to be sure that its actually a separate piece and just riveted on before I decide to do a 136 tunnel extension kit.

Back