• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New spring for Yamaha Secondary, no coil bind and better torsion

Increased power to the ground. 3 sled lengths on stock clutching in 300'. Less belt wear. Better fuel mileage. Lower smooth engagement. Feels like a different sled after installing kit.

you guys are going to cost me a lot of money this year. in fact it has already started got my spring helix and gates belt in the mail the other day. maybe should have just got the primary stuff too.

its even harder to wait to try the sled stock when the parts are already in the garage too.

Shagman or nospro im just about ready to order my big venom clutch kit for my stock 17 viper other then a 1.75 BC track. Should I also include this orange spring? Sounds like the two go hand and hand. Im also assuming they will set the kit up with the orange spring in mind or does it not make a difference in the weight set up? Off topic but im assuming I should order the BIGV-48 kit when ordering off the site? I wasn't real clear on that part of the ordering. Thanks guys!

Shagman or nospro im just about ready to order my big venom clutch kit for my stock 17 viper other then a 1.75 BC track. Should I also include this orange spring? Sounds like the two go hand and hand. Im also assuming they will set the kit up with the orange spring in mind or does it not make a difference in the weight set up? Off topic but im assuming I should order the BIGV-48 kit when ordering off the site? I wasn't real clear on that part of the ordering. Thanks guys!

The kit will come with a blue secondary spring. The kit works very well.

The orange secondary spring is an option spring that was configured in the winder because we couldn't get the blue spring to have enough twist without coil binding....the orange was invented to higher side-pressure and twist like the stock Viper and Sidewinder spring without coil binding.

You will benefit from the orange spring a little, but mainly for the ones who wanted higher top speeds and more performance off of the line.

Just an FYI on the new orange secondary spring from Thunder Products....

Friend of mine who is running a turbo viper on asphalt gained 3 mph this weekend at the Amsnow shootout.....just by putting in the orange secondary spring. He is happier than a tornado in a trailer park because he could not hit 150mph with the spring he was using. He is now a member of the 150 mph club!!!

Questions that have come up about the new orange secondary spring from Thunder Products.....

(RxSly said:

Ok thanks for the knowledge NOS-PRO! Just to confirm you're talking about putting the sidewinder orange spring in a NA Viper?

You've just opened up a world of questions lol I can't wait 3 months for snow!
)

(RTX said:

So your saying the new orange spring from thunder products is a better spring than the blue spring they send with the viper heavy hitter kit?
)

The midnight blue spring that comes with the big venom kit for the viper is a great spring and is included in the kit because that is how the kit was setup to run. Lonn asked @shagman and myself to come up with a kit that would be amazing for the Viper. We did that and the kit was made to use a softer spring with thinner wire diameter so it wouldn't coil bind. At that time, we didn't know about the sidewinder and what would be needed for it. After the winder came out and with the new secondary still coil binding, we tried the midnight blue spring but needed something stronger so a new company made Shagman and myself some new springs to test. After a few, we got a winner. It was then that we thought about how the spring would work in the older problem sleds with coil binding. This new orange spring is turning out to be the solution to a lot of sled clutch problems....possibly even belt problems.

But, what happened was this year the sidewinder needed a new secondary spring to eliminate coil bind and be strong enough to handle the hpr from the winder. After the orange spring was tested from mid spring to just a couple weeks ago, we had people try that new orange spring in their sleds. Apexes, Nytros, RX1's, 12 psi viper turbo running on E85 and steroids (LOL) and numerous sidewinders on asphalt and grass with huge improvements and some pretty impressive wins. We found out that the stock clutch setups on the apex, the Nytros, RX1's, Vipers and winders gained with the orange spring. Was it just eliminating coil bind? Maybe.... When I looked into why secondary springs were breaking...I got @shagman to verify that Yamaha had a huge problem with coil binding the secondary spring which was very noticeable on the turbo sleds because of the more power breaking the stock pink spring where the viper and Nytro didn't have the power to break the spring, just coil bind and the engine said "Oops, i'm done...no more mph for you!" This answers the question why the Vipers and Nytros never were able to see over 100 mph with the stock spring unless you machined the secondary, changed over to a complete clutch kit or shimmed the helix.

