• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Nytro Owner...what to do?

snowmaaan

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Sidewinder, Viper XTX Turbo, Apex SE, Vmax 4, SRX 700
I just picked up an 08 RTX 40th coming off of an Attak. I have heard things about front ends and ball joints and was curious if I should wait to machine in hopes that Yami has update kits for us 08 guys or go ahead and machine away? Also, any news on the Sub Frame?

Was thinking of extending to a 128/36 or even an XTX skid length of 144 with an Excel Pipe and Ulmer Clutching. Thoughts? If Allen would work with me I would love a Charger on this thing...however rode one and know the engines are awesome stock.

Also, are the stock skiis acceptable once the front end mods are done or are aftermarket needed?

Thanks
Snowmaan

Hey Snomann

I'm from Prior Lake Minnesota originally, if you want you can send me a pm There are a couple things I would do to make your front end hold up for the long hall. Yes there will be some updates coming out also. But some bracing on the subframe and upper and lower a arms is a must along with your spindles. There are some pic'c floating around this site but I could send you some from my files.
Go Vikings!!!

My husbands Nytro has stock skiis with dual carbides, and it handles really well. I am thinking ouf just trying dual carbides on my phazer before upgrading the skiis, to see what I get.

Re: Hey Snomann

nytro23 said:
I'm from Prior Lake Minnesota originally, if you want you can send me a pm There are a couple things I would do to make your front end hold up for the long hall. Yes there will be some updates coming out also. But some bracing on the subframe and upper and lower a arms is a must along with your spindles. There are some pic'c floating around this site but I could send you some from my files.
Go Vikings!!!

Hey Nytro23! Could you also send those pics to me along with a description what to do? I would really appreciate that. I can PM you me e-mail address if you´d like. Thanks!

What to do with your new Nytro????????

How about you get ready to grip and rip on the crazy fast sled. I would wait til summer just in case for update to the 08 Nytro's. If nothing by october, many of us will doing our updating ourselves.

Snowman07 said:

How about you get ready to grip and rip on the crazy fast sled. I would wait til summer just in case for update to the 08 Nytro's. If nothing by october, many of us will doing our updating ourselves.

I'm interested in what updates you'll be doing yourself. Care to elaborate?

First thing I would do is talk to Ross at Hygear. The suspension on this thing is not good straight from the factory. The floats are not valved correctly! I swithched floats with my buddy who has an apex and you wouldn't believe the difference. IMO suspension and skis are the number one problem with this sled.

I would ride it first. Make sure your toe is set right. Maybe try a set of tripple points and set your floats around 60 for starters. I didn't make any big aftermarket purchases on mine and I love it. The Nytro is a drivers sled. Not a rider/cruiser sled. If your a aggressive rider that likes to move around the Nytro is awesome.

BLUEBALLER said:
Snowman07 said:

You should know yourself. You posted the results of machineing the front end. That and other settle changes might bring a better controlled Nytro. Not that it was that far out of whack, but it'll settle it down

ride it and smile! i have an 08 RTX that was flat out awesome this year for me. best sled ive ever owned. for a first year sled i can't complain too much. yamaha has a great chasis in this new nytro. the first thing i'd do is change the ski's. i ran pilots on mine this year and it made the world of difference. only real issues that i had is the "left wet foot syndrome" and had to replace the lower balljoints. enjoy it!!

Snowman07 said:
BLUEBALLER said:
Snowman07 said:

You should know yourself. You posted the results of machineing the front end. That and other settle changes might bring a better controlled Nytro. Not that it was that far out of whack, but it'll settle it down

I'm not done yet, got a few more I wanna try. Front end mod helped, but it's not the be all end all answer I'm looking for.

Im going to be buying a new 08 nytro also and have a few mods in mind. I am going to do the front end mod, new skis, flip the rubbers and send the shocks to hygear. Fyi, hygear told me that the std shocks are easier to get dialed in and turn out to be better than the floats do.

Back