• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New member from smokey side of TY has Apex & a few quest

siudog

Hey guys, been on 4 stroke motocrossers for years, now I made the move on sleds! After 2 weeks of reading Apex threads my head is spinning!

I just bought an '08 APEX LTX kinda set up for mountains by a bankrupted dealer. It has an unknown exhaust system, bar risers, and clutch & gearing work the previous owner says will not work on trails. I have the stock parts to go back in and will be selling the other stuff. I'd like to take advantage of the conversion back to stock and put the 23 tooth gear in there. Im 275# fully dressed. How will the stock clutching work with the 23 and my heft? Iread the gear is great, but nobody talks about the need to clutch because of it... I trailride casually (more of a sight seer, but the motocrosser in me let's it rip in the twisties on a few rare occasions) and I even cruise under 75 across most lakes. I'm not a perfectionist, and quite happy with just about any set-up as long as there's snow, but if there is anything I can do to make it better, now's the time. Upgrading springs, weights, helix, etc. is w/i my ability and budget. If anyone would be nice enough to call and discuss, I'm at 815 690-9182.

call Allen Ulmer at Ulmer racing (site sponsors) he can help

You will want the "big boy" spring in the rear, depending on mileage, you may want to have the shocks redone... i had mine custom valved at PIONEER at was really impressed, they also put the heavy spring on for me as well....

you will love the apex, it is a great sled!

Im about 290 fully dressed and I had pioneer revalve my rear shock and install the fat boy spring and I love the ride. Its head and shoulders above my 05 RX-1 that had the mono with just the spring. I highly recommend the revalve.

I dont think you will need any clutching changes from stock with a 23 tooth. My rtx has a 24 tooth and stock clutching and pulls my heft well. One smack of the flipper and the skis are in the air and shees off........

Welcome the clean smelling side of TY. ;)!

Given your weight, you will really want to have the fat boy spring installed because you will bottom out the rear suspension too easily. There is a link to several threads in the Apex/Attak FAQ sticky about the spring, sizes, and where to purchase.

The stock clutching is pretty good. I'd suggest you back to stock and leave it that way until after you have ridden the sled.

Thanks for the input, I'll leave clutching stock and go on Adkins to avoid the Fat Boy spring!

Swiss Sledder said:
You will probably need to loose a lot of weight. I am 195 pounds and 220 fully dressed. I can bottom the suspension pretty easily on the big bumps but have not installed the big boy spring. Hope that helps.

Yup.. I think ya might better get the spring... For me its not an option. Im 6'6" tall. Ya know what I would look like if I were 150lbs... Even If I was skinny Id still weigh around 220 buck naked at least... I bought the spring before I had the apex home......

Just added Pioneer revalve and big boy spring to my '06 Apex. Night and day difference on the ride. Wish I would have done it last year when I purchased the sled.

bankershrs said:
Just added Pioneer revalve and big boy spring to my '06 Apex. Night and day difference on the ride. Wish I would have done it last year when I purchased the sled.

Thats the part I missed. I cant compare it to before because I had the revalve and spring done before I rode the sled but it definatley rides great. I rode it hard and it just worked for me.. I didn't hit too many hard bumps but I didn't bottom once in almost 100 miles. Gunna go out and try it again tomorrow afternoon.. ..

On my RX-1 with the mono. I had the fat boy spring installed but didn't do the revalve and it made it so it didn't bottom out nearly as much but it didn't really ride much better. Seamed to buck kinda hard.
The apex, with the revalve just rides as smooth as butter.....

Back