Olaf Aaen's theory of clutching....(heavy weights in the primary, heavy spring in the secondary....light weights in the primary, light spring in the secondary) It's all about making all the components work together.

The orange spring is recommended for all turbo sleds, clutched or non-clutched (in most cases no added/removed weight is needed, but conditions and sleds will vary because of tunes, exhausts and intake mods) and will work great with stock clutch setups that are currently using the stock pink or white secondary spring. Some have purchased the new orange spring for their clutch kit versions and will let me know how they work on the snow, but I am guessing they will work really good.

Hope this gets in depth and detail about how the spring was thought about, tested, proven and now available to you.

Good write up, Terry! ;)!

What are other guys doing for winding the new orange spring? I determined that 2/3 (50°) wind equals about the same as 6/1 (70°) on the stock pink spring, which is the stock setting for my 2012 Apex XTX.

Last edited:
Questions that have come up about the new orange secondary spring from Thunder Products.....

(RxSly said:

Ok thanks for the knowledge NOS-PRO! Just to confirm you're talking about putting the sidewinder orange spring in a NA Viper?

You've just opened up a world of questions lol I can't wait 3 months for snow!
)

(RTX said:

So your saying the new orange spring from thunder products is a better spring than the blue spring they send with the viper heavy hitter kit?
)

The midnight blue spring that comes with the big venom kit for the viper is a great spring and is included in the kit because that is how the kit was setup to run. Lonn asked @shagman and myself to come up with a kit that would be amazing for the Viper. We did that and the kit was made to use a softer spring with thinner wire diameter so it wouldn't coil bind. At that time, we didn't know about the sidewinder and what would be needed for it. After the winder came out and with the new secondary still coil binding, we tried the midnight blue spring but needed something stronger so a new company made Shagman and myself some new springs to test. After a few, we got a winner. It was then that we thought about how the spring would work in the older problem sleds with coil binding. This new orange spring is turning out to be the solution to a lot of sled clutch problems....possibly even belt problems.

But, what happened was this year the sidewinder needed a new secondary spring to eliminate coil bind and be strong enough to handle the hpr from the winder. After the orange spring was tested from mid spring to just a couple weeks ago, we had people try that new orange spring in their sleds. Apexes, Nytros, RX1's, 12 psi viper turbo running on E85 and steroids (LOL) and numerous sidewinders on asphalt and grass with huge improvements and some pretty impressive wins. We found out that the stock clutch setups on the apex, the Nytros, RX1's, Vipers and winders gained with the orange spring. Was it just eliminating coil bind? Maybe.... When I looked into why secondary springs were breaking...I got @shagman to verify that Yamaha had a huge problem with coil binding the secondary spring which was very noticeable on the turbo sleds because of the more power breaking the stock pink spring where the viper and Nytro didn't have the power to break the spring, just coil bind and the engine said "Oops, i'm done...no more mph for you!" This answers the question why the Vipers and Nytros never were able to see over 100 mph with the stock spring unless you machined the secondary, changed over to a complete clutch kit or shimmed the helix.

Olaf Aaen's theory of clutching....(heavy weights in the primary, heavy spring in the secondary....light weights in the primary, light spring in the secondary) It's all about making all the components work together.

The orange spring is recommended for all turbo sleds, clutched or non-clutched (in most cases no added/removed weight is needed, but conditions and sleds will vary because of tunes, exhausts and intake mods) and will work great with stock clutch setups that are currently using the stock pink or white secondary spring. Some have purchased the new orange spring for their clutch kit versions and will let me know how they work on the snow, but I am guessing they will work really good.

Hope this gets in depth and detail about how the spring was thought about, tested, proven and now available to you.
For the orange spring install do I put it in 3-3?

For the orange spring install do I put it in 3-3?

For the Viper, 2-3 for trail and 3-3 if you want fast corner to corner or off-trail performance.

Good write up, Terry! ;)!

What are other guys doing for winding the new orange spring? I determined that 2/3 (50°) wind equals about the same as 6/1 (70°) on the stock pink spring, which is the stock setting for my 2012 Apex XTX.

Most are winding it 3-3 because some are off-trail and drag racing.

What wind with the big venom kit in the primary on a winder?

Back