• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need your professoinal opinions

WHat should i do about my skid?

• swap it out and put a cat skid in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • swap it out and put a doo skid in

• swap it out and put a polaris skid in

• fix my pro active skid

• Total voters

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
I have a 2k5 vector er with a blown rear shock and a broken w arm. My sled is no longer under warranty and the money that i need to spend to fix it is going to be quite a bit. Im thinking of doin a skid swap because the price will be less and i wont have ot worry about w arms anymore. I need your opinion.

W arm pics

Attachments

• 2005 023.jpg
    2005 023.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 2005 024.jpg
    2005 024.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 2005 025.jpg
    2005 025.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 84
I think your the first person on here with a Pro-Active suspension with a broken w-arm.

IMO these skids ride fairly well (with good shocks) and are quite durable. I would fix it.

How did you break it? Did it fatigue over lots of miles?

edit - I think I see how it broke...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=188650&highlight=#188650

I would still repair it, but you might want to do what I did with my 05 RX-1 and bring the w-arm to a structural welding shop and get it beefed up considerably. Bring along the air pictures and emphasise you want it strong.

What happened to the shock? Maybe you should also install the stiffest suspension springs along with a new/rebuilt shock (revalve it for more high speed compression damping also). If you replace the shock I'd go with a Nitro shock.

i broke it trail riding actually. hit a bump really hard.

If you're going to replace it ExpertX, *NOT* M10. M10 is for old guys who go for rides with their wifes of 50 years. ExpertX will actually do the pounding thing well.

About the price though... if you're VERY LUCKY, you might get a USED one for $1000. Thats definitely NOT cheaper.

If you dont have the facilities or mechanical skills to repair that w-arm then you will definatly have problems installing another brands skid. W arms are very common to break lots of people on here have reinforced them some even right from new. Many aftermarket companys make replacement W arms as well you may also want to look into that as well. I doubt replacement of the skid is the cheapest option.

i meant cheaper because i have to replace my rear shock also. I have the mechanical skills i jus think that if i weld it back together even with reinforment i think it will still break but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

I had an expert on my 03 and did not like it. I was never able to get the sled to handle well as well as ride well. It was one or the other.

I like my 05 monoshock. I think at this point I would try Benders monoshock upgrade kit.

Get the X and smile all day long. Like any skid, you have to know what your doing in setting it up or you will not be happy.

Cat skid. Easier to install than repairing the W arm, stronger, great ride and handling, and a no-brainer to adjust/tune. 30 seconds trailside and you can adjust for changing conditions or riding style.

Jim

Back