• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to asphalt racing - 07 Phazer

Mars

Pro
Hi All,

Just wanted to get into index racing the Phazer on asphalt. I figure it should be consistent, having only 80HP and EFI, and well, a built in radiator...

I have already purchased a track 128"X10.? I have a rail ext. and 8" wheels our back.

How many more wheels should I add to the center and where to buy them? I was thiking of the Yam marginal snow kit for starters... Then, I don't know..

What about skis? I have seen most go for near 500$, are there any cheaper ones out there ? I don't need light weight, ect, just going for max consistency.

Cooling, to be honest, I don't think I will need anything... it's 660' and we NEVER hot lap. Worst case I'd have 20 mins between runs, more than likely over an hour though...

Any other tips ? I am trying to get into this sport on a budget. I also race my car, so, I know the concept of braket racing, I've just never done it on a sled.

I think I also need a tether cord, which the phazer does not come with, obviously safety gear as well.

Thanks!

You will probably get away with just adding the marginal snow wheels at the curve in the rails. Take out the sliders.

Safety equipment will probably be just the snell 2005 helmet, leather boots/shoes that cover the ankle, leather gloves if you stay under 120 mph which you will. Your local track could have different rules. You will need a tether. Full leathers if you can afford them. Ebay is the place for these in my opinion.

There are many guys running those Black asphalt skis with the wide wheels. I forget who makes them but they are nice and are only $300 brand new. Hopefully, someone can chime in with the brand name and website.

You will need a cooler for sure. In the summer, your sled will not cool down in 20 minutes. It will get really close to overheat at the end of one run but will only cool down about 20 degrees in 20 minutes. Just my opinion. You can make one for less than $100 if you can find a cheap or free car battery.

Thought I'd reply...

I have most of the stuff I need :

asphalt.jpg

Can't wait for the snow to melt !

Err, wait, I like snow.

haha

Does anyone know where I can get replacement wheels for the ski's in this picture? I have the same kind not sure who makes them,i bought a set used.
Anyone know who makes these ski's

Thanks for any help.

Mars said:
Thought I'd reply...

I have most of the stuff I need :

asphalt.jpg

Can't wait for the snow to melt !

Err, wait, I like snow.

haha

Quick Update...

Ran just a couple time trials, The event got rained out before Eliminations could begin.

the sled is slow, but It's consistent, as I thought it would be.

Heat was not an issue at all. No cool down cart, nothing, not even that Yamaha issued fan. It's stock like I bought it. by the end of the day I was driving it around the track / pit like a pit bike. LOL. It was a hot day as well. That rad serves its purpose very well.

Eight mile, I got 2 runs in, 8.33 @ 87 + 8.34 @ 87... So, You can see, it's quite consistent... It pretty much dead hooks out of the hole as well. I am really looking forward to racing next time around.

These sleds make good coat racks, haha, believe it or not, this is the only pic I have of the thing in race trim...

drag010.jpg

The track photographers took alot of pics of it too though, I will wait for them to pop up on the website.

It was reallly out of place, most sleds there were slammed to the ground and had sheet metal air dams and everything, and then, out comes the mosquito Phazer thing. haha. It was honestly one of the most fun thigs I've ever done though.

My street car, 91 cavalier w/ boost went 8.20's and the sled is still WAY more fun !! haha.

n503531284_1393062_483.jpg

Back