• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NEW RX-1 owner needs advise

FIB

Hi, I just joined, (because of my 2003 RX-1 purchase) and hope I can get some good advise.

#1, I'm primarilly a "trail" rider. I want my sled to A, be DEPENDABLE. B, Handle well. C, run well.

The sled I bought is a 2003 RX-1 LE. Its silver, and has reverse.
It has 3,800mi.

The clutch seems to be VERY noisey at idle. I have an XTC 600, and a 700DLX. Neither of them make near as much noise. Is there a set milage that the clutch should be gone through?

Also, I plan a trip to the U.P. in a couple weeks. Are there any trouble spots or general things you check particular to these sleds??

This sled has a 1.250" ( 1-1/4") ripsaw track. What is a SAFE, length stud to run? Again, I DO NOT want problems. I'd rather have a little less traction, than damage something with a stud that was a little too long.

Plus, I'm a big guy. ( over 260)

Thanks for your help.

FIB

welcome to the site,first your clutch rattle is probably the gear reduction system,just up your idle till it stops,usually does the trick,as for studs,i have the 1 1/4 ripsaw and 1 3/8 studs,im not sure if the 03's have the same clearance as the 04,mines a warrior.

FIB said:
Hi, I just joined, (because of my 2003 RX-1 purchase) and hope I can get some good advise.

#1, I'm primarilly a "trail" rider. I want my sled to A, be DEPENDABLE. B, Handle well. C, run well.

The sled I bought is a 2003 RX-1 LE. Its silver, and has reverse.
It has 3,800mi.

The clutch seems to be VERY noisey at idle. I have an XTC 600, and a 700DLX. Neither of them make near as much noise. Is there a set milage that the clutch should be gone through?

Also, I plan a trip to the U.P. in a couple weeks. Are there any trouble spots or general things you check particular to these sleds??

This sled has a 1.250" ( 1-1/4") ripsaw track. What is a SAFE, length stud to run? Again, I DO NOT want problems. I'd rather have a little less traction, than damage something with a stud that was a little too long.

Plus, I'm a big guy. ( over 260)

Thanks for your help.

FIB

I'd at least get rid of the progressive front rate springs, and carry a quart of oil under the hood if you don't know if it's a 'oil burner' or not.

T

Travis... Do some of these drink oil?? At what rate??

Also, what oil do you use?

I ride a 04 HONDA Goldwing that I use 5W40 ROTELLA T synthetic in. Is that weight OK, or do you use a "0"W something?

The noise I thought was my clutch is actually coming from underneith the tunnel.

An exhaust rattle I'm guessing???

FIB said:
Yep......seems to be the ones that were broken in easy....i.e., by the book. The guys that just ran the snot out of them from the get go seated the rings better and tend to be the ones that don't use oil. Unfortunately I did by the book on my 03 LE so I use a little. About a qt. in 1K mi.

FIB said:
Also, what oil do you use? I ride a 04 HONDA Goldwing that I use 5W40 ROTELLA T synthetic in. Is that weight OK, or do you use a "0"W something?
According to the owners manual any quality SAE 0W30 oil is fine. They'd obviously prefer you use the Yamalube CW0W30 but if you don't have time for a run to the dealership any quality automotive oil will work.

The guys that have switched to synthetics seem to be happy with the switch but I seem to recall some discussion about some of them starting to use a little oil after switching. Could just be my memory.

Just as a side note, I broke my 06 Nytro in by riding it like I stole it and after 1700 or so mi. no signs of any oil usage. Your mileage may vary :Rockon:

As far as dependability issues, with that many miles take a look at the jackshaft bearing on the secondary side and see if you have the updated 04 locking collar. Other than that gas and go! there are a few updates that the majority of us 03 owners did that helped with some of the first year weaknesses, Longer Links, stiffer swaybar, straight rate springs and the locking collar on the secondary. I have the exact same sled with 7600 miles and am as happy with it today as the day I got it ;)!

Ive been using Mobil 1 in mine. Bought at 2000 mi now have 4000, Never uses any oil.

Rattle might be exhast shield, mine is too right now. Ice broke it last year and I fixed it but it's back.

I ve read to remove it... I think I will..

Good luck :yam:

I'm 6'6" and here are the mods I did:

'06 Nytro Seat
Powermadd pivot riser and 3" block
Powermadd Hand Guards
13mm stabilizer bar
Pioneer easy adjusters (front shocks)
Simmons Skis (9" Bergstrom TP's inside - and 4" standard outside)
136" Ripsaw with 162 (outer and center belts) Now it's an unstudded Predator
Suregrip III tunnel grips

The seat and pivot riser is an absolute must to accommodate my height. I also shaved a broken Sportech windshield so the powermadd guards would clear. I have an expert-x but that's a matter of preferance.

Check your oil. Its were the wires plug into the oil tank. Remove wires and unscrew. Change it every year and keep it full. Its a project, but once you do it a couple times its not that bad. I use Mobil 1 0w50 synthetic oil in mine. Just seat the dipstick in the resevior without screwing it in to check oil.

Jack shaft and drive shaft bearings are two that get wear. Typical snowmobile. My sled had 4800 miles when both of them needed replaced. There is an update on the jackshaft bearing. Purchase all needed parts from the '05 model. Much nicer setup.

All kinds of mods to help handling if they havent been done yet. Heavier sway bar.....bla bla.

FIB said:

Also, what oil do you use?

I ride a 04 HONDA Goldwing that I use 5W40 ROTELLA T synthetic in. Is that weight OK, or do you use a "0"W something?

I wouldent hesitate to use Rotella in one of these sleds. In fact, there is not much that I would not use Rotella in:)

T

My clutch rattled the same, turned up to about 1800 rpm at idle and it stopped but this year I had a shim put in and now it doesn't make a sound at 1600.

I use 4-stroke 0w30 oil and have been advised it's better to burn regular fuel than supreme which I didn't know til last week.

The longest you can go with studs is 1 and 3/8 for now without protection.

You may want to look at hisers for the bars and a new seat, and your front end will need an update if it hasn't been done. Check the swaybars, some were very thin.

Also, if you're going to stud use doubles as this machine has too much torque and you'll rip the singles out if you're not careful. It's worth the extra to save a track.

Back