• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Paint

vicman

Extreme
Just got all my plastic painted!!! I have a ton of hours into smoothing the side panels. Black with Thunder Blue Pearl. Will post more pictures when I get the sled all back together.
:yam:

CIMG1862.jpg

CIMG1869.jpg

CIMG1851.jpg

CIMG1850.jpg

CIMG1854.jpg

CIMG1870.jpg

CIMG1857.jpg

Wow, I like it can't wait to see it put back together and on the sled. That will be sharp on a snow covered sunny day! Nice job!

Bluebullet said:
Wow, I like it can't wait to see it put back together and on the sled. That will be sharp on a snow covered sunny day! Nice job!

X's 2! I bet that will look great, take some pics once together in natural sunlight. looking forward to seeing it!

It was a long process! I started by sanding with 80 grit to get the texture somewhat smoothed out. then went over it again with 180 and then 320. after that sprayed it with Bulldog adhesion promoter, let that sit for about 10-15 minutes and hit it with a heavy build self etching primer. Once that dried for about 24 hours it was time to sand it again!! This time sanded it with 400. once it was all sanded cleaned all the surfaces and sprayed them black. let the black tack up and used the bull dog as a binder for the Blue pearl. then cleared all of it. it was alot of work doing it the way i did it.

My advise to anyone who is thinking about doing this would be to save yourself a ton of time by scuffing the surfaces with a red scotch brite, Bulldog, and give it 3-4 heavy coats of primer. Let that dry for 24 hours then sand with 400. It will still have the texured look before sanding but you will be able to smooth that out with the 400 git paper easily. I did this on the lower belly pan pieces because you dont see 90% of them and you cant tell the difference.

vicman said:
It was a long process! I started by sanding with 80 grit to get the texture somewhat smoothed out. then went over it again with 180 and then 320. after that sprayed it with Bulldog adhesion promoter, let that sit for about 10-15 minutes and hit it with a heavy build self etching primer. Once that dried for about 24 hours it was time to sand it again!! This time sanded it with 400. once it was all sanded cleaned all the surfaces and sprayed them black. let the black tack up and used the bull dog as a binder for the Blue pearl. then cleared all of it. it was alot of work doing it the way i did it.

My advise to anyone who is thinking about doing this would be to save yourself a ton of time by scuffing the surfaces with a red scotch brite, Bulldog, and give it 3-4 heavy coats of primer. Let that dry for 24 hours then sand with 400. It will still have the texured look before sanding but you will be able to smooth that out with the 400 git paper easily. I did this on the lower belly pan pieces because you dont see 90% of them and you cant tell the difference.
Are you basically saying the primer was able to fill a lot of the texture on its own?

Yes having done it i would have put 3-4 heavy coats of high build primer sanded it with 400 and i think it would give the same result. worst case you sand and do one more thin coat and sand again. But this would save TONS of time!! And yes i would do it again. i think its going to look good and you dont see alot of apex's with it done.

Back