• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New vector to much oil

STORM-CHASER

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I got an 05 left over last spring, I never checked the oil, today i pull it in to to the first oil change and I decided to check it to see if it burned any in the first 500 miles, well the oil level was overfull 1 1/4 inch above the F mark. The way them oil tanks are I dont think it would hurt anything, But the book says be carful not to over fill, Just thought I post so if some of you guys wanted to check, not sure if dealer or factory fills those. :die

STORM-CHASER said:
I got an 05 left over last spring, I never checked the oil, today i pull it in to to the first oil change and I decided to check it to see if it burned any in the first 500 miles, well the oil level was overfull 1 1/4 inch above the F mark. The way them oil tanks are I dont think it would hurt anything, But the book says be carful not to over fill, Just thought I post so if some of you guys wanted to check, not sure if dealer or factory fills those. :die

It's gotta be warm to be accurate. 10-15 minutes of running, according to the owner's manual.

I thought it was more to pump it around the engine....now having said that it would settle in the bottom of the crankcase...hmm...

All I know is if I check it cold it's too high, and if I run it a bit it's OK.

Are you using the dip stick right?/ Warm the motor up... Wipe off the stick, and just sit it on the openning without screwing it in...... MM.

MadMax said:
Are you using the dip stick right?/ Warm the motor up... Wipe off the stick, and just sit it on the openning without screwing it in...... MM.
Yes. It was fine after the oil change , Just somwere along the line someone over filled it.

For peace of mind I would remove the side cover and drain some out.... That way it won't try to suck it out.. One thing about the vectors... If you do a complete change-filter-both drain bolts.. It should take 3 full litters to fill. ;)! MM.

MadMax said:
For peace of mind I would remove the side cover and drain some out.... That way it won't try to suck it out.. One thing about the vectors... If you do a complete change-filter-both drain bolts.. It should take 3 full litters to fill. ;)! MM.
YA I did the oil change and it took just what the book said 3.2 qts. should be good now

Curious, where do you pour it? The manual says it takes ~3qts. But then it says only to pour 2Qts into the tank before starting it.

When/where does the third quart go?

Attachments

• ripsaw 196 1.JPG
    ripsaw 196 1.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 54
  • ripsaw 196 2.JPG
    ripsaw 196 2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ripsaw 196 3.JPG
    ripsaw 196 3.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 58
  • ripsaw 196 4.JPG
    ripsaw 196 4.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 60
  • ripsaw 196 5.JPG
    ripsaw 196 5.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 63
Pour two in the tank.. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes. Then pour the last liter of oil into the tank..Do not pour oil into the valve cover cap... ;)! I have found that you need to check the oil with the engine just warm....... Not "HOT".. Makes a big difference on the dip stick.MM

OK, just had a thought... If you are using yamalube in the new 4-S bottles.. They are liter bottles.. Not quart bottles.. It only takes "3" full bottles to fill... If you are using quart bottles with different oil it will take 3 full bottles and .2 quarts from a 4th... Could this be it???????????????MM.

MadMax said:
OK, just had a thought... If you are using yamalube in the new 4-S bottles.. They are liter bottles.. Not quart bottles.. It only takes "3" full bottles to fill... If you are using quart bottles with different oil it will take 3 full bottles and .2 quarts from a 4th... Could this be it???????????????MM.
You are right max I thought they were quarts but they are litters, it still took alitte more than the 3 to fill. I will recheck next time I warm it up, Thanks

A little bit of metric versus imperial measurement knowledge. A litre is a bit smaller than a quart.
1 imperial gallon = 4 quarts or 4.54 litres
So if yo are adding quarts you should be adding less. In Canada we now measure in litres as in Europe. In the USA it is still quarts.

Back