• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New guy new ride

dirk

Extreme
I'm looking to buy my first sled. I rode when I was a kid but now I can afford my own and want to get into the sport. I've decided on a Nytro but not sure what model I should get. I've read quite a bit but there's just too much information to try and absorb. I don't have an unlimited budget so an 08 is most likely going to be the year but there are a few 09's in my price range. I'm not sure what model would be the best and I see some have fox floats and some have the GYTR front shocks but is there a difference in the rear? If properly set up is one better than the other on groomed northern Ontario trails?

I just picked up a nytro for this year, haven't ridden it yet so I don't have much to offer. However some things I considered when purchasing is that 09's had different suspension geometry in the front. The shocks from what I have read are a personal preference deal. Floats are lighter but the setup is totally different and unlike a traditional coil over. Some guys like the ride of the floats, others prefer the gytrs. 09 SE models and 2010 and newer models have the different tunnel as well, i'm not sure what kind of difference it makes. Welcome to the site!

I like the XTX. I have a 2011 and love it. It's great on trail and performs excellent off trail. Like most they still need some tweeking. 1.75 track does nicely.

Welcome to the site. The people here are the best in helping you with your sled. I would go with at least an 09, preferably a 10 since most of the updates and improvements will be done. I have two Nytros, a 121 and 136, I love them both. Keep in mind you should be prepared to beef up the front end with the gusset kit. I love the 1.75' track and don't think I will ever go less. It is excellent in all conditions except pure ice. Keep asking questions because anything you want to know is available from the people on this site. I have made so many friends for life here who all share the same interests. Best of luck to you and welcome!

brendan.9 said:
nytro xtx best nytro out there, can take those bumps, go in the deep stuff, faster that the rtx, don't notice that track behind you at all.

X2

I came off a 98 V-max 700 121" and I do not notice the 144" at all, until i jam on the gas or get into the deep...then it works awesome!

Yup xtx you cant go wrong

dirk said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Trying to get an 09 xtx with low km.

Where you located?

Dont worry about KM on these machines. They last forever. Not like the 2strokes of old. 10,000k is nothing. Heck you only have to change oil filters every 5 years.

If you are in MB,SK or wester ON send me a PM. I have an 09 with some add ons like airframe boards, backcountry track, new skis, roest plate etc.

The XTX is a great sled. It sure does feel short and fun to ride on trails and fun off trail. Works just about everywhere.

Personally, I would consider a Vector instead of a Nytro. I tried for 4 seasons trying to get my Nytro set up for long distance groomed trail riding. I just couldn't get the Nytro comfortable enough as it's designed for stand up rough trail riding.

Don't overlook the Vectors.

Well I come from riding dirtbikes and feel that this is the right style for me. I'm located in southern Ontario but I don't mind the drive if the price and sled are right. I'll be driving close to 4hrs one way to look at the 09 with 2500km on it, he's asking a great price and because I don't know too much about sled maintanence yet I figured low mileage was a smarter way to go not because of the motor but the rest of the sled which seems to have its quirks shall we call them.

Read up on common issues like subframe, ball joints, bushings, etc. and know what to look for when you look at the Nytro. If the owner hasn't addressed these issues, it can get pretty pricey fixing these issues before you hit the trails.

dirk:

XTX 09 all the way. It has the new tunnel which is superior to the RTX and MTX's of 08 and 09.

My 2010 XTX has maybe 7000km's on it and so far, here's what I have touched:

5 sets of hyfax (buy ice scratchers)

And that's about it!

In the interest of honest disclosure, this year its in for quite a bit:
-A-Arm and spindle bushings
-upper ball joints
-exhaust donuts

so its gonna be 700 bucks and we are back on the snow.

Like the guys said, don't really worry too much about kilometers. They are very easy machines to maintain and the motors never expire

OTM

Back