• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Help! Engine cut out mid ride!

Well the engine is out of the sled now, got a chance to take a peak at the damage on the top end.
All 6 Exhaust valves bent
Exhaust Cam Shaft bent
Timing Chain scored
Pistons have minor scoring from impact with valves
Crankshaft Gear has all teeth sheared off, cranksahft needs to be replaced (dont even know where all the metal shards went from the gear, didnt get a chance to look at the bottom end of hte engine)

So I guess on the bright side, it could have been worse, Im lucky I didnt break off a valve. The cylinders dont have any visible damage, and the head looks ok.

Just waiting now to hear back from yamaha on whats going to happen and what it might cost to fix it.

Brian

Well, my riding season is over. Yamaha has said no to fixing the engine for the sole reason that it is out of warranty. I hope you guys are all riding with the Y.E.S ext warranty. Engine failed at 5100KM after 1 1/2 seasons.
Will be parting out the sled when I get it back, so keep an eye on the sale section.
Im done with Yamaha, will be riding a Ski-doo or Polaris next season. Hope you guys dont run into the same luck I have.

Brian

Just got off the phone with Force One (Dealership in Yellowknife) and Yamaha has now decided to give me a new engine! I have to give a BIG THANK YOU! to Dave in Stores over there. He did all the leg work! Even after Yamaha originally said no, he still fought to get my new engine covered! I also have to thank Yamaha Motors, I really appreciate you guys coming through for me. Ill post an update when everything get into town and installed

Brian

Like I said before, it pays to have a good relationship with the dealer. It never hurts to take the Service Manager to lunch once and while.

Awesome to hear about your sled Brian. So Nate and I think you should ride before and after work when you get the new motor back so that you can break it in before the following weekend LOL

Actually I want the 3 of us to ride to Fort Providence from Rae. Hopefully you get it up and running soon, still looks like another month of winter left, I think we'll be riding into May if we trailer onto Slave.

Back