• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2021 Venture - Starting Question

My son and I each have 2021 RS Venture TFs and we have the same cold start issue. We've only got about 90 miles on our sleds so far, so hoping the issue takes care of itself. I read somewhere else that the ecm can be reflashed if needed, anyone know anything about that?

These engines tend to start and run better on 87 octane fuel. If your having issues and running a higher octane try running 87 octane which is what the engine was designed to run on.

My son and I each have 2021 RS Venture TFs and we have the same cold start issue. We've only got about 90 miles on our sleds so far, so hoping the issue takes care of itself. I read somewhere else that the ecm can be reflashed if needed, anyone know anything about that?
Sorry, can't help you there!
I do not like all the electronic crap out there. Just more things to break down, and personal time wasters.
Social media? That should say, Anti-social Media.

Good luck with getting that bug ironed out!
Maybe your sled has covid, and can't breath properly?
Air filter okay? It's lungs.

Just a thought

Hey Russ. I spoke to to dealer about my starting issue. The told me to get a few tanks of gas through it, and see if it changes. Low and behold, I have gone through 3 tanks of gas now (about 320 km on machine), and it is now starting on the 1st try. Hopefully yours will be the same.

These engines tend to start and run better on 87 octane fuel. If your having issues and running a higher octane try running 87 octane which is what the engine was designed to run on.
Thanks for that insight Grizztracks. I have been running non-ethanol, which in my area is all 91-93. Would I be better off running the lower octane even if it contains 10% ethanol?

Sorry, can't help you there!
I do not like all the electronic crap out there. Just more things to break down, and personal time wasters.
Social media? That should say, Anti-social Media.

Good luck with getting that bug ironed out!
Maybe your sled has covid, and can't breath properly?
Air filter okay? It's lungs.

Just a thought
Jeez...I hope it doesn't have covid! LOL Both sleds are brand new and exhibiting the hard start, so I suspect it's not filters.

Hey Russ. I spoke to to dealer about my starting issue. The told me to get a few tanks of gas through it, and see if it changes. Low and behold, I have gone through 3 tanks of gas now (about 320 km on machine), and it is now starting on the 1st try. Hopefully yours will be the same.
Thanks Mike! I read your reply previously so hope ours follow suit with yours. Just wanted to throw that ecm thing out there and see if anyone had any first hand experience with that?

brothers 13 venture gt was happier running on 87 than 91 but as we usually took turns paying for gas at the stops and all the pumps in ontario are 3 grades, we usually filled the venture 1st and my apex 2nd or last so he would get all the low octane gas in the hose/pump.

Last edited:
Thanks for that insight Grizztracks. I have been running non-ethanol, which in my area is all 91-93. Would I be better off running the lower octane even if it contains 10% ethanol?

I've always ran 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol and never have had issues. I treat my gas if it's not going to be used for a few weeks and I always treat the fuel that goes into storage containers. These Yamaha 4 stroke engines are designed and mapped to run 87 octane. Running higher than that is not beneficial and because higher octane fuels require more energy for ignition it can cause hard cold starts.

I've always ran 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol and never have had issues. I treat my gas if it's not going to be used for a few weeks and I always treat the fuel that goes into storage containers. These Yamaha 4 stroke engines are designed and mapped to run 87 octane. Running higher than that is not beneficial and because higher octane fuels require more energy for ignition it can cause hard cold starts.
Interesting stuff. The dealer specifically told me to run high octane, but maybe that's just generic info he gives out. What are you treating your fuel with?

brothers 13 venture gt was happier running on 87 than 91 but as we usually took turns paying for gas at the stops and all the pumps in ontario are 3 grades, we usually filled the venture 1st and my apex 2nd or last so he would get all the low octane gas in the hose/pump.
Interesting

Interesting stuff. The dealer specifically told me to run high octane, but maybe that's just generic info he gives out.

I've heard so much garbage out of dealer's mouths that I rarely pay attention any more..... Like when the dealer told me that when I change the oil in my new 850cc Wolverine X2 to add all the oil back through the valve cover instead of filling the oil tank. :o|

A friend was having the same issue with a new to him Venture. After the first hard ride, it starts perfectly now.

Hi everyone,

I have a new 2021 Venture, with only 2 miles on it so far. I have started it up about a dozen times or so, and each time I go to start it, it won’t idle on its own until after the 3rd try turning the key and rolling it over. The 1st two attempts, it may idle for 1 second or so, and quit. Each time I turn the key to on, I wait until I hear the fuel pump go off, then I crank it over.

Is there a trick to getting these to idle after the first try turning the key? This is my first fuel injected sled.

Thanks!
Mike
Hi Mike,
I’ve owned Yamaha’s 4-stroke sleds since my 2003 Rx1 when they first came out and know exactly what you are talking about as my current machine is the EFI RS Venture TF and what I found myself doing (in cold temps as the almost immediate shutting off does not happen at first start up in my heated garage) is keeping the key turned until that hesitation of wanting to shut back down disappears. You won’t hurt anything or grind any starter gears. What is going to happen is once that cold engine wants to stop after only 1-2 seconds of running is start itself right back up again. In extremely cold temperatures I can hear my engine wanting to die twice while keeping the key turned. Average cold mornings just once, but however many times your engine wants to stop, keep that key turning over and over until it sounds like it wants to stop dieing. This is only a total of 3-5 seconds.
I had a 2008 Phazer which I would do the same with. My father has the VK Pro and although not EFI it’s still the best way to start his in cold as well. The absolute no-no with these sleds is to turn over the engine and stop after a few seconds and then try repeatedly over and over again. You’ll just drain your battery to the point it isn’t cranking fast enough to start anyways.
I have to say, my RX-1 started better in -35 than my truck. I’ve never had block heaters installed in my 4-strokes and knowing how to start them in the cold is key to not needing them. The Rx1 at full choke would start with the first flick of the key and I do mean flick, there was never any holding of the key even in bitter cold conditions. I would then immediately turn the choke to half and slowly turn choke completely off mere seconds after start-up.
It took awhile for me to convince my father of this technique as his VK is also the carbureted model with manual choke but after fouling his plugs a few times and having to change them each time they do. He starts his Professional this way also. This being his 2nd VK Pro, his first traded in at 44,000kms.
Didn’t mean to write a book here lol but from one experienced Yamaha 4-stroke owner to a novice, here you go.

Back