• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Never shop for groceries on empty stomach

IMHO 6#'s of boost is a lot to ask of the stock fuel system. I'll admit I don't know the inner workings of your kits, but adding 60hp to a stock fuel system (fuel pump & injectors) has got to be real close to maxing it out.

DooZ said:
IMHO 6#'s of boost is a lot to ask of the stock fuel system. I'll admit I don't know the inner workings of your kits, but adding 60hp to a stock fuel system (fuel pump & injectors) has got to be real close to maxing it out.
stock pump should be alright to around 10# but you will need more injectors for more then 6#..

JP270NYTRO said:
DooZ said:
stock pump should be alright to around 10# but you will need more injectors for more then 6#..

exactly, but i believe both mpi and mcx use stock injectors with the 190 kits.

Yes we do, 6 pounds is around max. I run 5.5-6. But I also run mine rich as hell! Steve got is newly rebuilt one going and I'll let him tell you guys how it is!

Another thing to think about is my MCX kit on my 12 Apex will build more boost on a cold day as I would think any Turbo would. So if you are on the edge with 6# a cold day could get you in trouble?

Ya, I have my gauge, and I'm pretty much at 5.5 and 6 everyonce in awhile, and when I'm running good rpm like 8800 or so. And right now I'm only getting 8600 rpm. So hopefully I'm safe!

Well after my RANT the other night when I started this post I went to bed! I got up and went to another Yammi dealer to try to get a reverse actuator but there is none available, so still P.Oed I drove about an hour north in the remnants of the blizzard of the night before and met up with a friend. I drug the sled off the trailer (no reverse). We took off in 6 to 7 ft of drifted white gold.

Brand new motor I stopped and put 92 octane non ethenol it. we were busting drifts in the ditches some had over 10' in them. I still am running 6#'s cause the new fuel pump is not here yet. for the first couple of miles there were some fields that were blown almost clear and I could open it up a bit. There was several skips as I ran up throught the rpms but at constant throttle it was smooth. By 8 to 10 miles that cleared up. I started to hit the throttle anytime I could see far enough ahead. The first time I cracked it It stood straight up on its tail in only about a ft of snow. It did this again and again everytime I hit it even at 40 + mph it would go almost vertical.

In all fairness I don't know why, if it is the low compression pistons, the new waste gate or the original motor was broke from day 1 but this thing feels like there is 50 more hp than there was before at the same amount of boost. I never saw AFR #'s over 11 at WOT even with controller set the way it was originally.

Then I got it stuck bad in a ditch over the windshield and the seat was burried. I was wrestling with and tamping the snow down in the front when a guy pulled up on a polaris 500 and asked if I needed help and I said yes thanks. He said step back. He got on it and fired it up and before I could say wait he pinned it and rocked it, it bit stood straight up and he rode up the 15' high embankment on the track only in a trench of snow chest deep. He cleared the blow bank and landed on the road. He looked back at me with eyes the size of grapefruit and said what the HE## is in this thing. He asked if he could do a loop of the field next to us and I said yes. He took off and did a large loop in a 10 acre field the skis never touched the ground untill he laid it over and did a 180 deg turn on its side with a rooster 30' out the back he rolled out of the turn and brought the skis up and carved back to me across the field. My buddy came back looking for me and thought is was me in the field. The 3 of us went back to the lounge where my truck was parked and went inside.

Turns out the guy rides 2 weeks a month out west, has a 2014 Pol ProR mtn with turbo and rides with Chris Burandt. He said his Pol is 190hp and spools quicker but does not pull like mine. Even with only the 1.6" track he would not be afraid to take it out there except for the steep stuff or a new dump of really loose powder it would be just fine.

Now I got to learn to ride it like that.

Thats cool! Those guys got skills. Once saw a guy do a 180deg turn in place just jumping up and down on his sled and turning in the air. Just like you see those trials guys do. Takes a big guy to do that!

I don't want to sound like a dink and maybe its not my place, BUT isnt that a newly rebuilt motor that you are thrashing on. I know the amount of $$$ invested and would hate to see any more problems. Just my $.02

Motors these days are built with components made of better materials than they were 20 years ago. We've had this discussion a number of times over the years about break-in, and there's opinions either way. I'm sure all the guys who ride them like they stole them from the day they were new (me included for the most part) will tell you that the ones that were ridden harder since new seem to be faster and have a little more power. Now that could be just an incredible cooincedince, but it's been posted too many times to ignore.
I don't think the way that sled was ridden out of the deep stuff would be hard on it, especially if it was built with better parts than oem.

Now...
The one thing that struck me as odd while reading though the original post (however painful), and maybe I'm missing something here, but if there was a problem with the sled dropping cylinders, I dont think I read anywhere in there that you tore into it far enough to actually find out why you were having the problem with it dropping cylinders and losing oil?? Seemed as if you just kept trying to ride it if something was wrong, and sometimes it was fine, and others you limped it home, or just dealt with it doing something it shouldn't??
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't sound like something that I would be doing if my boosted sled were giving me fits? It almost seems like it could have been prevented if the cause of the issues were diagnosed and solved instead of continuing to push it? I know there's only so much winter, and you may have been farther away from camp that you would have liked to have walked, or be towed, but geez... It kinda sounds like you might have just beat it to death? Lol

I was riding with him during all these problems, except the last one where he had to use a come a long to get it in the trailer. And agree, and so does he. He should of brought it in right away.
But he didn't. And he paid for it. Lol...they never said anything about why it was doing that, dropping cylinders or the gauge or the thumb warmer. Don't know if they fixed that. But I don't think they did.

When I broke mine in I was kind of hard on it, but never at WOT for long, but anything under that I did. Break it in like your going to drive it is how I do it. And never had a problem. Mine is just a simple problem. I never ran mine over 11.2 at WOT. Most of the time it's at 10.6 at WOT. I was thinking the same thing...just got it back and already beating the crap out of it. But it was put back together with better parts and it should hold together just fine!! I hope for his sake! :die

Back