• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need ski advice!

Which Option!?!?

• Simmons Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slydog Trail

• Pilots

• Total voters
I have done LOTS of reading on skis for the Nytro XTX. I have narrowed it down to Simmons GEN 1, Pilots, & Slydog Trail Skis. Which would suit the XTX best? I do mostly aggressive trail riding with some off trail. The stock skis follow tracks and steering is super heavy.

Thanks
:yam: :4STroke:

ya

have simmons, love em. way better than stock and they float very nicely in powder.(my vote is already cast above)
just don't do 6"cutting carbides everywhere...it steers well and doesnt dart, but the steerings a tad heavy. I'm going to keep 6" on outside of each ski, and put 4" round on inside. seems to be the consensus on here.

I've used my simmons for ~300 miles and love them. They tend to steer very hard at medium- slow speeds but they keep the front end under control for sure. They seem to float well even though the snow is disappearing...

I got them used and although not sure how much, they have a lot of carbide under them so i'm gonna cut back a little when its time to replace. That should ease steering effort a little.

UPDATE:
I just went out and checked and i have 16" on each ski. I bet when new these skis wouldn't cross a paved road under a nytro!! LOL Well i guess they steer pretty good considering. Are these runner simmons specific?

If you opt for Slydogs, don't get the Trail version, get the Race version for only $20 or $30 more. They have the same dimensions, but have a thicker deck, thus more durable. Imo, the trails are too thin of a ski.

i know they are not on your top three but i have Mod ski's on my xtx. amazing how well they work; like driving a different sled.

The pilots are probilly going to steer the easist,but going to give up a little in the powder. For the small amount of time I spend in powder I will take the easy steering. I really like the handling of the pilots. They're easy on the wallet too at $162 shipped to my house per pair.

I said pilots and I mean the 6.9s.

I'm not speaking from experience though. I have them on mine but I have not gotten to use them yet as there is no snow. I just voted because I have these skis and even if they suck I'll probably say they are great to avoid some kind of buyers remorse and what not.

To admit I didn't like them would be to admit I wasted my money to buy them and use them over my perfectly set up stock skis with bergstrums triple points & ski savers with shimming of my own. But again, since <insert deity> decided not to give me any snow I can't test my new mods.

for trail use...simmons...if I wasnt on simmons...id be on 6.9 pilots...if AI ran a slydog ski...it would be powderhounds with ski savers and shaper bars all the way..

If you go Slydog, get the race ones. They are the same ski as the trail but, they are thicker and more rugged. I haven't seen it but, some say the trail ones are a bit flimsy.

BUT, as for the skis, I love the Slydogs. They have transformed my RTX into something I will keep now. I was contemplating getting rid of it.

Slydog Race
Bergstrom triple points ( 8" )
Bergstrom Ski Savers
144 picks down the middle

Only problem I have now is inside ski left once in a while but, thats not the skis.

PS: if you go this route, Scott will recommend the 3/8" ski savers to help with ease of steering. With this setup, steering is easy and goes where I point it. Fox Floats with 55 psi.

I am extremely happy with my 6.9 pilots. Way easier steering than stock skis. But I also have the Hygear tripple rate springs on.

The skis float great in the deep fluff. Verly little push. There is some darting at low speeds and certain snow condition but no worst than other sleds in our group.

As per my signature - Slydogs.

I haven't compared them to anything but stock and like them lots - hated the stock ski. Several reviews on the Slydogs if you want to search - I haven't seen much bad press on them at all, other than some darting in crusty conditions. My main reason for switching was to improve the flotation but I am more impressed with the ease at which they steer.

Back