• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New '07 Attak Won't Start-it's not the relay....too cold???

Another Phase said:
Does the fuel pump put any amount of fuel into the cylinders when the key is turned on and the pump is pressurising the system? I was told not to turn the key off and then back on when repeatedly trying to start these as it would flood it.

I assumed it would only spray fuel when cranking, not when the key was turned on. Maybe there is some sort of initial purge to richen things up for starting.

Thanks for the replies!
I don't see any fuel being sprayed in when I turn the key. But that's how I was doing it - turning the key all the way off then back on. Also, the first try on the second morning was with the throttle wide open.

I just changed the oil after the first hour of run time. This is probably the third time I flooded it in the last 3 days. I'm also not very happy with all the cranks I did on this sled on a new motor with possibly nothing lubing the cylinders - maybe I will change the oil.

Ok, So I just swapped out the CR9EBs spark plugs that came stock in my new 07 Attak and put it the CR9EKs - started right up, idled puuuurrrrfectly.....

I guess I expected that now that the sled is warm and has new plugs in it, but I'm still worried about cold weather starting. Would the EB vs EKs make a difference?

I'm going to installing the yamaha coolant heater and possibly buying an electric resistive heat pack to epozy to the oil tank, and wiring both in to the same plug-in.

Also wondering if the cold weather fuel map is set too rich to cause teh plugs to foul everytime.

I WISH they would have given us a more informative display! It needs an oil/coolant temperature reading like I need oxygen for crying out loud. I noticed that the motor does have an air temp sensor, they just don't send it to the display - ?

Anybody know where to get more info displayed? I might as well throw in the sensor since I'll be in the coolant hose anyway...

Keep in mind the in-line coolant heater doesn't circulate, but if it's plugged in long enough it will help. I've got an extra oil pan heater I was going to put on my Attak but haven't got around to it yet. Give us some results if you try it.

Where in AK are you? I'm in Fairbanks.

bashley said:
Keep in mind the in-line coolant heater doesn't circulate, but if it's plugged in long enough it will help. I've got an extra oil pan heater I was going to put on my Attak but haven't got around to it yet. Give us some results if you try it.

Where in AK are you? I'm in Fairbanks.

Glenallen/Lake Louise

Tal,
Ever do any riding around Summit or Denali Hwy.? I was thinking of heading down this weekend but can't find anyone willing to ride flat-land. Everyone wants to go straight up the mountain and the 'ol Attak just ain't suited for that.

bashley said:
Tal,
Ever do any riding around Summit or Denali Hwy.? I was thinking of heading down this weekend but can't find anyone willing to ride flat-land. Everyone wants to go straight up the mountain and the 'ol Attak just ain't suited for that.

No, not yet. A buddy just got back from Cantwell and that side of the Denali Hwy. He said it was great, the hwy is flat and the the trails were good. Lots of Caribou around.

I'm thinking about Eureka this weekend. Eureka to Lake Louise trail is groomed in. Imagine that - a groomed trail in Alaska - what is this place coming too?! :jump:

Hard starting and rough engine idling can be a symptom of a bad TPS sensor as wel.

I'm sure you know this all already, but for anyone else that doesn't know it might help. I know someone posted it above, but if you have turned over your sled numerous times without it starting, you may have fuel in your oil. Each time you turn it over you are shooting fuel into the cylinders. An easy check would be to smell the oil hole to see if it smells like fuel. If it does you might want to change it. I have also heard that there is a small chance you can have an engine fire with too much gas in the oil.

Joe

Northern Sledder said:
I'm sure you know this all already, but for anyone else that doesn't know it might help. I know someone posted it above, but if you have turned over your sled numerous times without it starting, you may have fuel in your oil. Each time you turn it over you are shooting fuel into the cylinders. An easy check would be to smell the oil hole to see if it smells like fuel. If it does you might want to change it. I have also heard that there is a small chance you can have an engine fire with too much gas in the oil.

Joe
wouldn't the oil temp vaporize any fuel in the oil? I can change it and will if that's the best bet. I've done that before too....

Change now to ow40 amsoil synthetic, new stock plugs.

When trying to start in -25 f air , the fuel will not vaporize , ( todays quality ) ,take hot water pour across the throttle bodies, crank it , do not touch the throttle . away it will go , even at -45f !!

gsxr said:
Change now to ow40 amsoil synthetic, new stock plugs.

When trying to start in -25 f air , the fuel will not vaporize , ( todays quality ) ,take hot water pour across the throttle bodies, crank it , do not touch the throttle . away it will go , even at -45f !!

I've got new stock plugs in it now. I've only got 145 miles on it so I'm sticking with the Yamalube 0w40 until I get at least 1000 miles on it.

I wish I had the ability to find hot water when it's that cold where I ride.....electricity is available about 5% of the time.

Someone needs to invent a propane heater attachment to the block - stick a propane can and light it to warm up the block without electricity - just keep the propane above -40F...

Tal said:
Northern Sledder said:

Joe
wouldn't the oil temp vaporize any fuel in the oil? I can change it and will if that's the best bet. I've done that before too....

With small amounts, I'm almost sure that's the case. If you have a good amount in your oil though, that might make things a little more iffy. The fuel if enough will also break down your oil hurting it's protectant properties

well, I'm going to change the oil ... I mean it's brand new - better safe than sorry.... I found a 75 watt oil pan heater at Carquest, it's a 3x5 inch (7.5cmx12.5cm) thin patch that I am going to use high temp gasket caulk to stick on the lower end of my oil tank. 75 watts is 3x more than I need, but I'll timer-plug it in for a couple of hours or so before I need it.

Well I changed the oil and filter today....boy did it smell like fuel!!

Noticed some evaporated fuel moist spots inside the airbox too.

I guess flooding it 3 times really sent alot of fuel in to the oil, pretty amazing.

Oh well, now I have the right CR9EK plugs in it instead of EBs it came with, and an oil change, and it's snowing like crazy outside!!

Heading to the hills above treeline tomorrow - should be good!!

I need to get a few hundred more miles on this thing before it goes in the garage for Summer!

Back